Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(06-05-2019, 10:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Akili Ross doesn't produce in his first 4 games this season, he won't have any trade value.

Right. Ross wouldn't fetch more than a 5th round pick if he hasn't produced anything by the trade deadline.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 09:00 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If he doesn't nail the next two years he won't be a Bengal. When a first rounder can' stay on the team for a full five years he is a bust . Saying he is a adequate player is a term for late rounders. Missing on so many first round picks is why the team is where it is now. 

We know how this will play out for Ross. He'll suck until his contract year, then have a big year and leave in free agency.

Or he'll go the route of Ced and not get his option picked up and end up on another team as a special teams player.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 11:26 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We know how this will play out for Ross. He'll suck until his contract year, then have a big year and leave in free agency.

Or he'll go the route of Ced and not get his option picked up and end up on another team as a special teams player.

Or Ross will prove to have quicker feet than Ced at the left tackle position and end up with Jacksonville & beating out Ced for a starting offensive tackle job.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Ross is not practicing with an unknown injury:

WORKING BACK: Several Bengals continued to work back from injury during OTAs. Among those on the rehab field were tight ends Tyler Eifert (ankle) and Mason Schreck (ACL), defensive linemen Carl Lawson (ACL) and Ryan Glasgow (ACL), wide receivers Green (toe) and Ross (unknown), tackle Kent Perkins (unknown), guards Clint Boling (unknown), Christian Westerman (unknown), Alex Redmond (shoulder), Rod Taylor (ACL), safety Trayvon Henderson (ACL), safety Shawn Williams (unknown) and running back Rodney Anderson (ACL). Linebacker Germaine Pratt was back in action after missing some OTA work last week with a hamstring strain.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm sure that there are instances where route running and/or effort was poor, but I do recall a couple specific instances (at least) where Dalton was wildly off target. I don't know if I'd put all the blame on Ross. I think Dalton and Ross need to spend more time together in practice just themselves to get into rhythm.

Also, the further down field the throws are, the lower the completion percentage ends up being. Given most of Ross' targets were more downfield, it's expected that he will have a lower percentage of receptions per target.
For example:
Tyler Boyd's average target distance = 9.9 yards
AJ Green's average target distance = 13.6 yards
John Ross' average target distance = 14.6 yards

His average target distance was 14.6, but his YPC was 10.0? Interesting. 58 targets is a pretty big sample size, so that gap between his yards/target and yards/catch is wild. For comparison, Green averaged 15.1 yards/catch, which is more than his yards/target.

Either way, if Dalton is way off on a regular basis with Ross, I tend to give Dalton more benefit of the doubt than Ross. Dalton hasn't struggled like this with any other receiver in 8 years. You look at that and Ross' reputation, and I don't think it's difficult to see where the problem really is. I'm hoping to see major strides under Taylor.

(06-06-2019, 09:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Right. Ross wouldn't fetch more than a 5th round pick if he hasn't produced anything by the trade deadline.

Probably a conditional 5th, if that. He has a lot of similarities to Breshad Perriman (1st round, speedster, bust, injuries) and the Ravens tried and failed to trade Perriman. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 11:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross is not practicing with an unknown injury.

Marvin clearly has a voodoo doll of this poor kid.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote