Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(05-27-2019, 05:12 PM)Destro Wrote: For a top 10 draft pick after 2 seasons, yeah, that is no big deal. Meanwhile, players have better stats in three games. JuJu has had a better year than Ross has had a career and he played 2nd to one some people have as the best in the league. Don't get me wrong; I hope Ross does well, but so far, he has shown very little. Will he turn the corner? i don't know, but if he does, he is likely to fumble and pull a hammy.

He hardly played his first season so scoring 7 TD's in his 2nd season IS a big deal and last time i heard, TD's win games in the NFL.

Man i hope he breaks out and has a great career so people can eat some major crow. This guy takes a lot of heat and much of it undeserved. We will see how he does with an offensive minded coach that doesn't put him in his dog house.

(05-27-2019, 09:19 PM)McC Wrote: You have to train for race.  I say just let him go ahead and train for football.  The guy's got too much to prove to waste his time on anything else.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
note from today's practice

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 04:25 PM)pally Wrote:

Meanwhile I don't think a single player has ever used the word "fun" even one time to describe Bill Belichick's method of teaching. So the positive nature of that is in question.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We both know he would. That illustrates a huge issue. We don't have a legit #3 WR that can be counted on.

A lot of teams don't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 04:25 PM)pally Wrote: note from today's practice

All good news about Ross, thanks Pally.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile I don't think a single player has ever used the word "fun" even one time to describe Bill Belichick's method of teaching. So the positive nature of that is in question.

No, but Belichick is not the only successful coach in the NFL. Sean Payton’s offensive players probably think his practices are pretty fun.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 06:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ross seemed like he hated the attention he got for 4.22.

I doubt he wants to partake in an event that would just shine more light on it.

I agree. It set a pretty high bar for him. I’ve seen people saying that he is the fastest player in NFL history (he isn’t), or that he is the fastest player in the league (he isn’t) and dogging him in all sorts of ways since he hasn’t been successful yet. He needs to just focus and work on the finer techniques of his game.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 03:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He hardly played his first season so scoring 7 TD's in his 2nd season IS a big deal and last time i heard, TD's win games in the NFL.

Man i hope he breaks out and has a great career so people can eat some major crow. This guy takes a lot of heat and much of it undeserved. We will see how he does with an offensive minded coach that doesn't put him in his dog house.

Exactly.

I didn't play that year, either, so I do have an upside. And winning games is cute to talk about on the couch during the playoffs. Boyd had 7, as well. I said I hope he does well, just that measuring his draft position and production don't bode well. Sucks that he got hurt; sucks what happened with the breakdown in communication caused by him alone. If he was a 5th round pick, I would say nothing about him and probably about the same if he was a 3rd rounder, but he was top ten pick. Not his fault people got all giddy about 40 yard dashes. If he ran a 4.55 he may have gotten a true evaluation.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:33 PM)Destro Wrote: I didn't play that year, either, so I do have an upside. And winning games is cute to talk about on the couch during the playoffs. Boyd had 7, as well. I said I hope he does well, just that measuring his draft position and production don't bode well. Sucks that he got hurt; sucks what happened with the breakdown in communication caused by him alone. If he was a 5th round pick, I would say nothing about him and probably about the same if he was a 3rd rounder, but he was top ten pick. Not his fault people all giddy about 40 yard dashes. If he ran a 4.55 he may have gotten a true evaluation.

7 TD's seems like a good number. But the 210 total yards receiving in 2 years combined is an equally bad statistic for a Top 10 pick.

He also shows in games that he seems to have a lack of awareness and doesn't seem to have the whatever it is that makes him fight for a 50/50 ball and come down with it.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A lot of teams don't.

We've been thin from WR3 on down for much of the last 10 years, aside from when we had Sanu. 

If you really look at other teams depth charts, most of them have more experience than we do. 

I'm not saying they're littered with 1000 yard guys, but teams usually have a WR3 or even WR4 who has experienced a 400 or 500 yard season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I now he doesn’t have the build as Tyreek Hill despite their similar sizes I just wish he was 70% Of what Hill is. I’m not sure what we can do about staying healthy but the guy is insane fast and just has to show more passion n instincts on the field. There hasn’t been any I mean any good news on Finley. Sounds like a wasted pick so far.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, but Belichick is not the only successful coach in the NFL. Sean Payton’s offensive players probably think his practices are pretty fun.

I don't know, haven't seen them say so that I recall. Certainly not 10 times.

I also think that Sean Payton has underachieved as a HC. (Hot take?) He's had HoF QB Drew Brees his entire career as a HC and has only won 2 playoff games in a season 1 time. Granted he gets credit for the SB win, but in the 8 years since he is 80-48 (10-6 average record) with a 4-5 postseason record.... that's with a first ballot HoF/top-7 all-time QB.

A brilliant offensive mind (likely, would like to see him replicate his offensive success with another QB) but I have hesitations on putting him in the great HC category.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 06:41 PM)treee Wrote: Saw a stat the other day, something like:

Ross would have led 18 teams in touchdowns last year, if he were on their team.

He wasn't in the top 100 in receptions or receiving yardage. What's your point? He isn't even close to being a top target and while getting open in the red zone is a plus he has a way to go to being a third receiver. The FO was stupid for taking him so high just because of one sprint at the combine.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 08:14 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He wasn't in the top 100 in receptions or receiving yardage. What's your point? He isn't even close to being a top target and while getting open in the red zone is a plus he has a way to go to being a third receiver. The FO was stupid for taking him so high just because of one sprint at the combine.

I was making the point that he is a lock for the Hall of Fame and maybe we should trade him for 3 first round picks before his contract is up.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully ZT doesn't put Ross in the dreaded accountabilityhouse like that meanie Marvin did.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 06:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know, haven't seen them say so that I recall. Certainly not 10 times.

I also think that Sean Payton has underachieved as a HC. (Hot take?) He's had HoF QB Drew Brees his entire career as a HC and has only won 2 playoff games in a season 1 time. Granted he gets credit for the SB win, but in the 8 years since he is 80-48 (10-6 average record) with a 4-5 postseason record.... that's with a first ballot HoF/top-7 all-time QB.

A brilliant offensive mind (likely, would like to see him replicate his offensive success with another QB) but I have hesitations on putting him in the great HC category.

Outside BB, who would you rank ahead of him? I also think he's an excellent in game coach. Also think he's not a "stale" coach. He totally flipped his "Drew Brees" offense to a more running centric offense (helps to have Kamara). I mean Pete Carrol has an Elite QB in Russell Wilson and only has one SB win, but he has done better overall in the PO (lost in one to. So I'd probably put Pete above him  
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 7 TD's seems like a good number. But the 210 total yards receiving in 2 years combined is an equally bad statistic for a Top 10 pick.

He also shows in games that he seems to have a lack of awareness and doesn't seem to have the whatever it is that makes him fight for a 50/50 ball and come down with it.

Quite a bit of it is the stale offense we've ran. If you watch the Rams, Pats or Saints offense there's a big difference between scheme. To many games teams seem like they're in our huddle.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
How's Jake Dolegala looking?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile I don't think a single player has ever used the word "fun" even one time to describe Bill Belichick's method of teaching. So the positive nature of that is in question.

The fun for them comes when they WIN games, then the Playoffs and wait for it.... then the Super Bowl. For the Bengals, before there was no fun in practice or in winning, so at least now practice is fun. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We've been thin from WR3 on down for much of the last 10 years, aside from when we had Sanu. 

If you really look at other teams depth charts, most of them have more experience than we do. 

I'm not saying they're littered with 1000 yard guys, but teams usually have a WR3 or even WR4 who has experienced a 400 or 500 yard season.

Are you talking about specifically a WR or just the third receiving option?

Below are the players since 2010 who have had about 400 yards or more and not been one of the top 2 on the team that year:
2010 - Shipley and Gresham both had 400+ yards
2011 - Gresham 596 yards
2012 - Hawkins 533 yards
2013 - Bernard, Gresham, Sanu, and Eifert all with 400+ yards
2014 - Gresham 460 yards
2015 - Eifert, Bernard, Sanu with 396+ yards
2016 - Boyd, Eifert with 394+ yards
2017 - Kroft 404 yards
2018 - Uzomah 439 yards

I think what we've seen for the past decade is that in place of a true WR3 like what Henry used to be, the Bengals have essentially made their TE into one of their top 3 receiving options. And because of that, they haven't depended as much on a true WR3 like they did in the mid-late 2000's. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote