Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Are They Now (Former Coaches of Marvin Lewis Era)
Marvin Lewis - Upon leaving he took a job as a commentator for the AAF Football League.  He then took a job with Herm Edwards at Arizona State as "Special Advisor".  He was recently promoted to Co-Defensive Coordinator

Bob Bratowski - After a 10 year career as our OC, he left in 2010.  He was the QB coach at Atlanta for one season in 2011. He was the OC for Jacksonville for one season in 2012. And he was the WR coach for Tennessee for one season in 2016. (Lotta one year stops).  He also served as an "offensive assistant" in a return to Cincinnati from '14-15.

Chuck Breshnahan - The former DC left here in 2007. He then spent 2 years with the Orlando Tuskers in '09 and '10.  He returned to the NFL in 2011 with the Raiders as their DC. He was let go after only one season.  He then coached as the DC for the Sacremento Mountain Lions in 2012.  Then he took a job as the DC for USF from '13-16.

Paul Alexander - After a 23 year career as the OL coach, and during Marvin's tenure also as the Assistant Head Coach, he finally left in 2017.  He then took over as the OL coach for the Cowboys in 2018.  He was fired after only 7 games.  Since then he does consulting work and speaking engagements.  He is currently an "offensive consultant" for the Potsdam Royals in the German Football League.  In his free time he likes to tickle the ivories and eat oreos by the box.  Fun fact: He has a supporting role in the movie There's Something About Mary, where he played Mary's brother Warren.

Jonathan Hayes
- The Tight Ends coach for the entirety of Marvin Lewis tenure left after 16 years here.  In 2020 he was the head coach the St. Louis Battlehawks of the XFL.  His team went 3-1.  Fun Fact: His son is Jaxson Hayes who was a recent lottery pick in the NBA, and is tall as frack.

Jay Hayes - Johnathan's brother, who also spent a lot of years here.  For 13 years ('03-15) he was the DL coach.  After leaving Cincy he spent two years in Tampa Bay as their DL coach.  He is now listed on Green Bay's website as an "assistant defensive line".  Unfortunately he has no bio or years attatched to his profile. I'm not sure if he's still there, or when he was there.

Mike Zimmer
-Zim left after serving as our DC for 6 seasons.  He became the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 2014.  His record over the time is 57-38-1 (.599%).  He's only had one losing season, and has never won less than 7 games.  He's been to playoffs 3 times, with trips to the Divisonal round in 2019 and the NFC Championship in 2017.  Zimmer is the baddest M'fer you'll find on this list and I wish he was still here.

Jay Gruden - Served as OC for 3 season from '11-'13.  He then took the head coaching job for the Washington Redskins. He was the coach their from 2014 through midway 2019.  Despite working for the biggest POS in the game in Daniel Snyder he did manage win totals of 9, 8, 7, and 7, which is a miracle for that dumpster fire of an organization.  He was recently hired by Jacksonsville as their OC.

Hue Jackson - 3 different stints here, which I won't cover in detail because his section will be huge.  Was the head coach of the Raiders where he was fired after one season, despite an 8-8 record.  Later served as the head coach of the Browns where he went 3-36-1, which is mindblowingly awful.  After returning for one season here in 2018, where he was something like the "team fluffer".  He was let go after one season.  Now I think he appears on podcasts or anywhere that will have him.

Kevin Coyle - Was our defensive backs coach from '01-11, and then again from '16-17.  After leaving he spent one year at LSU in 2018 as a "defensive analyst".  Most recently he served as the head coach of the Atlanta Legends in the AAF, where he went 2-5.

Vance Joseph - He was our DB coach for two seasons in '14 and '15.  After leaving he was the DC for the Dolphins in '16. He was then hired to be the head coach of the Broncos, where he went 11-21 in two seasons.  He's now the DC for the Arizona Cardinals.  Joseph is one of the better guys on this list as far as career success since leaving.

Paul Guenther
- Spent 13 years here in various capacites from '05-17, with the last 4 serving as DC.  He has been with the Raiders since 2018 as their DC.

Ken Zampese
- He was our QB coach from '03-15, and then spent two years as our OC in '16 and '17.  He was here for 15 of Marvin Lewis 16 years.  After leaving he spent a year as the QB coach for the Browns in '18.  In '19 he was the OC for the Atlanta Legends in the AAF, also worked as "quality control coach" for the University of Florida.  He was recently hired by the Redskins to be their QB coach for 2020.

Bill Lazor
- Served as our QB coach for one season (2016, and was our OC for two seasons ('17, '18).  After leaving he spent a year with Penn State as an analyst. He was recently hired to be the OC for the Chicago Bears.  Wtf, Bears?

Alex Van Pelt - Spent two years as our QB coach  in '18-19. Was recently hired to be the OC for the Cleveland Browns.
Reply/Quote
You left out a big one. He's currently the DC for one of the best defenses in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You left out a big one. He's currently the DC for one of the best defenses in the NFL

Leslie Frazier
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Kevin Coyle - Was our defensive backs coach from '01-11, and then again from '16-17.  After leaving he spent one year at LSU in 2018 as a "defensive analyst".  Most recently he served as the head coach of the Atlanta Legends in the AAF, where he went 2-5.

Coyle was DC for the Dolphins sometime between '12 and '15.

We had some very good DBs while he was here.  I thought he would be a good DC.  But he wasn't.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Leslie Frazier

He was Head Coach for the Vikings for a while.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Paul Alexander - After a 23 year career as the OL coach, and during Marvin's tenure also as the Assistant Head Coach, he finally left in 2017.  He then took over as the OL coach for the Cowboys in 2018.  He was fired after only 7 games.  Since then he does consulting work and speaking engagements.  He is currently an "offensive consultant" for the Potsdam Royals in the German Football League.  In his free time he likes to tickle the ivories and eat oreos by the box.  Fun fact: He has a supporting role in the movie There's Something About Mary, where he played Mary's brother Warren.
That must be a side hustle.  He has said his main deal right now is consulting and tutoring to NCAA and NFL lineman and line coaches, while doing a regular guest spot on Movin' the Chains.  He stated on there earlier in the offseason that he is definitely retired from coaching, as he enjoys the one on one work and media analyst jobs more than the grind of coaching in season at this point.  Rumor has it he will actually be joining NFL radio as a daily host in the near future; although it wasn't clear if that meant all week on one show, or a doing roving hosting duties later in the week to cover for the hosts who call games on TV and radio while they are traveling to their weekly assignments.
Reply/Quote
Ugh...
Reply/Quote
Agree with Zimmer being the best on the list. Loved that guy and hated when he left. I remember when his wife passed and the team rallied around him. It was horrible and great at the same time. I think many of us thought he might take over Marvins HC spot at one time, but Marvin held on way too long and we missed that opportunity.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 01:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Rumor has it he will actually be joining NFL radio as a daily host in the near future; although it wasn't clear if that meant all week on one show, or a doing roving hosting duties later in the week to cover for the hosts who call games on TV and radio while they are traveling to their weekly assignments.

Hopefully it will be a recurring musical production with Paul on piano.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander is a cool guy and was a good coach here. I really don't understand the hate for him here. Anyways he is doing a cool thing coaching in Europe doing camps all over the continent helping offensive lineman. He is also on NFL Radio a lot as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 04:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Paul Alexander is a cool guy 
:paul:
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Marvin Lewis - Upon leaving he took a job as a commentator for the AAF Football League.  He then took a job with Herm Edwards at Arizona State as "Special Advisor".  He was recently promoted to Co-Defensive Coordinator

Bob Bratowski - After a 10 year career as our OC, he left in 2010.  He was the QB coach at Atlanta for one season in 2011. He was the OC for Jacksonville for one season in 2012. And he was the WR coach for Tennessee for one season in 2016. (Lotta one year stops).  He also served as an "offensive assistant" in a return to Cincinnati from '14-15.

Chuck Breshnahan - The former DC left here in 2007. He then spent 2 years with the Orlando Tuskers in '09 and '10.  He returned to the NFL in 2011 with the Raiders as their DC. He was let go after only one season.  He then coached as the DC for the Sacremento Mountain Lions in 2012.  Then he took a job as the DC for USF from '13-16.

Paul Alexander - After a 23 year career as the OL coach, and during Marvin's tenure also as the Assistant Head Coach, he finally left in 2017.  He then took over as the OL coach for the Cowboys in 2018.  He was fired after only 7 games.  Since then he does consulting work and speaking engagements.  He is currently an "offensive consultant" for the Potsdam Royals in the German Football League.  In his free time he likes to tickle the ivories and eat oreos by the box.  Fun fact: He has a supporting role in the movie There's Something About Mary, where he played Mary's brother Warren.

Jonathan Hayes
- The Tight Ends coach for the entirety of Marvin Lewis tenure left after 16 years here.  In 2020 he was the head coach the St. Louis Battlehawks of the XFL.  His team went 3-1.  Fun Fact: His son is Jaxson Hayes who was a recent lottery pick in the NBA, and is tall as frack.

Jay Hayes - Johnathan's brother, who also spent a lot of years here.  For 13 years ('03-15) he was the DL coach.  After leaving Cincy he spent two years in Tampa Bay as their DL coach.  He is now listed on Green Bay's website as an "assistant defensive line".  Unfortunately he has no bio or years attatched to his profile. I'm not sure if he's still there, or when he was there.

Mike Zimmer
-Zim left after serving as our DC for 6 seasons.  He became the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings in 2014.  His record over the time is 57-38-1 (.599%).  He's only had one losing season, and has never won less than 7 games.  He's been to playoffs 3 times, with trips to the Divisonal round in 2019 and the NFC Championship in 2017.  Zimmer is the baddest M'fer you'll find on this list and I wish he was still here.

Jay Gruden - Served as OC for 3 season from '11-'13.  He then took the head coaching job for the Washington Redskins. He was the coach their from 2014 through midway 2019.  Despite working for the biggest POS in the game in Daniel Snyder he did manage win totals of 9, 8, 7, and 7, which is a miracle for that dumpster fire of an organization.  He was recently hired by Jacksonsville as their OC.

Hue Jackson - 3 different stints here, which I won't cover in detail because his section will be huge.  Was the head coach of the Raiders where he was fired after one season, despite an 8-8 record.  Later served as the head coach of the Browns where he went 3-36-1, which is mindblowingly awful.  After returning for one season here in 2018, where he was something like the "team fluffer".  He was let go after one season.  Now I think he appears on podcasts or anywhere that will have him.

Kevin Coyle - Was our defensive backs coach from '01-11, and then again from '16-17.  After leaving he spent one year at LSU in 2018 as a "defensive analyst".  Most recently he served as the head coach of the Atlanta Legends in the AAF, where he went 2-5.

Vance Joseph - He was our DB coach for two seasons in '14 and '15.  After leaving he was the DC for the Dolphins in '16. He was then hired to be the head coach of the Broncos, where he went 11-21 in two seasons.  He's now the DC for the Arizona Cardinals.  Joseph is one of the better guys on this list as far as career success since leaving.

Paul Guenther
- Spent 13 years here in various capacites from '05-17, with the last 4 serving as DC.  He has been with the Raiders since 2018 as their DC.

Ken Zampese
- He was our QB coach from '03-15, and then spent two years as our OC in '16 and '17.  He was here for 15 of Marvin Lewis 16 years.  After leaving he spent a year as the QB coach for the Browns in '18.  In '19 he was the OC for the Atlanta Legends in the AAF, also worked as "quality control coach" for the University of Florida.  He was recently hired by the Redskins to be their QB coach for 2020.

Bill Lazor
- Served as our QB coach for one season (2016, and was our OC for two seasons ('17, '18).  After leaving he spent a year with Penn State as an analyst. He was recently hired to be the OC for the Chicago Bears.  Wtf, Bears?

Alex Van Pelt - Spent two years as our QB coach  in '18-19. Was recently hired to be the OC for the Cleveland Browns.

But what really matters is who replaced these guys and how well they did.

Marvin was replaced by Zac Taylor, who managed a mere 2 wins. Notably worse than Marvin's worst year.

Bratowski was replaced by Jay Gruden who guided the offense to 3 straight post seasons.

Gruden was replaced by Hue Jackson who guided the offense to 2 more post seasons and help Dalton to his best season. He even had guided a offense with AJ McCarron to a near win against the Squeelers in the post season.

Hue Jackson was replaced by Zampese who actually only lasted for a couple of games into the '17 season. A huge step backwards.

Zampese was replaced by Lazor, who didn't really improve things. Lazor had to deal with many games without AJ Green and Andy Dalton.

Lazor was effectively replaced by Zac Taylor who did an even worse job with the offense and managed just 2 wins, yet he's still here, for now.

The defense improved dramatically when Zimmer arrived. It was decent when Gunther took over and went to shit after Gunther left and it was still shit last season with the current DC, whatever his name is.

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 04:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Paul Alexander is a cool guy and was a good coach here. I really don't understand the hate for him here. Anyways he is doing a cool thing coaching in Europe doing camps all over the continent helping offensive lineman. He is also on NFL Radio a lot as well.

As much as I've been hard on the piano man on here, he was a very good coach for many years. The problem came in when he didn't/couldn't evolve with the game. His methods got old, his message got old, and just like ML he should have been gone way before he was.

Overall the ML coaching tree hasn't had much success.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 04:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Paul Alexander is a cool guy and was a good coach here. I really don't understand the hate for him here. Anyways he is doing a cool thing coaching in Europe doing camps all over the continent helping offensive lineman. He is also on NFL Radio a lot as well.

Smug/prima donna/toffee-nosed attitude.

Also, the standing on the table for Ogbuehi, Bodine and Fisher, 3 guys who either set the team back for a number of years or who did their utmost to hold the team back.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Ok, I don't get the joke about Paul Alexander and There's Something About Mary.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 04:21 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: :paul:
You don't like cultured people?
(07-12-2020, 07:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: As much as I've been hard on the piano man on here, he was a very good coach for many years. The problem came in when he didn't/couldn't evolve with the game. His methods got old, his message got old, and just like ML he should have been gone way before he was.

Overall the ML coaching tree hasn't had much success.
That's fair
(07-12-2020, 07:17 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Smug/prima donna/toffee-nosed attitude.

Also, the standing on the table for Ogbuehi, Bodine and Fisher, 3 guys who either set the team back for a number of years or who did their utmost to hold the team back.
He also coached two should be Hall of Famers in Anderson and Whit!
(07-12-2020, 07:23 PM)Earendil Wrote: Ok, I don't get the joke about Paul Alexander and There's Something About Mary.
Mary's brother was mentally Handicapped.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Alexander SUCKED as a coach. He couldn’t last a season with another organization after leaving here and he still isn’t coaching. The guy is wrong about so many things he says which will be fitting as a commentator on a sports channel. Those blowhards are never right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 08:50 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Alexander SUCKED as a coach. 

He did at the end, but for many years he was a highly respected coach in the NFL.

(07-12-2020, 08:50 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Those blowhards are never right

Not attacking you here, but you need to be aware that extremist statements like this destroy your credibility.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 07:54 PM)J24 Wrote: Mary's brother was mentally Handicapped.

And fat and loved to play football.
Reply/Quote
Slightly OT, but Warren was played by W. Earl Brown who was in the HBO series Deadwood. Which if you haven’t seen I highly recommend. Top 5 all time show for me. His character was in one of the best tv fights ever.

https://youtu.be/0rLOl14SLQ8

Reply/Quote