Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Bengals Could Start on a Top Tier Team?
(12-17-2018, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote:  
Don't forget Audin Tate.
Hilarious

I didn't forget him, I left him off purposefully. Just like I left off Andy Dalton.  LMAO
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Like others have said a lot depends on which team you're talking about:

AJ Green would start for every team.

Geno would be a starter on a big bunch of teams.

I'm not so sure Carlos would start on every team, he'd get snaps for sure.

Mixon would start on a ton of teams.

Boyd would start on most teams.

Bates and WJII would probably crack several starting rosters.
Reply/Quote
Malik Jefferson.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm assuming by Top Tier team you don't mean teams that are hoping to somehow back into the playoffs as a 6th play off seed, but those who are actually "top tier". I'm also assuming you mean all Bengals players including those on IR.

QBs - None of them would start on a top tier team unless the starter were injured.

RBs - Mixon would start on a number of teams, but he might have to share time. Bernard would be a pure situational player, not a starter on any of them unless there were injuries and it would have to be a team like NE or NO who know how to use a little RB.

TEs - Eifert would start on a number of top tier teams, only we all know he'll break. None of the rest would sniff a starting job and might not even have a back up role.

WRs - AJ Green would start anywhere. Boyd would get playing time on a number of top tier teams. Ross would not be a starter on any of the top tier teams unless he miraculously improved on being a consistently good player.

OT - Glenn might have a role as a backup, but not at his salary. The rest of our OTs are free agents after this year and I believe we are all hoping they are all replaced, so none of them would start on a top tier team and likely most of them (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Hart and Smith) won't even have a backup job anywhere next season.

OG - Boling would start in a few places. Westerman might actually start at LG somewhere, we just don't let him do it here for some reason. He's played solid when given the opportunity.

OC - Would not start at this point in time. 

DT - Atkin would start almost anywhere. The rest no.

DE - Dunlap might get a starting gig. Hubbard would have a role, but I don't see him as a starter yet, next year yes. None of the rest would get a starting job.

LBs - None would start on a top tier team. Burfict is all used up from what I can tell.

CB - Jackson would start in several places. Kirkpatrick and Dennard would certainly have playing time on the right contract and team.

S - Bates could start on a number of top tier teams. He'd be an upgrade. Williams no.

P - Yes

K - Yes

Returner - Erickson could be a returner on several top tier teams.

Marvin Lewis - Would not be considered for the HC job of any of the top tier teams.

Lazor - would not be considered for the OC job on any of the top tier teams.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I think this would be my list....although I would add Lawson most likely.  I think Boyd could start on a couple of them too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Shawn Williams takes a lot of heat but he's actually a solid starting safety.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Green, Atkins, Mixon, Eifert (if healthy), WJIII, Boyd, Dunlap. I want to put Burfict on the list but there's no telling if he'll ever actually be good again. We have some young guys that look like they might be able to make that list too, but either they're not consistent enough yet warrant it or just aren't good enough yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eifert? He's played in 43 of 96 possible career regular season games.

Teams that have playoff aspirations stay away from guys like the plague that have played less than half of their games over their career.

If he's not injured he starts on every team.

Gronk and Olsen are great TEs who have a significant history of injuries.  His last injury was not because he was injury prone.   Any other TE in that situation would have been out for the year.

His receiving skills are out of this world, and his blocking had really improved this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 05:16 PM)3wt Wrote: If he's not injured he starts on every team.

Gronk and Olsen are great TEs who have a significant history of injuries.  His last injury was not because he was injury prone.   Any other TE in that situation would have been out for the year.

His receiving skills are out of this world, and his blocking had really improved this year.

Gronk looks pretty close to being done to me.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 02:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm assuming by Top Tier team you don't mean teams that are hoping to somehow back into the playoffs as a 6th play off seed, but those who are actually "top tier". I'm also assuming you mean all Bengals players including those on IR.

QBs - None of them would start on a top tier team unless the starter were injured.

RBs - Mixon would start on a number of teams, but he might have to share time. Bernard would be a pure situational player, not a starter on any of them unless there were injuries and it would have to be a team like NE or NO who know how to use a little RB.

TEs - Eifert would start on a number of top tier teams, only we all know he'll break. None of the rest would sniff a starting job and might not even have a back up role.

WRs - AJ Green would start anywhere. Boyd would get playing time on a number of top tier teams. Ross would not be a starter on any of the top tier teams unless he miraculously improved on being a consistently good player.

OT - Glenn might have a role as a backup, but not at his salary. The rest of our OTs are free agents after this year and I believe we are all hoping they are all replaced, so none of them would start on a top tier team and likely most of them (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Hart and Smith) won't even have a backup job anywhere next season.

OG - Boling would start in a few places. Westerman might actually start at LG somewhere, we just don't let him do it here for some reason. He's played solid when given the opportunity.

OC - Would not start at this point in time. 

DT - Atkin would start almost anywhere. The rest no.

DE - Dunlap might get a starting gig. Hubbard would have a role, but I don't see him as a starter yet, next year yes. None of the rest would get a starting job.

LBs - None would start on a top tier team. Burfict is all used up from what I can tell.

CB - Jackson would start in several places. Kirkpatrick and Dennard would certainly have playing time on the right contract and team.

S - Bates could start on a number of top tier teams. He'd be an upgrade. Williams no.

P - Yes

K - Yes

Returner - Erickson could be a returner on several top tier teams.

Marvin Lewis - Would not be considered for the HC job of any of the top tier teams.

Lazor - would not be considered for the OC job on any of the top tier teams.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I agree with most of this.  I will say that based purely on merit, Andy would start in Baltimore and probably in Dallas and Chicago.  Jared Goff has completely fallen off a cliff, but we have to see if he can right himself.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:55 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This list seems pretty good. I think I would actually add Giovani Bernard (I thoroughly expect some to disagree). Bill would love his pass blocking/blitz pickup, pass catching, and ball security, and I have said for years that I think Giovani Bernard on the Saints, Sean Payton, and Brees would be a Pro Bowler. Think Darren Sproles but with more blocking and better running between the tackles (but not as good of a returner).

Granted, his ability to start on the Saints ended with Alvin Kamara showing up, but I think he could still be the starter for the Patriots.

- - - - -
Also a big 'ol "maaaayyybe" for William Jackson.

He looked so impressive last year at times that I wonder if it's scheme or what this year.

I do question his ball skills, though. So possibly not.

BB would take gio get a 200+ total yardage game out of him then cut him.
He loves guys with good skill set he just doesn’t seem to ride them game in and game out.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 01:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eifert? He's played in 43 of 96 possible career regular season games.

Teams that have playoff aspirations stay away from guys like the plague that have played less than half of their games over their career.

Bob says "Hi".

[Image: th?id=OIP.GpzJcPeLhnKd4NCHxTiDhAHaFj&pid...=242&h=182]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Atkins, Mixon, Dunlap, Green, Erickson, Boyd are sure bets.

Gio would be top of the list of rotational players

As much as I'm not a fan of them Drek, Williams, and MJ would probably see some play time on other teams.

WJ III, Hubbard, Boling, Glenn... perhaps.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 09:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Bob says "Hi".

[Image: th?id=OIP.GpzJcPeLhnKd4NCHxTiDhAHaFj&pid...=242&h=182]

Eifert: 43 games played in 6 years, 1x Pro Bowl
Sanders: 47 games played in 6 years, 2x Pro Bowls, 2x All-Pros, 1x DPOY

Eifert is more fragile than Bob Sanders.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eifert: 43 games played in 6 years, 1x Pro Bowl
Sanders: 47 games played in 6 years, 2x Pro Bowls, 2x All-Pros, 1x DPOY

Eifert is more fragile than Bob Sanders.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4747594]
Reply/Quote
All of y'all are missing the trick to the question.

The correct answer is, ALL of them.

Because a top tier team has great management and coaching, which would put all of our players in the right position to make a play, at the right time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 09:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: I agree with most of this.  I will say that based purely on merit, Andy would start in Baltimore and probably in Dallas and Chicago.  Jared Goff has completely fallen off a cliff, but we have to see if he can right himself.

Baltimore is not a top tier team thou. Dalton could start for Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville, Washington, San Fran and obviously the Bengals and some others I'm not thinking about right now.

Chicago is very happy with Trubisky, he went 20 of 28 for 232, 2 TDs and 0 INTs against the Packers on Sunday and they are 10-4 and he has a higher completion percentage and passer rating than Dalton did this year.

No one is going to bench Goff, they are 11-3. They've lost to the 11-2 Saints, the 10-4 Bears and last year's SB champions.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 07:46 AM)McC Wrote: I guess this whole thing has gone around the bend for me.  I can only take so much of being beaten over the  had with how bad we suck, with each thread trying to top all the rest for just how depressing our situation is.  Might be a good time for me to step away for awhile.  I can only wallow in the muck for so long before it's time to say uncle.

Had to take some time away myself. 

Seems some bask in it. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 11:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Baltimore is not a top tier team thou. Dalton could start for Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville, Washington, San Fran and obviously the Bengals and some others I'm not thinking about right now.

Chicago is very happy with Trubisky, he went 20 of 28 for 232, 2 TDs and 0 INTs against the Packers on Sunday and they are 10-4 and he has a higher completion percentage and passer rating than Dalton did this year.

No one is going to bench Goff, they are 11-3. They've lost to the 11-2 Saints, the 10-4 Bears and last year's SB champions.

The question is which Bengals could start for playoff teams, which Baltimore currently is.

Trubisky is more of a game manager.  He only has 14 more attempts than Dalton despite all the time Dalton has missed.  He's not being asked to carry that offense the way Andy was.  Not saying he's crap, but if you put them in an objective head to head competition for the starting job, Dalton would likely beat him out.

Goff has an abysmal 51.3 QBR the last three weeks, with 1 TD and 7 picks.  He is a big reason why the Rams may not even get a 1st round bye now.  Now, he should get the chance to right the ship, but a lot of times young QB's come out strong until DC's figure out their weaknesses and tendencies.  Then, they fall to earth.  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 11:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: The question is which Bengals could start for playoff teams, which Baltimore currently is.

Trubisky is more of a game manager.  He only has 14 more attempts than Dalton despite all the time Dalton has missed.  He's not being asked to carry that offense the way Andy was.  Not saying he's crap, but if you put them in an objective head to head competition for the starting job, Dalton would likely beat him out.

Goff has an abysmal 51.3 QBR the last three weeks, with 1 TD and 7 picks.  He is a big reason why the Rams may not even get a 1st round bye now.  Now, he should get the chance to right the ship, but a lot of times young QB's come out strong until DC's figure out their weaknesses and tendencies.  Then, they fall to earth.  

The title of the thread is top tier. That's what I went with.

AH, yeah, I can see LA and Chicago trying to trade for Dalton tomorrow. Not.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2018, 05:16 PM)3wt Wrote: If he's not injured he starts on every team.

Once again he's played in 43 of 96 potential games.

The 'if he's not injured' portion...can no longer be used on him.

He's played in over 8 games exactly TWICE in 6 years.
Reply/Quote