Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are my auto enthusiasts?
The Tirerack.com ad banner got me thinking....Who on here is a car nut and what do you drive? Is there an older car in your garage that you love?

This is my first post outside of JN and I was just wondering who were my fellow car nuts.

My auto tastes are a bit, well....weird. What a lot of you might call junk (let's be nice, now), I find entertaining.

Here is my car list. And no, I am not big-timing anyone. I have as much money tied up in my cars as anyone...I just get them cheap and fix them up.

1985 Fiero 2M6 with 4-speed manual. I learned to drive a stick on a 1985 Fiero. I have always loved them. This one is the notchback style (which I like more than the fastback...I know, I am in the minority). Only has 33K miles and has the factory option sheepskin and suede seats. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I bought it several years ago from a guy in Cbus that was clearing out his collection of cars. This was the cheapest in his collection by far.

1986 Sunbird Turbo convertible. 4-speed manual. I just got this one pretty cheap and it needs some work (tears in seats, padding needs replaced as well. Exhaust is toast. No radio (just ordered a retro radio that has bluetooth...pretty cool, they look like the basic old factory units but has bluetooth and great sound). Some really cheesy stickers on the sides that I can't wait to remove and buff out the paint. I will do the appearance work last. Was looking at some new wheels and tires (hence, the tirerack reference) that would be a plus-1 over the factory 14". No rust. Runs great. A ball to drive. These little buggers had 150 HP and weighed around 2500 lbs. The flip up headlights and orange backlit gauges just scream nostalgia from the 80s to me.

2017 Camaro RS convertible, Auto. My dream car clone...sort of. I found it in a dealer in Dayton with really low miles (20 K) in the winter and they wanted to get rid of it. It is the 330 HP V6 and has the performance exhaust that sounds amazing. It is white and I added blue rallye striped on it and had the back "cove" covered with the same vinyl to mimic my dream car: the 1969 Pontiac Trans Am, that only came in that color. It is like a modern version that doesn't cost six figures. I wish it were a manual, but the 8-speed auto shifts so quickly in performance mode, and it has the paddle shifters.

My daily vehicle for work is a 2019 Ram 1500. Amazing truck.

What are yours? Anyone have a similar love for 80s cars?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1985 Fiero 2M6 with 4-speed manual. 

That V6 was small, but the car was tiny also.  I test drove one of those and it really moved.

I would love to get an early '90's MR2 and do a V6 swap.  A lot of people have done that.

I could not afford a sports car I liked until I was in my 30's.  I bought a 1998 Integra Type-R and added a Jackson Racing supercharger and a few other mods.  It was front wheel drive but it handled great.  About 250HP in a car that only weighed about 2800 lbs.  It was my daily driver until I had my first child.  My wife convinced me to trade it for more of a family car.  I ended up buying a brown 4-door Camry.  It felt like I aged 10 years when I made that switch.
Reply/Quote
You might also appreciate this

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-You-ll-never-guess-what-I-saw-at-the-Tazewell-Co-Op-today?highlight=skyline

That would probably be my "dream car" right now.
Reply/Quote
If I ever have the time and money to put into an older vehicle, I'd like to build an 84-86 era F-250 4x4.  I'm also partial to late '60s Mopar and Pontiacs.

The current Sunsetmobile

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That V6 was small, but the car was tiny also.  I test drove one of those and it really moved.

I would love to get an early '90's MR2 and do a V6 swap.  A lot of people have done that.

I could not afford a sports car I liked until I was in my 30's.  I bought a 1998 Integra Type-R and added a Jackson Racing supercharger and a few other mods.  It was front wheel drive but it handled great.  About 250HP in a car that only weighed about 2800 lbs.  It was my daily driver until I had my first child.  My wife convinced me to trade it for more of a family car.  I ended up buying a brown 4-door Camry.  It felt like I aged 10 years when I made that switch.

I love "Frankencars"...where someone just got a crazy idea on something to do to a vehicle.  One of my faves that I have seen is a shop in Texas does LS swaps in to....wait for it....Deloreans!  I have always loved those cars except for the weak-ass Renault V6.  They have six speed manual gearboxes as well!
Reply/Quote
Fiero's were prone to catching on fire. My dad had one that almost burnt up, but I caught it just in time when he came home with the engine smoking..  I liked the MR2.. That was a hell of an engine that just happened to have wheels attached..  Hilarious I did love my old Celica's.. I had a 74 GT and 78 GT.. 
These days I'm driving an old soccer mom Chrysler Town and Country van.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 01:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The current Sunsetmobile

I always thought you drove a Prius.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2022, 09:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: Fiero's were prone to catching on fire. My dad had one that almost burnt up, but I caught it just in time when he came home with the engine smoking..  I liked the MR2.. That was a hell of an engine that just happened to have wheels attached..  Hilarious I did love my old Celica's.. I had a 74 GT and 78 GT.. 
These days I'm driving an old soccer mom Chrysler Town and Country van.

The first year Fiero had a recall to fix a potential leak that could cause an engine fire, yes, but that was year one.  By 1988, they got the Fiero right.  They spent $40 million on the suspension and the 88 could handle incredibly well.  The earlier years were solid, but had some Citation parts and had some problems with snap oversteer.  I know the MR2 had this as well.  

I never liked the first gen MR2 because of it's looks, even though they were a ball to drive.  The second gen MR2 was gorgeous and had a turbo option that absolutely flew.  Lots of them ended up wrapped around trees because the boost would come on in the middle of the turn and overpower the chassis.  
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 01:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I always thought you drove a Prius.

Ever seen "The Other Guys"?  

"We call that a soup kitchen".   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: had some problems with snap oversteer.  I know the MR2 had this as well.  

I never liked the first gen MR2 because of it's looks, even though they were a ball to drive.  The second gen MR2 was gorgeous and had a turbo option that absolutely flew.  Lots of them ended up wrapped around trees because the boost would come on in the middle of the turn and overpower the chassis.  

First gen MR2 was like a go-cart.

In early 90's Toyota did a lot to the suspension to address the snap oversteer problem.  They were in the 2nd Gen then.

Really nice looking car if you get rid of the big ugly wing/spoiler on the back

[Image: 201081018102_dsc00014.jpg]
Reply/Quote
My "fun car" is a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. 2.5 litre 5 speed manual. The thing is not mega fast but it corners like it's on rails.

Until recently 2 of my cars were Solstice and Equinox. I had the Earth'd rotation covered.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 01:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I always thought you drove a Prius.

I don't know about a Prius. But you can bet that after I take my State Exams and finally get my Surveying License, I'll be on the list for a brand new all-electric F-150 Lightning.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The first year Fiero had a recall to fix a potential leak that could cause an engine fire, yes, but that was year one.  By 1988, they got the Fiero right.  They spent $40 million on the suspension and the 88 could handle incredibly well.  The earlier years were solid, but had some Citation parts and had some problems with snap oversteer.  I know the MR2 had this as well.  

Damned..ruined my MR2 fantasy..Next thing you'll tell me is the girl I had a huge crush on in Jr High turned out to be a really fat ho and a barfly lush..  dammit..That one too.. I ran into her 30 years later..a 30 year fantasy down the tubes, but she was really hot in 1974 or thereabouts.. Cool

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At least my crappy van has new headlights.. The old ones were those plastic garbage that barely let out light at night..  Sexy, huh?  Who Dey

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First gen MR2 was like a go-cart.

In early 90's Toyota did a lot to the suspension to address the snap oversteer problem.  They were in the 2nd Gen then.

Really nice looking car if you get rid of the big ugly wing/spoiler on the back

[Image: 201081018102_dsc00014.jpg]

Wow.  Do we actually have something in common?  I am one of the rare people that prefer a cleaner design without a massive wing.  Another example (or two) for me is the massive wing on fastback Fiero GTs and the current Vette.  I don't care about the massive downforce created at 120 MPH, it just ruins the clean look of the car for me.  There are a few exceptions, but overall, I like a cleaner design. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 03:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My "fun car" is a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. 2.5 litre 5 speed manual. The thing is not mega fast but it corners like it's on rails.

Until recently 2 of my cars were Solstice and Equinox. I had the Earth'd rotation covered.

My sis and her hubbs have a Sky Red line with the 6-speed.  Very low miles...like maybe 10k at this point.  Loved those cars.  Theirs is that ruby red with grey racing stripe. 

I tried to buy a decent Solstice GXP that was grey on cars&bids.com but was outbid. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2022, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about a Prius. But you can bet that after I take my State Exams and finally get my Surveying License, I'll be on the list for a brand new all-electric F-150 Lightning.

I don't know as much about the F-150 but what I have read about the new Hummer and Rivian is insane.  1000 Hp?  Crab walk capable?  Removable roof panels?  So cool...and bringing crazy money on auctions. 

A friend asked me when I will trade my Ram for something electric and I said "When the company stops paying for gas".  
Reply/Quote
Me. I buy vehicles, and if they don't give me major issues, I keep em and fix it myself. The wife has been pretty hard on them though, so I'm buying her one every few years.

We used to have my grandparents' 1969 Chrysler 300, with the 440 Magnum under the hood, but my old man ran off the road and totaled it.

Right now, I've got my 2001 Dodge Dakota crew cab with the 4.7L that I've had since 2003, and my 1990 Honda CRX that I've had since 1998. I've got a Toyota Sienna for the wife currently. She totaled my toy a few years ago. I had bought her a Turbo Volkswagen Jetta I was going to build a little and buy her something else....lol, oh well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Me. I buy vehicles, and if they don't give me major issues, I keep em and fix it myself. The wife has been pretty hard on them though, so I'm buying her one every few years.

We used to have my grandparents' 1969 Chrysler 300, with the 440 Magnum under the hood, but my old man ran off the road and totaled it.

Right now, I've got my 2001 Dodge Dakota crew cab with the 4.7L that I've had since 2003, and my 1990 Honda CRX that I've had since 1998. I've got a Toyota Sienna for the wife currently. She totaled my toy a few years ago. I had bought her a Turbo Volkswagen Jetta I was going to build a little and buy her something else....lol, oh well.

Very cool.  Although my collection is hardly "classic", they are old enough that they aren't overly complex like today's cars.  Love the CRX.  One of the most fun cars of all time.   A friend had a race-prepped one that he used to autocross.  It was insane.  Had everything not essential stripped out of the car and had the motor built professionally.  The thing could corner like it was stuck to the road.  Had 13" lightweight rims that were about 9" wide.  They also fit the Miata because I bought them off him when he was done with them and the Miata looked hilarious with them on.

I didn't have a trailer, so I would put my racing tires on at home and drive to Kil Kare (Xenia) where the autocross used to be held.  The Hoosier racing tires were so gummy that if you hit a pebble, the tires would grab it and fling it at you.  Since they stuck out of the fenders about 4" on each side, I actually wore my helmet when I drove it one the street.  Looked like I was racing just out in the open road.  My miata was in C-street prepared and so was his CRX.   That was the only year I didn't win.  My miata just wasn't modded enough to compete in CSP.  You could do a TON to cars in that class and all I had was koni adjustable shocks with eibach springs and a borla exhaust (and an open air intake).  

I did a lot better in E-stock in my 1993 Saturn SC2 (those really did well) and C-stock in my 1988 Fiero Formula.  Won 4 championships in different years with those cars.

Back to "classics".  I had a 1969 Firebird convertible that I sold when I got married.  Damn market blew up on them RIGHT after I sold mine.  

I have always like Corvairs for some reason and thought it would be fun to Restomod one of those with a hotted up powertrain.  Probably won't ever do it.   My dream Frankencar is still that LS-powered DeLorean.  
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My sis and her hubbs have a Sky Red line with the 6-speed.  Very low miles...like maybe 10k at this point.  Loved those cars.  Theirs is that ruby red with grey racing stripe. 

I tried to buy a decent Solstice GXP that was grey on cars&bids.com but was outbid. 

Yeah, we love ours. We don't have the Turbo, but it's best with the wife driving. I'd imagine the Red Line and the GXP are quite "peppy". I'm thinking about upgrading to a Boxster, but I just might put money into the Solstice. 

In High School I had a '78 T/A. I was told they came with 2 engines; A 400 CID Pontiac and a 403 CID Oldsmobile (High Output). Mine had the 403. I was told you could tell because the 403s had factory chrome valve covers and the Shaker hood said T/A 6.6 instead of 6.6 Litre. Put that may have been made up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote