Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Should Bengals QB Room Rank?
PFT is ranking the QB rooms from head coach, OC, and QB coach, down to the starters and backups. They are doing 1 rank per day (gotta have off-season content). #1 was today and was the Chiefs.

So looking at the totality of the room from Zac to Brian Callahan to Dan Pitcher to JoeyB and backups Trevor Siemean and Jake Browning where do you think the Bengals will land?

Zac-generally ranked 12-16 among head coaches and former QB himself
Brian-Head Coach candidate, former coach for Peyton Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Derek Carr. Worked for QB gurus Gary Kubiak and Jon Gruden. former QB himself
Dan Pitcher-former QB and OC candidate

JoeyB-goes without saying
Trevor Siemean-huge upgrade over Brandon Allen-one of the top backups in the league
Jake Browning

I think we will land #3. San Francisco may land above us even if their entire QB room is still iffy for the season due to injuries.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 01:30 PM)pally Wrote: PFT is ranking the QB rooms from head coach, OC, and QB coach, down to the starters and backups.  They are doing 1 rank per day (gotta have off-season content).  #1 was today and was the Chiefs.

So looking at the totality of the room from Zac to Brian Callahan to Dan Pitcher to JoeyB and backups Trevor Siemean and Jake Browning where do you think the Bengals will land?

Zac-generally ranked 12-16 among head coaches and former QB himself
Brian-Head Coach candidate, former coach for Peyton Manning, Matthew Stafford, and Derek Carr.  Worked for QB gurus Gary Kubiak and Jon Gruden.  former QB himself
Dan Pitcher-former QB and OC candidate

JoeyB-goes without saying
Trevor Siemean-huge upgrade over Brandon Allen-one of the top backups in the league
Jake Browning

I think we will land #3.  San Francisco may land above us even if their entire QB room is still iffy for the season due to injuries.

I would assume it's still weighed heavily on the starting QB, no matter if the that many names also play a (smaller) part.  No way SF should be above us or in the top 5.  Have to think the only thing keeping the Bengals from 2 would be how much you weigh the backup. 
Reply/Quote
Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan did these a couple weeks back but only rated the players. If memory serves it was a max of 20 points (14 points for your starter, 4 for your backup, and 2 for your developmental). JB got a 14 and we ended with a total of 16. (2 for Siemian, 0 for Browning). We didn't make the top 5

WTS, I think our coaching staff will lift us up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Top 5
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
2023 No. 2 quarterback room: Philadelphia Eagles

Remember, this isn’t a quarterback ranking. It looks at everything. Starter, backups, coaches, etc.

When considering all those factors, the Eagles come in second.

Jalen Hurts had a breakout season last year, only his third in the league. He has a massive contract that reflects the organization’s faith in him.

Last year, the Eagles found a perfect balance of running and passing, and he excelled at both. His leadership skills already rank among the best in the league. And he’s only going to get better.

The signing of Marcus Mariota will make the Eagles better, too. Mariota’s skill set better matches Hurts. If/when Mariota plays, the Eagles should be able to retain much of the playbook, making the transition easier for the rest of the offense.

The Eagles also have a solid coaching infrastructure, starting with head coach Nick Sirianni. In his first year on the job (2021), Sirianni realized that the Eagles should pivot to a run-heavy offense. And it worked. Last year, they beefed up the passing game. It also worked.

And while it all worked well enough to get offensive coordinator Shane Steichen a promotion in Indy, Sirianni is still there. Brian Johnson, the 2021-22 quarterbacks coach, got the promotion. Alex Tanney, who joined the coaching staff in 2021, is the new position coach.

There will be continuity, given that Sirianni is an offensive guy. There’s every reason to expect Hurts and the offense to be even better in 2023.

And remember this. The Eagles have perfected the short-yardage, push-the-quarterback play. It makes it easy to extend drives and ultimately to score points.

All things considered, the Eagles are second only to the Chiefs when it comes to the overall quality of the quarterback position. In a watered-down NFC, it makes Philly the odds-on favorite to return to the Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:13 PM)pally Wrote: 2023 No. 2 quarterback room: Philadelphia Eagles

Remember, this isn’t a quarterback ranking. It looks at everything. Starter, backups, coaches, etc.

When considering all those factors, the Eagles come in second.

Jalen Hurts had a breakout season last year, only his third in the league. He has a massive contract that reflects the organization’s faith in him.

Last year, the Eagles found a perfect balance of running and passing, and he excelled at both. His leadership skills already rank among the best in the league. And he’s only going to get better.

The signing of Marcus Mariota will make the Eagles better, too. Mariota’s skill set better matches Hurts. If/when Mariota plays, the Eagles should be able to retain much of the playbook, making the transition easier for the rest of the offense.

The Eagles also have a solid coaching infrastructure, starting with head coach Nick Sirianni. In his first year on the job (2021), Sirianni realized that the Eagles should pivot to a run-heavy offense. And it worked. Last year, they beefed up the passing game. It also worked.

And while it all worked well enough to get offensive coordinator Shane Steichen a promotion in Indy, Sirianni is still there. Brian Johnson, the 2021-22 quarterbacks coach, got the promotion. Alex Tanney, who joined the coaching staff in 2021, is the new position coach.

There will be continuity, given that Sirianni is an offensive guy. There’s every reason to expect Hurts and the offense to be even better in 2023.

And remember this. The Eagles have perfected the short-yardage, push-the-quarterback play. It makes it easy to extend drives and ultimately to score points.

All things considered, the Eagles are second only to the Chiefs when it comes to the overall quality of the quarterback position. In a watered-down NFC, it makes Philly the odds-on favorite to return to the Super Bowl.

They are being way too dismissive of the hit losing Steichen has on that offense. I think early in the season they may struggle a bit actually. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: They are being way too dismissive of the hit losing Steichen has on that offense. I think early in the season they may struggle a bit actually. 

Good thing I kept scrolling as I was about to say the exact same thing.  Mariotta?  Hurts really impressed last year, but outside of him, I don't see very much.  I think Bengal's coaches will start earning more respect league wide now that they will have a competitive offensive line with some depth.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Philadelphia should not be ahead of the Bengals....

2023 No. 3 quarterback room: Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals have one of the best and most brash quarterbacks in football. They also have the coaching in place to get the most out of him.

That combination puts the Bengals at No. 3 among all NFL quarterback rooms, taking players and coaches into account.

The bulk of the greatness at the position obviously comes from [/url]Joe Burrow, who has rebounded from a torn ACL in November of his rookie year to become one of the best quarterbacks in all of football. The way he moves in and around the pocket, it’s as if the injury never happened.

Burrow concedes the No. 1 to [url=https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/8824/patrick-mahomes]Patrick Mahomes
. Burrow might currently be No. 2, one his way to No. 1.

He can do it all. Great throwing, underrated running. And he has a knack for developing even more swagger when the season slips into single-elimination mode.

His backups are nothing to brag about, all due to respect to both of them; Trevor Siemian and Jake Browning currently round out the depth chart.

This team is all about Burrow, along with some damn good receivers in J’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins. Having an offensive head coach in Zac Taylor helps the cause. He’s supported by offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and quarterback coach Dan Pitcher.
Whoever is around him, Burrow will be one of the greats for as long as he’s in the league. And the Bengals inevitably will get back to another Super Bowl, and they’ll perhaps finally win one. Or two.

Reply/Quote
Rating a QB "room" is worthless. The only thing that matters is your starter. Depth at that position is virtually meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 02:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Rating a QB "room" is worthless.  The only thing that matters is your starter.  Depth at that position is virtually meaningless.

Chiefs don't win the Super Bowl last year without Chad Henne coming in and delivering a 98 yard TD drive to help them win in the Divisional Round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 04:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chiefs don't win the Super Bowl last year without Chad Henne coming in and delivering a 98 yard TD drive to help them win in the Divisional Round.

While I agree with overall sentiment, it’s a bit stretched to say that they don’t win the Super Bowl if that doesn’t happen. They were already leading when Henne orchestrated that drive. Assuming everything stays the same, they go into OT at worst.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 05:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: While I agree with overall sentiment, it’s a bit stretched to say that they don’t win the Super Bowl if that doesn’t happen. They were already leading when Henne orchestrated that drive. Assuming everything stays the same, they go into OT at worst.

Eagles don't win the SB if they don't have Nick Foles going on an incredible postseason run while backing up Carson Wentz.
The year Brady got suspended, they had Jimmy G and Brissett go 3-1 to hand off a strong record for them to win the SB that year.

That's 3 of the last 7 SB winners, right there that had to rely on their backup QB at some point for meaningful snaps.

Now if you ask me if Burrow goes down for the season, is the season over regardless of who is back there? Absolutely. That said, I think completely dismissing the backup QB as a possible key contributor at some point isn't wise. Maybe a key drive, maybe a couple games. Having someone who you are confident in to lead the team to victory can be crucial.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 06:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eagles don't win the SB if they don't have Nick Foles going on an incredible postseason run while backing up Carson Wentz.
The year Brady got suspended, they had Jimmy G and Brissett go 3-1 to hand off a strong record for them to win the SB that year.

That's 3 of the last 7 SB winners, right there that had to rely on their backup QB at some point for meaningful snaps.

Now if you ask me if Burrow goes down for the season, is the season over regardless of who is back there? Absolutely. That said, I think completely dismissing the backup QB as a possible key contributor at some point isn't wise. Maybe a key drive, maybe a couple games. Having someone who you are confident in to lead the team to victory can be crucial.

Yes, I agree with the point you’re making. I just didn’t agree with your recollection of the Chiefs game, is all. Back-ups do matter, absolutely.
Reply/Quote