Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(05-25-2019, 07:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Well that would be conjecture, not a statistic...
What?  A fact is not conjecture.  Put it this way--he had more TD's last year than any single player on 18 of the teams in the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 07:53 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Well that would be conjecture, not a statistic...
Maybe I should have phrased it more explicitly instead of just implying some parts of the sentence:

Ross' number of touchdowns would have made him the team leader in touchdowns on 18 teams last year, were he to have that same production on one of those teams.

That is a stat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 06:41 PM)treee Wrote: Saw a stat the other day, something like:

Ross would have led 18 teams in touchdowns last year, if he were on their team.

The problem is he wasn't on their teams so there's no possible way of knowing how he would have been used or if he might have been injured, retired, hiding in the bathroom or made into overnight football god.. 
Kind of like if I had married Jenifer Lawrence last year..I'd be just another depressed old dude wishing I had married someone else most likely..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He should do it. At least have something outstanding to have accomplished while being an NFL Player.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 10:00 PM)Destro Wrote: He should do it. At least have something outstanding to have accomplished while being an NFL Player.

Nah, he needs to hold out for a horse race.  That's how you make yourself a legend.

[Image: chad.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I hope the team forbids him from doing it. I hope he has zero interest in doing it. It's a stupid publicity gimmick and any Bengal fan who thinks he should is off his ***** rocker.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 10:40 AM)McC Wrote: I hope the team forbids him from doing it.  I hope he has zero interest in doing it.   It's a stupid publicity gimmick and any Bengal fan who thinks he should is off his ***** rocker.

Exactly, I've seen junior high girls run track...that stuff is way too dangerous for a professional athlete like Ross.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 08:01 PM)McC Wrote: What?  A fact is not conjecture.  Put it this way--he had more TD's last year than any single player on 18 of the teams in the league.

(05-25-2019, 08:02 PM)treee Wrote: Maybe I should have phrased it more explicitly instead of just implying some parts of the sentence:

Ross' number of touchdowns would have made him the team leader in touchdowns on 18 teams last year, were he to have that same production on one of those teams.

That is a stat.

My bad.

Somehow I COMPLETELY misread the post.

What I THOUGHT I read was the implication he would have had 18 touchdowns on some other team.

Selective dyslexia strikes again!
Reply/Quote
1. in a stretch of 6 weeks in 2018
Ross scored 5 of those games.

2. 3 of his TDs were vs the AFC North.

3.the Bengals were 2 and 5 when Ross scored a
TD.

4. when Ross was the only WR to to reach the end zone
the Bengals were 0 and 4.

5.when Ross scored with another WR/TE
the Bengals were 2 and 0.

6. Bill Lazor ran Ross in motion less than 40 times last year
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 10:00 PM)Destro Wrote: He should do it. At least have something outstanding to have accomplished while being an NFL Player.

Yeah, scoring 7 TD's in an NFL season is no accomplishment at all....
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 01:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: My bad.

Somehow I COMPLETELY misread the post.

What I THOUGHT I read was the implication he would have had 18 touchdowns on some other team.

Selective dyslexia strikes again!

[Image: 31xktn.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It won't be long after Ross has his breakout season that we'll find him out at the old River Downs ala Collinsworth and Ocho racing a horse...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Maybe he just doesn't like gambling...
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly, I've seen junior high girls run track...that stuff is way too dangerous for a professional athlete like Ross.

Is he being paid to run races, Snarkboy?

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was initially my reaction too...then I thought about it more. If running in a straight line with no contact fast is a large injury risk for Ross...he's never going to make it in the NFL.

It has nothing to do with being a large or even insignificant injury risk, it's an injury risk, period. It's an injury risk to anyone, there's always a chance something gets pulled or torn. It doesn't matter if it's John Ross, or Larry Fitzgerald, who has missed 6 total games in his 15 year career. A risk is a risk, and while he's an active player it's foolish to take said risk.

World class sprinters, whose entire focus and livelihood is centered around running in a straight line with no contact still pull muscles all the time while, you guessed it...running sprints. 

Freak things happen. As anyone who's even paid passing attention to the Bengals during the career of Tyler "You can't spell Eifert without IR" Eifert knows all too well. There's zero reason whatsoever to have a kid with an already spotty injury history go out and run a senseless race and potentially risk getting injured in the process.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: Is he being paid to run races, Snarkboy?

No way, he'd self destruct if he did.  Hims is made outta glass.

For the record I don't think he should do it.  But again I point out we simultaneously can lament how soft the NFL has gotten while praying our WR doesn't do something crazy like run.

Are we putting skirts on the guys or what?  I can't keep track. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, scoring 7 TD's in an NFL season is no accomplishment at all....

For a top 10 draft pick after 2 seasons, yeah, that is no big deal. Meanwhile, players have better stats in three games. JuJu has had a better year than Ross has had a career and he played 2nd to one some people have as the best in the league. Don't get me wrong; I hope Ross does well, but so far, he has shown very little. Will he turn the corner? i don't know, but if he does, he is likely to fumble and pull a hammy.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 12:25 PM)McC Wrote: Is he being paid to run races, Snarkboy?

I assume everyone participating will receive some form of compensation. As to the race: why not? I'm sure athletes participate in many off-season activities. Nothing wrong with JR getting what he can get.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Ross seemed like he hated the attention he got for 4.22.

I doubt he wants to partake in an event that would just shine more light on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I assume everyone participating will receive some form of compensation. As to the race: why not? I'm sure athletes participate in many off-season activities. Nothing wrong with JR getting what he can get.   
You have to train for race.  I say just let him go ahead and train for football.  The guy's got too much to prove to waste his time on anything else.

Reply/Quote