Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Where is the Improvement with giving up Sacks
(12-09-2021, 09:54 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: He talks about Burrow taking 2 hitches.  Those 2 hitches were him trying to climb back up into the pocket as he was sensing the pressure coming from the back side.  The end needed to be pushed deeper.  If you notice the end got a great step and bend on Williams, thus gaining the leverage needed to cut down his trajectory.

Sometimes you have to give credit to the other guy also.  They are professionals, they get paid also.

Chase was open, and Burrow had time to throw. That’s really all I need to see watching that clip.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't know that stats will tell the entire story, but I can surely tell that this offensive line is much better than last year.

That being said, last years line was so bad that it's not even a big thing to say that. I've gotten blocked by a few people on twitter based on my stance that we still need 2 starting caliber linemen. We can't keep throwing projects (Carman) and late round picks (Adenji, Hopkins etc) at a problem area. Granted, Adneji and Hopkins have played well at times, but the reality is that this team is never going to get to championship level until we have a top 10-15 line.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 01:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote:   We can't keep throwing projects (Carman) and late round picks (Adenji, Hopkins etc) at a problem area. 

If we can not groom guys taken in the top half of the 2nd round into starters then we will NEVER be competitive.

Whitworth and Boling both struggled when they were forced to start as rookies.  We have to give these guys a chance to develop.
Reply/Quote
The good thing is there is rarely any holding or tripping calls on us. The bad thing is that the defense gets through.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 06:39 PM)J24 Wrote: The offensive Line is way better than last season but still as a long ways to go to being elite. The biggest problem they have is that their still learning to play together.

I dont see way better in pass blocking and stats show it overall, as for playing together this line as a whole has played alot together, last year was a revolving door of oline...  we are at the bottom part of league in pass blocking 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 05:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't seen such vigorous defense of mediocrity (at best) since the days of Marvin Lewis. I really don't get it. Even if you don't think the line is complete trash (I don't) you should at least be positioning yourself on the "we definitely need to be better" side.

As far as stats, different sites show different things.

Pro Football Reference advanced stats show the following:

Sacks- 2nd most
Attempt- 17th most
Pocket Time- 23rd most (which suggests he isn't hanging around all that much)
Pressures- 9th most
Blitzed- 18th most (which means teams are getting pressure with the guys up front)

ESPN's pass block win rate has us ranked 31st.

But I guess we can go on blaming Burrow and the RBs for everything. Apparently that narrative is really sticking. Probably because everyone is burned out talking about the line. Which I 100% get. LOL

Tbh, I think the hidden reason this debate is so intense is that we have different expectations for the line. Some will be content with an average line. I don't think everyone believes a top line to be necessary, and if that's the case, you probably think we're very close to achieving that.

Others want studs up front. A top shelf o-line. Looking at it that way, we're still pretty far off.

The line 100% needs to play better, but I think it is important to recognize that the healthy version of this line that we have seen in 2 of the last 3 weeks has looked better than the line we originally fielded this season. RG seems to finally be in decent hands, and Trey was finally looking like he was getting back to being at least okay. We finally get Adenjii back, and then two weeks later we lose Reiff and Hopkins. Granted we have been relatively healthy, so it was bound to happen. I think if this unit gets some time to gel over the remainder of the season, then we might see this line in a very different light come the offseason. But yes, it has looked ugly a lot of the time. I still think this is a marked improvement from last years line. As inconsistent, and at times just bad, as our line has been, I still think Burrow at times makes their jobs a little harder. Although, I would certainly say that overall the line has made his job harder than he has theirs.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 10:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase was open, and Burrow had time to throw. That’s really all I need to see watching that clip.

It's bad tape review by Jake Liscow.

If you watch closely you see the initial defense is cover 2 meaning Chase running the go route down the sideline is not your pre-snap read that would be the deep crosser. The Chargers safety rotates down vs the motion at the snap but Burrrow is already in the process of turning his head away from the Line. The linebacker drops into the initial throw window of the crosser not biting on play action and forces Burrow to double hitch. The defender gets under Jonah and makes a play on the QBs arm.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote