Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you hit your panic button this draft?
Waiting until Rd 4 or later for OL, waiting until Rd 5 or later for DL, waiting until Rd 5 or later for pass catcher.

The Bengals' worst positions last year were OL and DL, and they need another solid-or-better pass catcher now with Green gone and no one brought in to replace.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:11 AM)J24 Wrote: We were dead last in sacks and TFLs last season! It's a big need especially over a #3 WR.

Reader played less than 5 games. Ogunjobi wasn't on the team. Hendrickson wasn't on the team. Tupou opted out. It's a MUCH different D-line than last year's. 
Reply/Quote
Most excited: Akili Smith, he seemed genuinely pumped to be a Bengal.

Most disappointed: Cedric Ogbuehi; I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Who?"
Reply/Quote
I am going to panic if we do not get an OT or O-Lineman in the first round and second round. I am going to panic because I do not want to see Burrow get hurt again. I also think the Bengals will be a national joke if we do not take O-Lineman after what happened to Burrow. It will just be the same old Bengals if we take a receiver in the first round. I think my fear will come true and we will take a receiver and watch all the other teams move around us to take all of the other top offensive lineman before the Bengals pick again in the second round.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 11:56 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Reader played less than 5 games. Ogunjobi wasn't on the team. Hendrickson wasn't on the team. Tupou opted out. It's a MUCH different D-line than last year's. 

Reader isn't really a pass rusher.
He's an elite run stuffer and may help command some double teams to free up the actual pass rushers, but he's not a great pass rusher himself. Same with Tupou, just slightly worse as a run defender.

We should hope/expect that Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ogunjobi get increased pressure, with Reader either helping command double-teams or even swapping out for a draft pick on passing downs occasionally.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't really believe in hitting the panic button during the draft. Hypothetically, I'd like an X WR and an OL by the end of two, but the board always falls in ways you don't expect. There are OL with 4th round grades(Cleveland, Green) that I'd be good with as immediate starters. Plus, there's always post draft and post June 1 cuts to fill holes. Hell, there's some really good FA's out there now that are recovering from injury(Fisher, Schwartz, Vernon).

Most excited moment would probably be Andrew Billings. He was mocked to us a ton in the first and I was ecstatic we got him in 4.

Most po'd moment would have to be last year when we passed on Josh Jones for Logan Wilson. Not that I think Wilson will be a bad player, but a T many had as a 1st rounder falls into your lap in 3 and you go stack LB? Sad.
Reply/Quote
Well i wouldnt hit the panic button but if no OL by the end of Day 2... someone should be calling their agent lol
Reply/Quote
Most excited - I remember being so pumped when we got Maualuga in the second round. He was a terror at USC and I was really fired up that he fell to us.

Disappointed - maybe when we took Reinard Wilson from Fla St? I just remember not liking the pick and not knowing much about him.

As for the panic button - I haven’t taken my finger off of it for the past 20+ years.
Seriously I never panic during the draft because I love watching it. I also go full homer mode and talk myself into all of the Bengals picks being great (I even convinced myself on draft day that the Ross pick wasn't bad but deep down we all knew it was)
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 11:56 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Reader played less than 5 games. Ogunjobi wasn't on the team. Hendrickson wasn't on the team. Tupou opted out. It's a MUCH different D-line than last year's. 
Hendrickson- has only one season of production and he did it on a loaded line
Ogunjobi- is an average player and he is only signed for one season
Tupou and Reader are both nose tackles that will produce very little as a pass rusher.

We have zero depth on the line &WE WERE DEAD LAST IN SACKS AND TFLS LAST SEASON.

The defensive line still sucks and is still a huge problem.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Mike Hilton should help, too.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:11 AM)J24 Wrote: We were dead last in sacks and TFLs last season! It's a big need especially over a #3 WR.

True, but we actually have 2 starting DE and hopefully a healthy group this year.  I wouldn't say edge is a huge need, but I wouldn't mind seeing a speed edge drafted on day 2
Reply/Quote
If they pick Chase and don't focus on O-line the next 2 picks thereafter.

Talk about shiny toys.

Picking up more D players when they sunk so much money into the group would be maddening.

I realize they sucked on defense as well last year but c'mon.

Also if they pick Sewell and don't get any WRs until 6-7th round.

Turrible.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If they pick Chase and don't focus on O-line the next 2 picks thereafter.

Talk about shiny toys.

Picking up more D players when they sunk so much money into the group would be maddening.

I realize they sucked on defense as well last year but c'mon.

Also if they pick Sewell and don't get any WRs until 6-7th round.

Turrible.

What would be worse is them reaching for a slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd out of desperation. If they go Sewell they might as well double dip at OL with our first couple picks. Day 2 is the sweet spot for OL in this class as far as value goes.

Reply/Quote
No joke, I hit the panic button a long time ago. Just seeing where our priorities still lie is frightening. Also just the fact that we'll be telegraphing our Day 2 picks and surrendering a lot of our BPA flexibility as we try to make-up for how we passed on OL at #5- that also gives me a wet willy. The opportunity cost of filling a niche while our team has no depth and glaring holes on the lines is impossible to ignore.

I just think of guys like Rousseau, Farley, Nixon, Ojulari, Phllips, Oweh, Marshall, Bateman, Harris, Owusu-Koramoah, Paye or any number of other guys later (Perkins, Holland, Grant, J.Davis, Basham, Freiermuth) slipping through the cracks and being available at 38 or 69, while we're still picking through the OL leftovers trying to do what we should've done earlier, and it's beyond frustrating. How many starters are we gonna miss because of that? Ugh.

Maybe the panic has subsided, tho. It's more like resignation at this point. Still sucks. I won't be good company at a party for at least the next few days lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What would be worse is them reaching for a slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd out of desperation. If they go Sewell they might as well double dip at OL with our first couple picks. Day 2 is the sweet spot for OL in this class as far as value goes.

So, a team that uses 4 and 5 WR sets a lot of the time would be wasting a pick on a guy like Elijah Moore?  Everyone listens to Zac and reads between the lines when he described Chase's strengths without naming him should have picked up on the whole "we don't get into what spot a guy plays.  A slot might end up outside etc"

We need guys that can score.  Either Moore would be huge addition to this team
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So, a team that uses 4 and 5 WR sets a lot of the time would be wasting a pick on a guy like Elijah Moore?  Everyone listens to Zac and reads between the lines when he described Chase's strengths without naming him should have picked up on the whole "we don't get into what spot a guy plays.  A slot might end up outside etc"

That's what I'm saying.

If you want Chase or top tier WRs to fill the void in the corps why would you want some really late round guy instead.

That doesn't make sense.  Maybe Shi Smith for late value?

I realize Elijah Moore isn't Chase, but he's a lot better than some of those late round players.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What would be worse is them reaching for a slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd out of desperation. If they go Sewell they might as well double dip at OL with our first couple picks. Day 2 is the sweet spot for OL in this class as far as value goes.

He probably won't be there at #38 but a player like Toney is a fine example of a good player... but not what our team needs.

If Sewell is the pick and a player like Toney is there in the 2nd they probably should just take another lineman or another position group.

This is an example of liking him as a shiny toy but knowing that another player like a G/C would be much better for our needs.

I think this is what you mean?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 06:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: So, a team that uses 4 and 5 WR sets a lot of the time would be wasting a pick on a guy like Elijah Moore?  Everyone listens to Zac and reads between the lines when he described Chase's strengths without naming him should have picked up on the whole "we don't get into what spot a guy plays.  A slot might end up outside etc"

We ran 11 personnel 76% of the time last season, so yes, any WR that can’t play on the outside (the slot is Boyd’s) is not a smart pick, imo.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 07:20 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He probably won't be there at #38 but a player like Toney is a fine example of a good player... but not what our team needs.

If Sewell is the pick and a player like Toney is there in the 2nd they probably should just take another lineman or another position group.

This is an example of liking him as a shiny toy but knowing that another player like a G/C would be much better for our needs.

I think this is what you mean?

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 03:53 PM)J24 Wrote: Hendrickson- has only one season of production and he did it on a loaded line
Ogunjobi- is an average player and he is only signed for one season
Tupou and Reader are both nose tackles that will produce very little as a pass rusher.

We have zero depth on the line &WE WERE DEAD LAST IN SACKS AND TFLS LAST SEASON.

The defensive line still sucks and is still a huge problem.

Hendrickson is a good player by any metric you want to use. Better than Lawson, IMO.
Ogunjobi is 1000 times better than 2020 Atkins.
Reader being healthy is huge. No he's not a pass rusher, but he can occupy blockers.
Plus Mike Hilton.

Yes, we could use a pass rusher, but I also expect the line to be better than last year, even if we don't take a guy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote