Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Gio?
(11-22-2017, 01:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't Cook out for the year with a blown ACL?

Yep, went out in week 4 and yet Mixon only has 16 more yards than he does at this point of the season.  Oof.

(11-22-2017, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well of course he would. We're all probably sick of talking about it, but it's this joke of an o-line. Nobody can run behind it. It's not Mixon's fault. Not Hill's fault. Not Gio's fault. They're all solid backs, IMO. This line is a giant anchor around the neck of every offensive player.

A season-killing anchor that could have been avoided (or we could have at least TRIED to avoid it).  And to think, Mike Brown has seen players quit on him.  Astounding.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 07:59 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Has anyone considered the fact that the new OC is in over his head? Mixon is not, and never has been the answer.
Gio should be more involved in the offense. If he were playing for NE,KC,NO, or Pitt,he would be putting up numbers.

Gio has had his chances.  He too is doing absolutely nothing.  Do you recognize a pattern?  It doesn't take Einstein to see it ain't the backs.  Why mention a bunch of teams with good lines when that's totally irrelevant in comparison with the Bengals?  Swing and a giant miss.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
At the risk of sounding redundant, and I loath risking sounding redundant, OLINE! 
They have the kid Mixon getting plastered behind the line of scrimmage half the time through no fault of his own. What would lead anyone to think Gio would fare any better? We could have Jim Brown in his prime and he'd be getting roughly the same results behind our juggernaut Oline..  
Redundancy, it's the fuel that makes our offense sputter.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 12:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: At the risk of sounding redundant, and I loath risking sounding redundant, OLINE! 
They have the kid Mixon getting plastered behind the line of scrimmage half the time through no fault of his own. What would lead anyone to think Gio would fare any better? We could have Jim Brown in his prime and he'd be getting roughly the same results behind our juggernaut Oline..  

Do you loathe the risking, or do you loathe the sounding?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A season-killing anchor that could have been avoided (or we could have at least TRIED to avoid it).  And to think, Mike Brown has seen players quit on him.  Astounding.

Well if the fans could see the line sank our season last year, I'm sure the FO, coaches and players did as well.

We respond to that by letting the 2 best linemen walk and gifting jobs to 3 linemen who were awful last year. Not even the faintest attempt to bring in competition.

Then we "replace" Zeitler with some guy who was hanging around on the practice squad. Great effort, FO! Total commitment to excrement.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 08:51 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Gio has always been one of my favourite players ...seems team focussed and classy to me and you've got to admire how hard he must have worked to get back for this season (though I agree he may not be fully fit).

Up until his injury he was always good for 1000+ all purpose yards and some chunk yard gains in a season. 

For me I have always tended to want him more involved not less, and apart from Hill's rookie season Gio has consistently gotten more YPC.

I don't know what is up. 

My guess is that as the new OC maybe Lazor has been too malleable, influenced by the talk about RB by committee, Mixon deciding to voice his opinion about the number of carries he got (which still rubs me up the wrong way)....

He's a valuable player but Mixon has been anointed the lead guy and there's not a lot of opportunity for Gio...if that continues he should be let go as he is on a good contract and he sure as hell could go back to the 1000+ yards production for another team

Mixon and Gio in the backfield at the same time gives Dalton many more play-options assuming he avoids being smashed as soon as he gets the snap.
Reply/Quote
So everyone thought Jeremy Hill was bad and the masses cried we need a better running back so Mixon was brought in. In the meantime all RB production has declined. Likewise the QB barely has enough time to get a pass off before the center lands in his lap.

Conclusion So either the Bengals do not know how to judge RB talent and our QB totally sucks after productive 7 years or something else is amiss. I think they need a new offensive line coach and philosophies. It has nothing to do with the skilled positions and everything with the blocking and scheme up front. It is that simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:45 AM)McC Wrote: Gio has had his chances.  He too is doing absolutely nothing.  Do you recognize a pattern?  It doesn't take Einstein to see it ain't the backs.  Why mention a bunch of teams with good lines when that's totally irrelevant in comparison with the Bengals?  Swing and a giant miss.

You believe what you want to believe, and I'll keep it real. Everyone knows that this offensive line blows, but that wasn't the thread title. Gio would be putting up numbers in just about any other offense in the league, if given the touches. Hell, I would venture to say he would put up better numbers on any other team in the league including Cleveland. At least Hue knows how to use him.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 11:45 AM)McC Wrote: Gio has had his chances.  He too is doing absolutely nothing.  Do you recognize a pattern?  It doesn't take Einstein to see it ain't the backs.  Why mention a bunch of teams with good lines when that's totally irrelevant in comparison with the Bengals?  Swing and a giant miss.

That is the entire point of this thread.  Gio has NOT had his chances.  He has 31 carries an 18 receptions in 10 games.  That is less than 5 touches per game.  That is approx 30-35% of his traditional workload.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 10:25 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: That is the entire point of this thread.  Gio has NOT had his chances.  He has 31 carries an 18 receptions in 10 games.  That is less than 5 touches per game.  That is approx 30-35% of his traditional workload.

Believe it or not, his percentage of snaps are up this season compared to last.  Last season he was in on 36.25% of offensive snaps and 0 ST snaps.  This season he has been in on 36.27% of offensive plays, and 24 ST plays.  His touches are way down just the same as all skilled players this season, because each possession is averaging 5 plays.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 12:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: At the risk of sounding redundant, and I loath risking sounding redundant, OLINE! 

Amen!

I remember the offensive line still being an issue in 2010 and 2011 and when the 2012 NFL draft came along, I distinctly recall a poster on here pleading for the Bengals to draft Alabama’s Trent Richardson because he “would make the line look good.”

It doesn’t work that way. Trent was drafted by the Browns and got mauled. Why? Cleveland’s offensive line was even worse.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 10:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the last 6 games, Gio has 13 carries for 20 yards and 10 catches for 70 yards. He went from integral part of the offense to only seeing the field to give Mixon a breather. If this is Gio's permanent role going forward, we need to think long and hard about cutting him after the season.

Gio has the 11th highest salary among RB's in the entire league, and he's down to 3.8 touches over his last 6 games. It's a total waste of cap. There's an easy out in his contract for 2018, but I doubt we use it "cuz loyalty". It's a dumb move to pay him this much though, if he's not going to be a central part of the offense.

I like the guy, but it is what it is.

I'm not for cutting Gio, but I've always considered him overrated and over drafted. Never understood the team selected him as the first RB in the draft a few years ago.

However, he just isn't being utilized correctly and that may very well have to do with the pisspoor OL blocking. Gio needs to get touches that are outside the pocket cause Gio up the middle for -1 yards is pretty guaranteed to be the result if we run him between the tackles.

Gio does have trade value. There are teams that do know how to use an undersized dynamic back.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:40 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Believe it or not, his percentage of snaps are up this season compared to last.  Last season he was in on 36.25% of offensive snaps and 0 ST snaps.  This season he has been in on 36.27% of offensive plays, and 24 ST plays.  His touches are way down just the same as all skilled players this season, because each possession is averaging 5 plays.

5 plays? ****!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm not for cutting Gio, but I've always considered him overrated and over drafted. Never understood the team selected him as the first RB in the draft a few years ago.

However, he just isn't being utilized correctly and that may very well have to do with the pisspoor OL blocking. Gio needs to get touches that are outside the pocket cause Gio up the middle for -1 yards is pretty guaranteed to be the result if we run him between the tackles.

Gio does have trade value. There are teams that do know how to use an undersized dynamic back.

I have as well. I remember debating a few on here that claimed Gio was >> Jamaal Charles. Gio has never produced at that level and was seen as a disappointment in his brief stint as starter back in 2014. Gio is basically Danny Woodhead. Great RB for passing downs and can be a weapon if used properly...but not the guy you hand off to 15-20 times a game. 

I think New Orleans, New England or San Diego LA would make the best use of him. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When we only get 30 snaps a game its hard to use him like he should be used.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:34 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have as well. I remember debating a few on here that claimed Gio was >> Jamaal Charles. Gio has never produced at that level and was seen as a disappointment in his brief stint as starter back in 2014. Gio is basically Danny Woodhead. Great RB for passing downs and can be a weapon if used properly...but not the guy you hand off to 15-20 times a game. 

I think New Orleans, New England or San Diego LA would make the best use of him. 

Absolutely!

I do wonder why we don't put him in the slot though since our WRs not named Green all seem to disappear during games even if active for the game. We did this with Burkhead before not re-signing him and it worked better than what we are sending out there this year. Boyd isn't doing anything and LaFell is nowhere near last year and Ross is .

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:33 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: 5 plays? ****!!!!!!!!!!!

If you round up.  Otherwise it is worse... 4.99 plays per drive

Dead last in total offensive drives and plays per drive

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

It should come as no surprise then that we are also dead last in plays per game, although we are up considerably over last season:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2017, 11:40 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Believe it or not, his percentage of snaps are up this season compared to last.  Last season he was in on 36.25% of offensive snaps and 0 ST snaps.  This season he has been in on 36.27% of offensive plays, and 24 ST plays.  His touches are way down just the same as all skilled players this season, because each possession is averaging 5 plays.

I'm sure someone will blame the defense.

5 plays per drive is awfully bad. That's a lot of 3 and outs.

I just now looked at those stats. That 5 plays per drive is last in the league, below the Browns. OMG does out offense $uck the donkey.

Reply/Quote
I know where he is....in the backfield under three defensive linemen and 1 linebacker.
Reply/Quote
Typical Marvin playing the rookie over the proven vet. It took an injury to an underperforming that forced Marvin to make the move he should have at the beginning of the season.

In the 2 games Gio have gotten the majority of the carries he has 139 yards at well over 5.6 YPC. And this behind a oline that NOBODY could run behind.

Who else besides me is tired of Marvin playing these rookies over proven vets?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote