Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Was Mixon on the Last Drive ?
If you can't trust your $12 million dollar RB to be in the game on the last drive of the game in the Superbowl, then why have him at all?

What was up with that? Perine on 3rd and 1? Folks, where was Joe?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:17 AM)Science Friction Wrote: If you can't trust your $12 million dollar RB to be in the game on the last drive of the game in the Superbowl, then why have him at all?

What was up with that?   Perine on 3rd and 1?    Folks, where was Joe?

Because Perine is a a better pass blocker than Mixon. Mixon read a blitz perfectly earlier in the game . . . poor execution wound up with Mixon knocked to the ground and Joe sacked because the potential dump off was trying to get back to his feet after getting knocked down.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:25 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Because Perine is a a better pass blocker than Mixon. Mixon read a blitz perfectly earlier in the game . . . poor execution wound up with Mixon knocked to the ground and Joe sacked because the potential dump off was trying to get back to his feet after getting knocked down.

Would you have gone with Joe on 3rd and 1?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:28 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Would you have gone with Joe on 3rd and 1?

With this o-line? Would it matter?

I think the idea was for Zac Taylor attempting to outsmart someone.

And he failed.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:51 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: With this o-line? Would it matter?

I think the idea was for Zac Taylor attempting to outsmart someone.

And he failed.

I agree. Zac had a bad night.
Reply/Quote
Perine lol. Super Bowl on the line. Perine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Same place he was on 3rd-and-one on the very first drive of the game.

Whatever Zac saw in scouting the Rams on third and short it led to putting in Perine and giving him the ball.

Must of had something to do with what he saw the Rams doing on film.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 08:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same place he was on 3rd-and-one on the very first drive of the game.

Whatever Zac saw in scouting the Rams on third and short it led to putting in Perine and giving him the ball.

Must of had something to do with what he saw the Rams doing on film.

Lol…Zach didn’t do anything different than he did all year long on 3rd downs. Had nothing to do with film. When it’s crunch time you put your best players in and depend on them to win you the game. It’s purely a lack of coaching experience and Zach’s way of “not doing things the way it’s always been done” as he puts it.

The only way we lose that game is Zach taking the ball out of our playmakers hands and he did exactly that.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:05 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Lol…Zach didn’t do anything different than he did all year long on 3rd downs.  

Yes he did.

During the regular season he usually gave the Ball to Mixon in those situations.  But that rarely worked.  So he tried somehting different.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he did.

During the regular season he usually gave the Ball to Mixon in those situations.  But that rarely worked.  So he tried somehting different.

Mixon hardly if ever played third downs regardless of the down/distance. Even if that weren’t the case and you’re right…Zach thinking about going with some practice squad scrub like Perine was the better option, he’s even dumber than I thought he was.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:28 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Would you have gone with Joe on 3rd and 1?

Not asking me here, but no. Mixon isn't a short yardage type of power back. If there isn't a hole there, he will shuffle his feet hoping a hole opens up. And by that time defense collapses on him. More often than not that is it seems.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:46 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Not asking me here, but no. Mixon isn't a short yardage type of power back. If there isn't a hole there, he will shuffle his feet hoping a hole opens up. And by that time defense collapses on him. More often than not that is it seems.

Yeah, he's either a guy who breaks it for 8+ or goes down at the LOS. Not like we had Marshawn Lynch on 3rd and 1 there.... the run play was absolutely the wrong play for me.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:57 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah, he's either a guy who breaks it for 8+ or goes down at the LOS. Not like we had Marshawn Lynch on 3rd and 1 there.... the run play was absolutely the wrong play for me.

I didnt like the call either, especially in that situation in the freaking Super Bowl of all games. Id rather seen a short quick pass or a quick draw from Burrow. Or probably literally anything else there.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:57 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah, he's either a guy who breaks it for 8+ or goes down at the LOS. Not like we had Marshawn Lynch on 3rd and 1 there.... the run play was absolutely the wrong play for me.

We need that powerback, someone who is a definite 2 yards most of the time. But we also need an oline.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I mean, if Mixon gets stuffed it would be "We telegraphed the run by deviating from our 3rd down back".

I just don't understand why they didn't go for a quick pass on both plays. get the 1st, but easy to say in hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:28 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Would you have gone with Joe on 3rd and 1?

3rd and 1 had been terrible all year. Trust burrow there.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:35 AM)Pezmerga Wrote: I mean, if Mixon gets stuffed it would be "We telegraphed the run by deviating from our 3rd down back".

I just don't understand why they didn't go for a quick pass on both plays. get the 1st, but easy to say in hindsight.

I was hoping for a Chase Jet sweep on those 3rd & short downs. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:35 AM)Stonyhands Wrote: Mixon hardly if ever played third downs regardless of the down/distance.  Even if that weren’t the case and you’re right…Zach thinking about going with some practice squad scrub like Perine was the better option, he’s even dumber than I thought he was.

Mixon was the primary 3rd down back when it came to rushing. Perine wasn't far behind. Here are third down rushes, broken down by rusher.

Mixon - 15 carries
Perine - 11 carries
Everyone else - 2 or less carries

In third and 1 carries, Mixon was clearly the main back.

Mixon - 10 carries
Perine - 4 carries
Reply/Quote
It’s amazing what a razor’s edge it is. A foot here or there and it’s what makes you a genius vs. an idiot in need of firing.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 11:23 AM)BurnsBengal Wrote: It’s amazing what a razor’s edge it is. A foot here or there and it’s what makes you a genius vs. an idiot in need of firing.

It's all silly. Fans don't criticize the play-call, they criticize the results. If Perine got that, there would be no issue. Conversely, if Burrow dropped back to pass and was sacked, the play-call was stupid. If it worked, the play-call was great. 

Fans criticize the execution of the players and then call the coaches an idiot for it when in reality, the OL failed Perine and Burrow on those two plays (and several others). I thought ZT actually called a fine game. I do think it is strange we didn't see any screens, that I will say seems odd but the rest of it is fine. All week, the talk was about the Rams defensive line vs. the Bengals offensive line and the Rams came out an kicked the offensive lines ass. That shouldn't be a surprise. All else equal, if Burrow is protected last night then Cincinnati wins the game. The offensive line failed, not ZT. 
Reply/Quote