Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where’s the Mike Hilton pass rush?
I don’t know if Lou isn’t using him as much to blitz since he got here, or if he’s just simply not getting home (I’d be interested in seeing the numbers if anyone has them), but I’m kind of surprised either way after what he did in Pittsburgh.

2017 - 4 sacks 8 QB hits
2018 - 1 sack 5 QB hits
2019 - 1.5 sacks 5 QB hits
2020 - 3 sacks 5 QB hits

2021 (through 9 games) - 0 sacks 1 QB hit

I thought he’d be a little more of a factor in getting after the QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t know if Lou isn’t using him as much to blitz since he got here, or if he’s just simply not getting home (I’d be interested in seeing the numbers if anyone has them), but I’m kind of surprised either way after what he did in Pittsburgh.

2017 - 4 sacks 8 QB hits
2018 - 1 sack 5 QB hits
2019 - 1.5 sacks 5 QB hits
2020 - 3 sacks 5 QB hits

2021 (through 9 games) - 0 sacks 1 QB hit

I thought he’d be a little more of a factor in getting after the QB.

He isn't using him to blitz hardly at all, and that needs to change.  More aggressive will get more out of the defense.  
Reply/Quote
Hilton blitz numbers

2018... 47
2019... 54
2020... 46
2021... 18

Bengals are 21st in overall blitz percentage.
Reply/Quote
Not surprising the Bengals coaches dont
Use players to the strengths.
Hilton was brought in to increase the sack numbers
Of the defense.
Kinda funny.how Joe Woods of the Browns
Had the presence of mind to have Troy Hill
To blitz JB constantly in a Browns blowout.
Meanwhile Lou cant seem to understand that
Sending another blitzer unaccounted for
Pays off big time neutralizing a QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 09:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hilton blitz numbers

2018... 47
2019... 54
2020... 46
2021... 18

Bengals are 21st in overall blitz percentage.

Thanks.

Reply/Quote
They were using him more as a blitzer earlier in the season but I think they believe the front 4 is creating solid pressure and would rather use Bell/Linebackers at blitzers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Now this is a good thread. I think it was during the Ravens game where Green pointed out the Bengals defensive philosophy isn't to blitz much and to rely on the defensive line for pass rush. It was an actual interesting perspective and analysis. I wonder why Lou doesn't mix it up? Also, a guy like Hilton has been in the league long enough that I wonder if in an NFL locker room he can approach Lou and have an open conversation about playing to his strength?
Reply/Quote
I may be wrong, but Lou hasn't done much blitzing since he's been here right? We seem to rely on our front 4 the majority of the time instead of blitzing much to create pressure. Don't get me wrong, I like our front 4 and the numbers are so much better than last year. When the front 4 isn't getting home we need to mix it up and blitz some. Again, I could be completely wrong and we blitz more than I realize but I feel we've been in the bottom half of the league in blitzing since Lou got here.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 10:25 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now this is a good thread. I think it was during the Ravens game where Green pointed out the Bengals defensive philosophy isn't to blitz much and to rely on the defensive line for pass rush. It was an actual interesting perspective and analysis. I wonder why Lou doesn't mix it up? Also, a guy like Hilton has been in the league long enough that I wonder if in an NFL locker room he can approach Lou and have an open conversation about playing to his strength?

I’m 100% just speculating here, but Lou seems like a “my way or the highway” type of coach to me. Obviously there was the Dunlap fiasco, but let’s be honest - - he also wasn’t using Geno properly either. It appeared that this season (at least before the last couple games) Lou finally had the exact type of players for what he wanted to do, but before that there might have been a bit of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when it came to some of his guys.

Reply/Quote
I saw a few early in the year but Hilton got picked up. The recent change to the “let them score 30” defense hasn’t helped any. Seems they’ve given up on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 10:10 AM)Synric Wrote: They were using him more as a blitzer earlier in the season but I think they believe the front 4 is creating solid pressure and would rather use Bell/Linebackers at blitzers.

front 4 not so much anymore....they need to use him for is strengths which isnt coverage. If they were going to use him like they have been they should have just kept Alexander , he was good in coverage. Lou is a dumbass.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 12:19 PM)kalibengal Wrote: front 4 not so much anymore....they need to use him for is strengths which isnt coverage. If they were going to use him like they have been they should have just kept Alexander , he was good in coverage. Lou is a dumbass.

Mike Hiltons strengths were slot coverage and run support... pass rushing was just icing on the cake. You don't draft or sign a corner because they are a great pass rusher.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I was wondering the same thing about Hilton a while back.I’ve seen him be very effective in his pass rushing abilities in the past.Obviously the defense needs all the help they can get right now.Good question.
Reply/Quote