Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which 2021 draftee is most poised for a 2nd year breakout?
(05-20-2022, 09:34 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Oh, I think Mixon will have a huge year. I'm not disputing that, as long as he stays healthy like Vinyl mentioned. He just won't win MVP, that's ridiculous. If this was 1997, maybe. However, it's 2022 and RBs need a perfect storm in order to win MVP. Both Jonathon Taylor (2,171 yards, 20 TDs on 5.8 yards per touch) and Derrick Henry (2,141 yards, 17 TDs on 5.4 yards per touch) have had "huge" seasons recently and both guys received precisely zero consideration for MVP. I genuinely think Mixon would need to break the single season record for scrimmage yards (2,509 yards) and have 20+ TDs paired with a bad year for QBs. That just isn't going to happen. Burrow will win MVP before Mixon gets a single vote. 

I think you are right now. Gonna be tough for a running back to get MVP consideration. But I think Mixon is going to have a huge year
Reply/Quote
Ossai would be a good candidate but like others have said how many snaps will he see ? I've read a couple articles where the writers speak highly of Smith having a real shot at starting LG.

But I'm going to say Evans. I'd bet he'll start getting more 3rd and medium to long opportunities, especially in the passing game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I sure hope it's Carman, but likely Ossai.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 10:22 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ossai would be a good candidate but like others have said how many snaps will he see ? I've read a couple articles where the writers speak highly of Smith having a real shot at starting LG.

But I'm going to say Evans. I'd bet he'll start getting more 3rd and medium to long opportunities, especially in the passing game.

Having a better OL changes so much. They had to have Perine because he was the best at pass pro and the best short yardage guy. Perine is ridiculously strong. Evans is not any of that …. yet mind you. Like I said earlier I suspect he takes more of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon more of Perine’s to keep his touches the same. But as I alluded too Mixon if not restricted to blocking on third down is outstanding in the passing game. They’ve had to be so overly protective of Joe maybe now the OL picks up blitzes better and allows more third down flares and screens that arent scripted
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 10:45 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Having a better OL changes so much. They had to have Perine because he was the best at pass pro and the best short yardage guy. Perine is ridiculously strong. Evans is not any of that …. yet mind you. Like I said earlier I suspect he takes more of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon more of Perine’s to keep his touches the same. But as I alluded too Mixon if not restricted to blocking on third down is outstanding in the passing game. They’ve had to be so overly protective of Joe maybe now the OL picks up blitzes better and allows more third down flares and screens that arent scripted

Mixon has exceptionally great hands but is not a good pass blocker. IMO, the reason Perine ran the ball on 3rd & 1 in the SB instead of Mixon is that the D would had known it was a running play, but with Perine they would be thinking pass.

This season we need to get away from the easy tells such as Perine - most likely pass play, Stanley Morgan - most likely run play, as well as formation cues.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 11:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Mixon has exceptionally great hands but is not a good pass blocker. IMO, the reason Perine ran the ball on 3rd & 1 in the SB instead of Mixon is that the D would had known it was a running play, but with Perine they would be thinking pass.

This season we need to get away from the easy tells such as Perine - most likely pass play, Stanley Morgan - most likely run play, as well as formation cues.

I'm of the opinion that's one area this coaching staff has room for improvement. Hopefully reworked Oline will go a long way to solving those issues.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 11:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm of the opinion that's one area this coaching staff has room for improvement. Hopefully reworked Oline will go a long way to solving those issues.

Absolutely - we need players AND coaches to improve this season.

Reply/Quote
At this point Carman would be the obvious choice. Even if he did not look great as a rookie he still has the most potential to step in as a starter.

D'ante Smith could be huge even if he is just a better back up than last year. It is close to impossible to make it through a 17 game schedule without some injuries on the O-line.

Same with Sample and Ossai. D-line needs to play in rotation more than any other group. Even if there are no injuries the back ups often play a quarter to a third of the snaps. Depth on the D-line is crucial.

We already have two ProBowl/AllPro level players in Chase and McPherson. If we just get one more starter and a couple of key back ups that will be a grit draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 11:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Mixon has exceptionally great hands but is not a good pass blocker. IMO, the reason Perine ran the ball on 3rd & 1 in the SB instead of Mixon is that the D would had known it was a running play, but with Perine they would be thinking pass.

I agree but in my discussion with OP’s thread question about which 2021 draftee emerges Evans has been brought up. If Evans is going to emerge he’s going to have to take some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon all of Perine’s. Evans isn’t a tough enough inside runner or as tough blocking on third down.
Reply/Quote
This ts actually Ossai's ROOKIE year so he don't count.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 12:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I agree but in my discussion with OP’s thread question about which 2021 draftee emerges Evans has been brought up. If Evans is going to emerge he’s going to have to take some of Mixon’s snaps and Mixon all of Perine’s. Evans isn’t a tough enough inside runner or as tough blocking on third down.

Since we didnt draft a WR4 I can see Evans getting more play on passing downs outside of the backfield, he is a solid receiver.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 04:59 AM)pally Wrote: I’d like it to be Ossai or Carman. I think it will be Chris Evans

They'd be wise to start phasing in Chris Evans this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hubert, mark it down!
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 09:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: after his rookie year i want to know what a break out year for chase will be lol

Not sure how this post got a thumbs down, but anyway... That's the most exciting part of all of this. Ja'Marr Chase is still going to get better. He'll be damn near unfair come 2023.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Would not be surprised at all if it were Evans.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Ossai. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 05:05 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: Would not be surprised at all if it were Evans.

He was my second choice and with this OL he should have some nice holes for once.
Reply/Quote
If this offense can become a ball control offense with an improved OL Evans will be a major factor in the game plan going forward. I really think Burrow with more time will start to feast on defenses underneath the same way Brady does. Defenses being forced to double cover Chase and Tee over the top will allow Mixon and Evans to get more short passes. So ya I don't think saying Evans will be THE breakout candidate of the whole team is too absurd.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 05:28 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If this offense can become a ball control offense with an improved OL Evans will be a major factor in the game plan going forward.  I really think Burrow with more time will start to feast on defenses underneath the same way Brady does.  Defenses being forced to double cover Chase and Tee over the top will allow Mixon and Evans to get more short passes.  So ya I don't think saying Evans will be THE breakout candidate of the whole team is too absurd.

I also think that Hayden Hurst should have his best career here this season cause of what you say here BTG.

But that wasn't the OP's question so I went with my main man Ossai.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I also think that Hayden Hurst should have his best career here this season cause of what you say here BTG.

But that wasn't the OP's question so I went with my main man Ossai.

100% agree Ossai should have the most noticeable impact for casual fans.  I hope Carman becomes a solid starter for us but I really don't see him having a 'breakout' season.  

Also, I'm the OP so I guess I broke my own thread's rules   Hilarious

Cigar
Reply/Quote