Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the LBs?
Here’s Hobson’s take:

“ So it appeared by the end of business Thursday that the Bengals were taking a break to study the next wave. They're still in the hunt for Mr. Linebacker, albeit this guy or guys won't be as all-around as the top candidates that were spoken for on the first day.
But it looks like they think they can still find a solid run player and/or a run-around guy that can play special teams while taking advantage of a particularly solid draft class.”
Reply/Quote
Watching YouTube video from Orange & Black Insider podcast. Says Bengals went after Littleton, Schobert and Kwiatkoski, got outbid or guy just wanted to go somewhere else. Good to hear the team tried at least.
Reply/Quote
I'd really like to see them go after Nigel Bradham. He's an excellent cover LB and veteran with a SB ring.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:20 AM)pledgi Wrote: I'd really like to see them go after Nigel Bradham. He's an excellent cover LB and veteran with a SB ring.

I think it’s going to be tough to sign any player with an injury concern, since teams can’t do physicals right now. TBS, I’d like Bradham too, loved his intensity when he played at FSU and was a great team leader. Haven’t really followed his pro career though.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Watching YouTube video from Orange & Black Insider podcast. Says Bengals went after Littleton, Schobert and Kwiatkoski, got outbid or guy just wanted to go somewhere else. Good to hear the team tried at least.

From what I understand, talks with Kwiatkosi's agents didn't go far because he really wanted to go to the Raiders.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:27 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: From what I understand, talks with Kwiatkosi's agents didn't go far because he really wanted to go to the Raiders.

Hard for Cincinnati to compete with places like LV and Florida (Schobert) if the money is similar. That’s why until we build a consistent winner that guys want to play for we have to overpay.

Is what it is being a small market midwestern franchise that hasn’t been good for a few years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm more concerned with fixing the oline and protecting Burrow
Reply/Quote
Bottom line for me is this team got a lot better this offseason. With the offseason additions it really opens up the draft. Sure LB is a huge weakness but realistically it would be impossible for the Bengals to fill all there needs in one offseason. This rebuild will probably take 2 seasons which was significantly speed up by being aggressive in free agency. I rather pay for a guy like Reader who is one of the best at his position then overpay for a guy like Schobert. Feel like it’s just as important to dominate the D-line and lock it up on the outside. Even at pick 33 don’t reach for a linebacker take the best player available. I think with LB needy teams like the Raiders, Jaguars and Dolphins signing free agent linebackers along with a possible run on WR’s and Cb’s in round one there’s a chance Queen or Murray could fall to pick 33. Plus Zack Baun is also an interesting prospect if this team wants to keep going with a hybrid defense.
Reply/Quote
I'm expecting that we'll re-sign Vigil at some point in the next week or so.
Reply/Quote
Ogletree is worth a look. Cant be worse than Preston Brown.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Here’s Hobson’s take:

“ So it appeared by the end of business Thursday that the Bengals were taking a break to study the next wave. They're still in the hunt for Mr. Linebacker, albeit this guy or guys won't be as all-around as the top candidates that were spoken for on the first day.
But it looks like they think they can still find a solid run player and/or a run-around guy that can play special teams while taking advantage of a particularly solid draft class.”

I've heard on the radio several times that there are a ton of great linebackers in the middle rounds of this draft.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 10:11 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I've heard on the radio several times that there are a ton of great linebackers in the middle rounds of this draft.  

They defintiely tested well at the combine. Lots of fast 40's, 20+ reps on the bench, big verts and broad jumps.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 08:46 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: I'm more concerned with fixing the oline and protecting Burrow

I'm with you.  LB is absolutely a need, but I want the next focus of the front office to be Burrow, offensive line, blocking TEs, fullback, etc.  Protect the franchise!
Reply/Quote
We also need to consider that Taylor and the coaches were able to see some of the players during the Senior Bowl. Perhaps they see a few LB gems they can get in rounds 3+?
Reply/Quote
I'll say this, every FA they have signed so far has graded well against the run.

I am in no way saying they should not trade for a guy.

These guys are great additions but Reader can be more than twice as effective if he knows he has a good LB behind him to help defend.

It makes guys like Kenneth Murray, zach Baun and Jordan Brooks even more important. Like almost paramount they draft one or 2.

Really think vigil can fit in too. Like not starting but hes fine at defending the pass, which is still a priority
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Watching YouTube video from Orange & Black Insider podcast. Says Bengals went after Littleton, Schobert and Kwiatkoski, got outbid or guy just wanted to go somewhere else. Good to hear the team tried at least.

Knew we went after Schobert and Kwiatkoski, didn't know that about Littleton.

(03-20-2020, 12:20 AM)pledgi Wrote: I'd really like to see them go after Nigel Bradham.  He's an excellent cover LB and veteran with a SB ring.

Me too Pledgi. Just don't think we can work any Linebackers out at this point so I expect a few of these guys to still be 
around after the Draft until teams can work out some of these guys.

(03-20-2020, 01:12 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think it’s going to be tough to sign any player with an injury concern, since teams can’t do physicals right now. TBS, I’d like Bradham too, loved his intensity when he played at FSU and was a great team leader. Haven’t really followed his pro career though.

Played very good for the Eagles, always stood out to me in a great way. Bradham, yeah, would like to see this guy in stripes.

(03-20-2020, 10:11 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I've heard on the radio several times that there are a ton of great linebackers in the middle rounds of this draft.  

Brooks, Gaither, Dye and there are a bunch more that could be around in the mid rounds for us to scoop up.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 08:49 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Bottom line for me is this team got a lot better this offseason. With the offseason additions it really opens up the draft. Sure LB is a huge weakness but realistically it would be impossible for the Bengals to fill all there needs in one offseason.  This rebuild will probably take 2 seasons which was significantly speed up by being aggressive in free agency. I rather pay for a guy like Reader who is one of the best at his position then overpay for a guy like Schobert. Feel like it’s just as important to dominate the D-line and lock it up on the outside. Even at pick 33 don’t reach for a linebacker take the best player available. I think with LB needy teams like the Raiders, Jaguars and Dolphins signing free agent linebackers along with a possible run on WR’s and Cb’s in round one there’s a chance Queen or Murray could fall to pick 33. Plus Zack Baun is also an  interesting prospect if this team wants to keep going with a hybrid defense.

Great post, you're not the lone Bengal on those thoughts! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Most of the LB's ran better than expected and did well in the drills at least. I know it's not game film, but all the NFL cast was pretty impressed with the speed. It's a deeper class than expected.
I think they can find a fast LB in Round 3.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get your sentiment, but we really don't need 3 LBs.  We have Pratt, who by my eyeball test looks like he's going to be really good.  Depending on how much 3-4 and 4-3 we run, I can see us only looking for one good, traditional LB to pair with Pratt.  OLBs in 3-4 and hybrid are more or less DEs and Edge types.

Absolutely, except that I now feel like they are "pressured" to draft a LB, whereas prior to FA they had the option of signing one.  I logically understand why they chose to put their chips on Reader and Waynes, no need to get into a bidding war for a position that arguably had the worst return on investment in free agency than any other position.

They only have Pratt and Evans right now. They need two more for depth.
Shawn Williams played most of his snaps last year at LB per Joe Goodberry:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd expect/hope the Bengals go after one of Murray, Queen, or Brooks in Rd 2 and then Cal LB Evan Weaver (who they met with) sometime on Day 3. That would be a satisfactory boost to the LB room with Pratt, Evans, and Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They only have Pratt and Evans right now. They need two more for depth.
Shawn Williams played most of his snaps last year at LB per Joe Goodberry:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd expect/hope the Bengals go after one of Murray, Queen, or Brooks in Rd 2 and then Cal LB Evan Weaver (who they met with) sometime on Day 3. That would be a satisfactory boost to the LB room with Pratt, Evans, and Williams.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote