Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is Ross?
(05-28-2019, 04:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Meanwhile I don't think a single player has ever used the word "fun" even one time to describe Bill Belichick's method of teaching. So the positive nature of that is in question.

Different people have different ideas as to what is fun.  For CJ, fun might mean getting early 1st team reps, might be the pace of practice, the types of plays called, how many passes are coming his way, the new coaches, the music being played at practice none of which involves saying
the practice isn't tough and that he isn't working hard. CJ has always come across as a pretty optimistic upbeat person so maybe he just likes looking on the bright side of things.

BB's methods work for him and his personality, they don't necessarily translate to another coaching staff or individual coach, as evidenced by the many who have tried and failed at replicating it.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Ross has been through how many OCs now.
3 counting Zac Taylor.
the other 2 are no longer OCs and probally never be
in those roles again.
for someone of his dynamics he was not put in positions
to showcase those.
did anybody see Ross run a pleathora of jet sweeps....
a fake jet sweep....
how about a bubble screen....
or a direct snap inside the 10...
the majority of his usage between the red zone was him trying to beat Cover 2
on smoke routes, post routes..
didnt see him much on a wheel routes either.
sluggo routes...nope.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:55 AM)pally Wrote: Different people have different ideas as to what is fun.  For CJ, fun might mean getting early 1st team reps, might be the pace of practice, the types of plays called, how many passes are coming his way, the new coaches, the music being played at practice none of which involves says the practice isn't tough and that he isn't working hard. CJ has always come across as a pretty optimistic upbeat person so maybe he just likes looking on the bright side of things.

BB's methods work for him and his personality, they don't necessarily translate to another coaching staff or individual coach, as evidenced by the many who have tried and failed at replicating it.

Very good post Pally
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you talking about specifically a WR or just the third receiving option?

Below are the players since 2010 who have had about 400 yards or more and not been one of the top 2 on the team that year:
2010 - Shipley and Gresham both had 400+ yards
2011 - Gresham 596 yards
2012 - Hawkins 533 yards
2013 - Bernard, Gresham, Sanu, and Eifert all with 400+ yards
2014 - Gresham 460 yards
2015 - Eifert, Bernard, Sanu with 396+ yards
2016 - Boyd, Eifert with 394+ yards
2017 - Kroft 404 yards
2018 - Uzomah 439 yards

I think what we've seen for the past decade is that in place of a true WR3 like what Henry used to be, the Bengals have essentially made their TE into one of their top 3 receiving options. And because of that, they haven't depended as much on a true WR3 like they did in the mid-late 2000's. 
You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing, we use our TEs a lot as our 3rd receiver.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 01:41 PM)McC Wrote: I'd rather have him just concentrate on playing football anyway.

this^^^^^ Thread over.
Reply/Quote
“With John he’s still thinking,” Boyd said, via the team’s official website. “He’s thinking and then he reacts. I feel like once he gets comfortable and makes plays he’ll be fine. He’s just got to cut it loose. He’s a great player. He runs his routes clean and he’s the fastest guy in the league. Once it comes to him and he can just react, it’ll be like a hot knife through butter.”
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:33 PM)Destro Wrote: I didn't play that year, either, so I do have an upside. And winning games is cute to talk about on the couch during the playoffs. Boyd had 7, as well. I said I hope he does well, just that measuring his draft position and production don't bode well. Sucks that he got hurt; sucks what happened with the breakdown in communication caused by him alone. If he was a 5th round pick, I would say nothing about him and probably about the same if he was a 3rd rounder, but he was top ten pick. Not his fault people got all giddy about 40 yard dashes. If he ran a 4.55 he may have gotten a true evaluation.

Pretty hard to accomplish anything not playing is all i am saying.

Not going to judge him his rookie year, he simply didn't have many opportunities.

He has a lot to work on mentally. I think once he gets the mental part of the game and just plays his game without thinking too much we will have a great weapon to put on the field with AJ, Boyd, Mixon and our TE's. We will see how he does under Taylor and Callahan instead of Marv, Zampese/Lazor.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 01:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: “With John he’s still thinking,” Boyd said, via the team’s official website. “He’s thinking and then he reacts. I feel like once he gets comfortable and makes plays he’ll be fine. He’s just got to cut it loose. He’s a great player. He runs his routes clean and he’s the fastest guy in the league. Once it comes to him and he can just react, it’ll be like a hot knife through butter.”

Agree with Boyd, we will see if Ross can just react instead of thinking too much...
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty hard to accomplish anything not playing is all i am saying.

Not going to judge him his rookie year, he simply didn't have many opportunities.

He has a lot to work on mentally. I think once he gets the mental part of the game and just plays his game without thinking too much we will have a great weapon to put on the field with AJ, Boyd, Mixon and our TE's. We will see how he does under Taylor and Callahan instead of Marv, Zampese/Lazor.

Meh, if he doesn't perform this year who do we blame?  Dalton?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you talking about specifically a WR or just the third receiving option?

Below are the players since 2010 who have had about 400 yards or more and not been one of the top 2 on the team that year:
2010 - Shipley and Gresham both had 400+ yards
2011 - Gresham 596 yards
2012 - Hawkins 533 yards
2013 - Bernard, Gresham, Sanu, and Eifert all with 400+ yards
2014 - Gresham 460 yards
2015 - Eifert, Bernard, Sanu with 396+ yards
2016 - Boyd, Eifert with 394+ yards
2017 - Kroft 404 yards
2018 - Uzomah 439 yards

I think what we've seen for the past decade is that in place of a true WR3 like what Henry used to be, the Bengals have essentially made their TE into one of their top 3 receiving options. And because of that, they haven't depended as much on a true WR3 like they did in the mid-late 2000's. 

I was talking specifically about WR depth. I even said WR3 on down. LOL

I also mentioned Sanu. So outside of Sanu, we've had 2 other WR's that have experienced a 400+ yard season.

Not good. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with Boyd, we will see if Ross can just react instead of thinking too much...

That's probably one of the hardest things to do in sports. I guess experience helps. Knowing where to go. Confidence?

I don't know. It's hard.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 03:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's probably one of the hardest things to do in sports. I guess experience helps. Knowing where to go. Confidence?

I don't know. It's hard.

I think the OC can help him out here. Design a few plays playing to the guy's strengths and try to start building him up.

Off the top of my head I think I can count the amount of times they tried throwing him a screen pass on one hand. That just seems like a no brainer to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 06:14 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think the OC can help him out here. Design a few plays playing to the guy's strengths and try to start building him up.

Off the top of my head I think I can count the amount of times they tried throwing him a screen pass on one hand. That just seems like a no brainer to me.

I have no clue why they ran him deep like every play and threw him 50/50 balls.
Reply/Quote
Green and Boyd don't seem to have the issues Ross did with all the excuses. Dalton, the OC, Marvin, being new, etc. Aside from injuries, the same with Eifert. Don't care if he gets mauled be a tiger on the sidelines...if Ross delivers no production, then cut him.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 10:27 PM)Destro Wrote: Green and Boyd don't seem to have the issues Ross did with all the excuses. Dalton, the OC, Marvin, being new, etc. Aside from injuries, the same with Eifert. Don't care if he gets mauled be a tiger on the sidelines...if Ross delivers no production, then cut him.

Just stop. No team is going to cut a top 10 pick with his kind of potential who HAS shown he can be useful (7 TD in 13 games). It’s not like we have a bunch of studs at WR behind him either.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Just stop. No team is going to cut a top 10 pick with his kind of potential who HAS shown he can be useful (7 TD in 13 games). It’s not like we have a bunch of studs at WR behind him either.

The Bengals bench has been packed with stud WRs for years...well, according to us.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 02:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was talking specifically about WR depth. I even said WR3 on down. LOL

I also mentioned Sanu. So outside of Sanu, we've had 2 other WR's that have experienced a 400+ yard season.

Not good. 

Ok just wanted to make sure because some people say WR3 but really mean the 3rd receiving option.
I too think the depth isn't great, but Ross was drafted to be that true WR3. He didn't contribute as a rookie, and he was a great RZ threat last year but not much else. Hoping this year he blossoms.
With that said, the WR3 was the 4th or 5th option in the passing game for the past decade, as evidenced by a bigger emphasis on a receiving TE and also a pass catching RB. This makes it hard for a WR3 to contribute as much as we'd like and also makes the team invest less in the position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
its amazing how many wanted Ross traded out of Cincy or just cut
this season.
7 TDs is 7 TDs no matter how you want to slice it.
give him a chance with a OC that can actually attach his name
to a successful offense i.e the Rams.
Reply/Quote
Usain Bolt doesn't race jamokes on the side for kicks. Ross has proven his speed, he needs to prove himself as the number 9 overall pick. It's a relief that Ross isn't participating, not a point to be worried about.
[Image: HZgos1.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 09:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok just wanted to make sure because some people say WR3 but really mean the 3rd receiving option.
I too think the depth isn't great, but Ross was drafted to be that true WR3. He didn't contribute as a rookie, and he was a great RZ threat last year but not much else. Hoping this year he blossoms.
With that said, the WR3 was the 4th or 5th option in the passing game for the past decade, as evidenced by a bigger emphasis on a receiving TE and also a pass catching RB. This makes it hard for a WR3 to contribute as much as we'd like and also makes the team invest less in the position.

I am in the camp that doesn't use the number nine overall pick for wr3. You use the pick for a future # 1 wr. Unless he really excels this year I would label him as a bona-fide bust. 
Reply/Quote