Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the LBs?
Joe Goodberry contradicts himself here 575 snaps at linebacker but only 113 of them were in the box? I guessing hes talking over hang but that only counts if they have 2 safeties behind him and I sure as hell didnt see that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They only have Pratt and Evans right now. They need two more for depth.
Shawn Williams played most of his snaps last year at LB per Joe Goodberry:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd expect/hope the Bengals go after one of Murray, Queen, or Brooks in Rd 2 and then Cal LB Evan Weaver (who they met with) sometime on Day 3. That would be a satisfactory boost to the LB room with Pratt, Evans, and Williams.

I think they go after offense tbh, especially after all the defensive adds via FA. When they got AJ, they went after AD, then in round 4 got Clint. Jay had a good piece that reflected some data on here

https://theathletic.com/1656675/2020/03/06/should-the-bengals-go-offense-offense-offense-with-their-first-3-draft-picks/
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think they go after offense tbh, especially after all the defensive adds via FA. When they got AJ, they went after AD, then in round 4 got Clint. Jay had a good piece that reflected some data on here

https://theathletic.com/1656675/2020/03/06/should-the-bengals-go-offense-offense-offense-with-their-first-3-draft-picks/

Maybe. I think we see Burrow, 1-2 OL, a LB, and a WR in Rds 1-5. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Joe Goodberry contradicts himself here 575 snaps at linebacker but only 113 of them were in the box? I guessing hes talking over hang but that only counts if they have 2 safeties behind him and I sure as hell didnt see that.

Not busting on you, but that quote did say "through three games".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They only have Pratt and Evans right now. They need two more for depth.
Shawn Williams played most of his snaps last year at LB per Joe Goodberry:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd expect/hope the Bengals go after one of Murray, Queen, or Brooks in Rd 2 and then Cal LB Evan Weaver (who they met with) sometime on Day 3. That would be a satisfactory boost to the LB room with Pratt, Evans, and Williams.

I guess that I should have mentioned that I pretty much expect them to re-sign Vigil, and likely whomever they feel is a good pickup from the scrap heap, prior to the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not busting on you, but that quote did say "through three games".

You are correct my bad but still 575 I dont think so. Hell the other 3 safeties on the roster don't even add up to 575 snaps (298). I still think Goodberry is counting every snap they played in cover 1 which isnt linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess that I should have mentioned that I pretty much expect them to re-sign Vigil, and likely whomever they feel is a good pickup from the scrap heap, prior to the draft.

That wouldn't surprise me
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: You are correct my bad but still 575 I dont think so. Hell the other 3 safeties on the roster don't even add up to 575 snaps (298). I still think Goodberry is counting every snap they played in cover 1 which isnt linebacker.

There is some discrepancy.
The numbers Joe lists add up to 864 snaps.
According to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2019-snap-counts.htm, he had 1003 defensive snaps last season.
There are 139 snaps unaccounted for.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think Queen or Murray will be our 2nd round pick. And I'm really hoping we take LB Evan Weaver in the 4th.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget we need depth at DE.
Reply/Quote
Some guy on ESPN whose name I don't recognize has a list of the top 15 FA's left. Mark Barron's name is not on it.

There is a LB named Markus Golden who I know nothing about. Anybody? He's #6 on the list.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 07:05 PM)McC Wrote: Some guy on ESPN whose name I don't recognize has a list of the top 15 FA's left.  Mark Barron's name is not on it.

There is a LB named Markus Golden who I know nothing about.  Anybody?  He's #6 on the list.

Pass rusher. 10 sacks last year. Had 12.5 sacks with ARI in 2016.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 01:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hard for Cincinnati to compete with places like LV and Florida (Schobert) if the money is similar. That’s why until we build a consistent winner that guys want to play for we have to overpay.

Is what it is being a small market midwestern franchise that hasn’t been good for a few years.

but from all accounts.. Jacksonville overpaid.. we could have had him if we wanted to overpay more.. glad we did not.. FA on their 2nd contract go for the money.. old veterans tend to go to winners since they have a small window and have $$ over time already
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 08:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but from all accounts.. Jacksonville overpaid.. we could have had him if we wanted to overpay more.. glad we did not.. FA on their 2nd contract go for the money.. old veterans tend to go to winners since they have a small window and have $$ over time already

Golden a good player from AZ...I would be good if they brought him in as a Lawson insurance policy...same kind of player 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 07:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pass rusher. 10 sacks last year. Had 12.5 sacks with ARI in 2016.

(03-20-2020, 09:12 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Golden a good player from AZ...I would be good if they brought him in as a Lawson insurance policy...same kind of player 

Great insurance in case Lawson cannot stay healthy damn rights.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 04:04 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I think Queen or Murray will be our 2nd round pick. And I'm really hoping we take LB Evan Weaver in the 4th.

NFL.Com has 16 LBs ranked ahead of Weaver on overall grades.
I'd hope that Harrison from OSU could be there for them in the 3rd.
And, the Bengals have supposedly spent a lot of time with Akeem Davis Gaither, both ranked above Weaver.
Weaver runs a 4.76 40
Harrison runs a 4.44 40
Gaither pulled up with hammy during combine. He's a tweener at 227 lbs., but a playmaker you can move everywhere. He benched 21 reps at the combine.

If you throw Weaver in the middle with his size at 6'2", 237 lbs, then he's your guy. Only benched 15 reps, so needs to get stronger.
He didn't impress me in the Senior Bowl, seemed to keep getting eaten up on blocks.
I think if you're looking for LBers that will cover, then Harrison and Gaither are your guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 10:22 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: NFL.Com has 16 LBs ranked ahead of Weaver on overall grades.
I'd hope that Harrison from OSU could be there for them in the 3rd.
And, the Bengals have supposedly spent a lot of time with Akeem Davis Gaither, both ranked above Weaver.
Weaver runs a 4.76 40
Harrison runs a 4.44 40
Gaither pulled up with hammy during combine. He's a tweener at 227 lbs., but a playmaker you can move everywhere. He benched 21 reps at the combine.

If you throw Weaver in the middle with his size at 6'2", 237 lbs, then he's your guy. Only benched 15 reps, so needs to get stronger.
He didn't impress me in the Senior Bowl, seemed to keep getting eaten up on blocks.
I think if you're looking for LBers that will cover, then Harrison and Gaither are your guys.

I keep forgetting about Malik Harrison for some damn reason, would love to have him.

Never cared for Weaver much. Decent tackler, he has that going for him.
Reply/Quote
I'd jump on Clay Matthews, set him in a 4-3 rushing with Lawson on the other side, Dunlap and Hubbard on the ends with Geno and Reader up the middle....

Just sayin.

Yes you need to cover but shit. That's a damn pass rush
Reply/Quote
I'm fully expecting Vigil to be brought back. We didn't land any of the big 3 LBs in free agency and we haven't heard a peep about any other team being interested in Vigil. Most likely a 1 year deal to give him a shot next year while taking a LB in rounds 2 or 3.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
We need LB's and S's both imo. Its cool that Shawn Williams played a bunch of LB last year I suppose, except he wasnt that good at it. I know pff is just a guideline that doesnt show the entire story, but his 54 grade on there is a little weak. Bates at least got to 59 lol. Lets just say I dont think anyone is scared to go over the middle of our defense and in fact exploit it for the weakness it is.

My last corona boredom mock said:
1. Burrow
2. Baun
3. Chinn
4. Davis-Gaither
5. Lemeiux
6. Runyan
7. Jauan Jennings
Reply/Quote