Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you realize your own memory was wrong.
I am sure I have probably told the story here before about seeing Michael Jordan play in Chapel Hill in his college days. I was attending UT-Chattanooga in '83-'84. The Mocs had two future NBA players including one, Gerald Wilkens, who played 13 seasons and averaged 13.0 points per game. They finished that season ranked 15th in the country.

I remember seeing the game in the small fieldhouse the Tarheels played in back then before the DeanDome. We had gotten tickets from the basketball players so we were just a few rows from the floor. Worthy was gone, but North Carolina still had Jordan, Sam Perkins, and Brad Daugherty. The game was close until the end but the Tarheels hung on to win. There were other details of that roadtrip that make it one of my all time favorite college memories.

But I just recently found out that I was not remembering the game correctly. North Carolina won that game 85-63. The game I am remembering happened the previous year in Chattanooga. Pretty much the same teams, but in '82-'83 Jordan and the Heels had to come from behind in the second half to scrape out a 73-66 win on the road. I saw both of those games but over the years my mind had kind of jammed them together.

Any of you have an experience where you realized your meories were false?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 01:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure I have probably told the story here before about seeing Michael Jordan play in Chapel Hill in his college days.  I was attending UT-Chattanooga in '83-'84.  The Mocs had two future NBA players including one, Gerald Wilkens, who played 13 seasons and averaged 13.0 points per game.  They finished that season ranked 15th in the country.

I remember seeing the game in the small fieldhouse the Tarheels played in back then before the DeanDome.  We had gotten tickets from the basketball players so we were just a few rows from the floor. Worthy was gone, but North Carolina still had Jordan, Sam Perkins, and Brad Daugherty. The game was close until the end but the Tarheels hung on to win.  There were other details of that roadtrip that make it one of my all time favorite college memories.

But I just recently found out that I was not remembering the game correctly.  North Carolina won that game 85-63.  The game I am remembering happened the previous year in Chattanooga.  Pretty much the same teams, but in '82-'83 Jordan and the Heels had to come from behind in the second half to scrape out a 73-66 win on the road.  I saw both of those games but over the years my mind had kind of jammed them together.

Any of you have an experience where you realized your meories were false?

Many times...it often involved me trying to figure out why the girl laying in bed next to me was so hot the night before.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I thought Billups dropped the interception on San Fran's final drive. I still "remember" thinking "Oh my God that was the game", but I don't see how as there was plenty of game left to be played.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 10:26 AM)basballguy Wrote: Many times...it often involved me trying to figure out why the girl laying in bed next to me was so hot the night before.

I went to bed at 2:00 with a 10 and woke up at 10:00 with a 2.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Honestly, meaning not going for a cheap laugh here, I do recall experiencing something similar. I just can't remember what it was ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Happens to me all of the time. I personally blame herbal indulgences during my teenage years.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 12:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Happens to me all of the time. I personally blame herbal indulgences during my teenage years.

Its like when you go into great detail with a friend about an event that took place... When they were the friend it took place with lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its like when you go into great detail with a friend about an event that took place... When they were the friend it took place with lol.

Or you have one of those "remember that time when...!" conversations only to realize that was with someone else. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 04:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Or you have one of those "remember that time when...!" conversations only to realize that was with someone else. LOL

Yep ahhh the lack of memorys... makes for great and repeative stories. (that change)
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 04:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Or you have one of those "remember that time when...!" conversations only to realize that was with someone else. LOL

My wife sure hates that when I talk about our sex life Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its like when you go into great detail with a friend about an event that took place...  When they were the friend it took place with lol.

Yup....

.....and yup.....

(12-03-2015, 06:33 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: My wife sure hates that when I talk about our sex life Ninja

....and a HUGE YUP! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:33 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: My wife sure hates that when I talk about our sex life Ninja

I had a friend that sincerely did that. Notice I said had. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Fortunately I do not have this problem. Even though I have gotten a little older; I still have the memory of an elephant.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its like when you go into great detail with a friend about an event that took place...  When they were the friend it took place with lol.

Something like this has happened more than once with me.

One time a good friend of mine was telling a story from High school and insisted I was there when it happened,  But I was not.

Another time I was the one telling an old story and including a friend who was not there.  
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 01:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Any of you have an experience where you realized your meories were false?

Remember that time you thought you were a llawyer?
Reply/Quote
Fortunately I do not have this problem. Even though I have gotten a little older; I still have the memory of an elephant.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 09:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One time a good friend of mine was telling a story from High school and insisted I was there when it happened,  But I was not.

Maybe you just don't remember being there. 

Reply/Quote
Back in 05 I went to a concert with a friend of mine.  I vividly remember that during one of the songs the lead singer instructed everyone in the crowd to crouch down on the floor then 'pop up' at a certain point.  My friend refused to crouch down. He was the ONLY person who didn't (the show was at the old Southgate House in Newport, KY, so it was a fairly small show). The band then said 'We're not going to continue the song until everyone is on the ground....' and I was telling him to 'GET DOWN".  Eventually he got down, the show continued and everyone was happy.  I re-told this story for years. It was just a funny little thing that happened.

Earlier this year I found a soundboard recording of this particular show online. I downloaded it, played it and waited for this event to happen. And then it didn't. I was pretty confused about it.  
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 10:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe you just don't remember being there. 

Exactly.

I don't know for sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.

I don't know for sure.

You dont have to remember it accurately... but if not it changes your reality.
Reply/Quote