Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Bengals Could Start on a Top Tier Team?
Okay, Bengaldom, let’s be brutally and painfully honest. Which Bengals would be immediate starters on the current teams who would make the playoffs? Put yourself in Bill Belichick’s shoes or Sean Payton’s shoes — or the shoes of any coaches of the current playoff teams — and lets perform a thought experiment. Which Bengal players are better than these teams’ current starters?

This thought experiment will identify the true weaknesses on the Cincinnati roster.

My personal list is very short.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 12:54 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, Bengaldom, let’s be brutally and painfully honest.  Which Bengals would be immediate starters on the current teams who would make the playoffs?  Put yourself in Bill Belichick’s shoes or Sean Payton’s shoes — or the shoes of any coaches of the current playoff teams — and lets perform a thought experiment.  Which Bengal players are better than these teams’ current starters?

This thought experiment will identify the true weaknesses on the Cincinnati roster.

That's what she said.

As to the OP:

AJ Green

Geno Atkins

Joe Mixon

Tyler Boyd

Carlos Dunlap
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 12:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: That's what she said.

As to the OP:

AJ Green

Geno Atkins

Joe Mixon

Tyler Boyd

Carlos Dunlap

I agree. Maybe Bates.

Top teams aren't filled with all star players. A guy like Williams Jackson would be a decent starter on a good team...especially on a rookie contract. Boling might be a starter on a good team. Lawson would get snaps. Glasgow would be a solid role player.
Reply/Quote
Lawson, Dunlap, Atkins, Jackson, Bates, Mixon, Green, Boyd, and Eifert.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:03 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Lawson, Dunlap, Atkins, Jackson, Bates, Mixon, Green, Boyd, and Eifert.

Eifert? He's played in 43 of 96 possible career regular season games.

Teams that have playoff aspirations stay away from guys like the plague that have played less than half of their games over their career.
Reply/Quote
I would add Clint Boling and maybe Sam Hubbard. It might be a little soon for him but I think he should be starting for us now.
Reply/Quote
Hubbard has a knack for big plays. When he cleans up the other aspects of his game, he could be a good player.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eifert? He's played in 43 of 96 possible career regular season games.

Teams that have playoff aspirations stay away from guys like the plague that have played less than half of their games over their career.

When healthy he is an elite player. Probably would want a top backup but his upside is worth it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

As to the OP:

AJ Green

Geno Atkins

Joe Mixon

Tyler Boyd

Carlos Dunlap

Pretty much my short list as well.

I would add Erickson for special teams, at least for a few of those playoff teams.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

As to the OP:

AJ Green

Geno Atkins

Joe Mixon

Tyler Boyd

Carlos Dunlap

This list seems pretty good. I think I would actually add Giovani Bernard (I thoroughly expect some to disagree). Bill would love his pass blocking/blitz pickup, pass catching, and ball security, and I have said for years that I think Giovani Bernard on the Saints, Sean Payton, and Brees would be a Pro Bowler. Think Darren Sproles but with more blocking and better running between the tackles (but not as good of a returner).

Granted, his ability to start on the Saints ended with Alvin Kamara showing up, but I think he could still be the starter for the Patriots.

- - - - -
Also a big 'ol "maaaayyybe" for William Jackson.

He looked so impressive last year at times that I wonder if it's scheme or what this year.

I do question his ball skills, though. So possibly not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:50 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Pretty much my short list as well.

I would add Erickson for special teams, at least for a few of those playoff teams.

The question really has no "right" answer. For instance would Gio Bernard start for New England? Would Tyler Kroft start for Pitt? Would Shawn Williams start for LAR? Fat Randy is better than a few of the kickers....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:56 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The question really has no "right" answer. For instance would Gio Bernard start for New England? Would Tyler Kroft start for Pitt? Would Shawn Williams start for LAR? Fat Randy is better than a few of the kickers....

A few.  A league average kicker should be able to make a 50 yarder.  Randy can't be trusted for that sort of thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:55 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This list seems pretty good. I think I would actually add Giovani Bernard (I thoroughly expect some to disagree). Bill would love his pass blocking/blitz pickup, pass catching, and ball security, and I have said for years that I think Giovani Bernard on the Saints, Sean Payton, and Brees would be a Pro Bowler. Think Darren Sproles but with more blocking and better running between the tackles (but not as good of a returner).

Granted, his ability to start on the Saints ended with Alvin Kamara showing up, but I think he could still be the starter for the Patriots.

- - - - -
Also a big 'ol "maaaayyybe" for William Jackson.

He looked so impressive last year at times that I wonder if it's scheme or what this year.

I do question his ball skills, though. So possibly not.

Yeah, Gio is a true Kevin Faulk kind of player.  I think he'll be useful for a long time.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 12:54 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, Bengaldom, let’s be brutally and painfully honest.  Which Bengals would be immediate starters on the current teams who would make the playoffs?  Put yourself in Bill Belichick’s shoes or Sean Payton’s shoes — or the shoes of any coaches of the current playoff teams — and lets perform a thought experiment.  Which Bengal players are better than these teams’ current starters?

I'm assuming by Top Tier team you don't mean teams that are hoping to somehow back into the playoffs as a 6th play off seed, but those who are actually "top tier". I'm also assuming you mean all Bengals players including those on IR.

QBs - None of them would start on a top tier team unless the starter were injured.

RBs - Mixon would start on a number of teams, but he might have to share time. Bernard would be a pure situational player, not a starter on any of them unless there were injuries and it would have to be a team like NE or NO who know how to use a little RB.

TEs - Eifert would start on a number of top tier teams, only we all know he'll break. None of the rest would sniff a starting job and might not even have a back up role.

WRs - AJ Green would start anywhere. Boyd would get playing time on a number of top tier teams. Ross would not be a starter on any of the top tier teams unless he miraculously improved on being a consistently good player.

OT - Glenn might have a role as a backup, but not at his salary. The rest of our OTs are free agents after this year and I believe we are all hoping they are all replaced, so none of them would start on a top tier team and likely most of them (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Hart and Smith) won't even have a backup job anywhere next season.

OG - Boling would start in a few places. Westerman might actually start at LG somewhere, we just don't let him do it here for some reason. He's played solid when given the opportunity.

OC - Would not start at this point in time. 

DT - Atkin would start almost anywhere. The rest no.

DE - Dunlap might get a starting gig. Hubbard would have a role, but I don't see him as a starter yet, next year yes. None of the rest would get a starting job.

LBs - None would start on a top tier team. Burfict is all used up from what I can tell.

CB - Jackson would start in several places. Kirkpatrick and Dennard would certainly have playing time on the right contract and team.

S - Bates could start on a number of top tier teams. He'd be an upgrade. Williams no.

P - Yes

K - Yes

Returner - Erickson could be a returner on several top tier teams.

Marvin Lewis - Would not be considered for the HC job of any of the top tier teams.

Lazor - would not be considered for the OC job on any of the top tier teams.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:12 AM)samhain Wrote: A few.  A league average kicker should be able to make a 50 yarder.  Randy can't be trusted for that sort of thing.

The Steelers would sign him yesterday if he were available

Clark Lewis Harris is the best long snapper in the league.

Clayton Fedjalem would be signed to play the exact role he plays for us

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
A healthy Burfict would start basically anywhere.

He'll be a two down, heat seeking missile.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:52 AM)pally Wrote: The Steelers would sign him yesterday if he were available

Clark Lewis Harris is the best long snapper in the league.

Clayton Fedjalem would be signed to play the exact role he plays for us

I do not disagree.  Boswell is Chuck Knoblauch right now.  I will take great joy in watching him cost them a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 03:26 AM)samhain Wrote: I do not disagree.  Boswell is Chuck Knoblauch right now.  I will take great joy in watching him cost them a playoff game.

Let’s hope they don’t even get in.

Reply/Quote
I guess this whole thing has gone around the bend for me. I can only take so much of being beaten over the had with how bad we suck, with each thread trying to top all the rest for just how depressing our situation is. Might be a good time for me to step away for awhile. I can only wallow in the muck for so long before it's time to say uncle.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote:  Westerman might actually start at LG somewhere, we just don't let him do it here for some reason. He's played solid when given the opportunity.

Don't forget Audin Tate.
Hilarious
Reply/Quote