Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Where did the "I Can't Because..." mindset come from?
I've been noticing it more and more everywhere I go.

Why do people fall into this trap?

Or is it that I am noticing it more and it's always been there?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(05-16-2015, 01:33 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've been noticing it more and more everywhere I go.

You mean as in, "I can't pay taxes because I don't owe the government anything?" I think it originated with rich, selfish pricks who own big corporations or inherited tremendous amounts of wealth and then was just co-opted by the average mouth breathers who think, "Hey, he is rich, so he must know everything."
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-16-2015, 03:16 PM)xxlt Wrote: You mean as in, "I can't pay taxes because I don't owe the government anything?" I think it originated with rich, selfish pricks who own big corporations or inherited tremendous amounts of wealth and then was just co-opted by the average mouth breathers who think, "Hey, he is rich, so he must know everything."

Wow! Do you form opinions of your own by getting all information or do you just parrot the White House talking points?
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(05-16-2015, 03:16 PM)xxlt Wrote: You mean as in, "I can't pay taxes because I don't owe the government anything?" I think it originated with rich, selfish pricks who own big corporations or inherited tremendous amounts of wealth and then was just co-opted by the average mouth breathers who think, "Hey, he is rich, so he must know everything."

(05-16-2015, 03:30 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wow! Do you form opinions of your own by getting all information or do you just parrot the White House talking points?

Well, in defense of xxlt, you did leave yourself open for sarcasm, by not being very specific as to what you were aiming at.

Are you talking about general laziness? Unwillingness to give of one's time or money? As I have noticed a few trends in recent years, as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-16-2015, 01:33 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've been noticing it more and more everywhere I go.

I'm looking for some more context, here. I think I know to what you are referring, but I can't be sure.

If it is what I think it is, there has been a decades long road to this path. Post World War II we saw a decline in the attitude of "we can do anything". There are a number of theories as to why this has happened. Some will tell you it is a more privileged attitude from some and that they lack work ethic. Some will tell you that it is because of widening gaps in the socioeconomic structure of our country causing a decline in motivation as the upward mobility potential is almost completely squashed.

What the real reason is, though, is still debated.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-16-2015, 03:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm looking for some more context, here. I think I know to what you are referring, but I can't be sure.

If it is what I think it is, there has been a decades long road to this path. Post World War II we saw a decline in the attitude of "we can do anything". There are a number of theories as to why this has happened. Some will tell you it is a more privileged attitude from some and that they lack work ethic. Some will tell you that it is because of widening gaps in the socioeconomic structure of our country causing a decline in motivation as the upward mobility potential is almost completely squashed.

We are, indeed, far removed from the days of "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-16-2015, 03:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm looking for some more context, here. I think I know to what you are referring, but I can't be sure.

Ummmm the rise in progressive politics. FDR put progressive policies on steroids.

Those same policies have made us a dependent public ..... Because we feel entitled to ..... Social security.... Etc.

The greatest generation of the world didn't count on anyone but themselves.... The baby boomers grew up embracing progressive polices. And my generation has continued them.... Thankfully the millennials are moving away from those policies .... And more towards freedom based
(05-16-2015, 03:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, in defense of xxlt, you did leave yourself open for sarcasm, by not being very specific as to what you were aiming at.  

Are you talking about general laziness?  Unwillingness to give of one's time or money?  As I have noticed a few trends in recent years, as well.

(05-16-2015, 05:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ummmm the rise in progressive politics.  FDR put progressive policies on steroids.  

Those same policies have made us a dependent public ..... Because we feel entitled to .....  Social security.... Etc.  

The greatest generation of the world didn't count on anyone but themselves.... The baby boomers grew up embracing progressive polices.   And my generation has continued them.... Thankfully the millennials are moving away from those policies .... And more towards freedom based

No, what XXLT is saying is "I won't" he just put "I can't" to try and make his argument and slam whatever it is he wants to slam.

"I can't pay taxes" makes no sense when you put it in the context that he put it in.

"I can't because..." can be anything you want it to be. "I can't because I'm disabled" or "I can't because I'm poor".

You all are confusing "I can't" with "I won't" or "Don't have to"
(05-16-2015, 05:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ummmm the rise in progressive politics.  FDR put progressive policies on steroids.  

Those same policies have made us a dependent public ..... Because we feel entitled to .....  Social security.... Etc.  

The greatest generation of the world didn't count on anyone but themselves.... The baby boomers grew up embracing progressive polices.   And my generation has continued them.... Thankfully the millennials are moving away from those policies .... And more towards freedom based

I'm not going to deny that there is some of that dependence in play here. However, it can't be denied that for some reason, it may even be progressive policies, upward mobility in the socioeconomic ladder is exponentially more difficult than it was a century, or even 50 years ago. That's a fact. What caused that, or what has resulted from this, is hard to pin down to one thing and it likely isn't anyway.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-16-2015, 05:30 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: No, what XXLT is saying is "I won't" he just put "I can't" to try and make his argument and slam whatever it is he wants to slam.

"I can't pay taxes" makes no sense when you put it in the context that he put it in.

"I can't because..." can be anything you want it to be. "I can't because I'm disabled" or "I can't because I'm poor".

You all are confusing "I can't" with "I won't" or "Don't have to"

Then why don't you clarify what it is that you really mean, rather than leaving it vague and ambiguous?

As it is, you threw some half finished idea out there, and want to pick people apart for trying to decipher it..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-16-2015, 05:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not going to deny that there is some of that dependence in play here. However, it can't be denied that for some reason, it may even be progressive policies, upward mobility in the socioeconomic ladder is exponentially more difficult than it was a century, or even 50 years ago. That's a fact. What caused that, or what has resulted from this, is hard to pin down to one thing and it likely isn't anyway.

Tax system has a lot to blame as well. Yes wealthy pay more but there are loads of escape hatches.

And the over use of regulation has closed out competition in many industries. We had such a robust tech boom because there were no regulations.

Regulations have drained the American spirit of innovation because when someone has an idea they need a massive bank roll to manuever the regulation associated.
A wise old lady I worked with once said "that's Democrats for you...they don't think anyone should be responsible for anything"

At the time I laughed....now I see her wisdom.
(05-16-2015, 05:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Then why don't you clarify what it is that you really mean, rather than leaving it vague and ambiguous?

As it is, you threw some half finished idea out there, and want to pick people apart for trying to decipher it..

Because of you clearly say what you mean you then have to defend it and have a full discussion on it.

But remaining vague you can keep telling people they are wrong and that they don't understand.

Have you not paid attention to how "debate" works?

Note: Decent first post I think. Tongue
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Actually I'll bet you are not hearing it more at all. Instead the right wing media is telling you that people are saying this more than ever. Please try and give specific examples of when you have heard people say they can't do things. It may be because they really can not do the things they claim they can't.

People like to brag about the "good old days" when everyone thought they could do anything, but the fact is that things were much simpler back then. Unskilled labor jobs paid well. Management did not make a thousand times more than labor. People with no skills or education could make a decent living.