Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which GoPro?
I go fishing a lot and I mean A LOT, daily fishing either in the lake in my back yard, down at the Ohio, Miami, Whitewater rivers, ponds and lakes at friends and families properties all over the tristate area to pay lakes like Isabella, Julienne and Folz Twin lakes.

I would love to start recording and uploading my fishing adventures to YouTube but 1.5 to 2 hours of battery life just isn't enough time since I'll spend hours and hours fishing.

Example, Lake Isabella Cost $12.50 for adults to fish for 12 hours and we spend all twelve hours out there when we go, lol.

Do these things come with extra batteries?
Will I have to buy two GoPros and when one dies, pull out the other and charge the one that died?
Anyone with experience can give advice?

Much appreciation for all info
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2020, 12:39 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I go fishing a lot and I mean A LOT, daily fishing either in the lake in my back yard, down at the Ohio, Miami, Whitewater rivers, ponds and lakes at friends and families properties all over the tristate area to pay lakes like Isabella, Julienne and Folz Twin lakes.

I would love to start recording and uploading my fishing adventures to YouTube but 1.5 to 2 hours of battery life just isn't enough time since I'll spend hours and hours fishing.

Example, Lake Isabella Cost $12.50 for adults to fish for 12 hours and we spend all twelve hours out there when we go, lol.

Do these things come with extra batteries?
Will I have to buy two GoPros and when one dies, pull out the other and charge the one that died?
Anyone with experience can give advice?

Much appreciation for all info
You want the GoPro Hero7 Black (BLACK, NOT WHITE. You can't switch batteries in the White). The battery is supposed to last 2h 30m. Plus its water proof. It can go underwater as far as 10m/33ft. Not that you'll be seeing yourself underwater that much lol.

You can buy additional batteries from $10-$20 each. You may end up spending $60-$120 on additional rechargeable batteries, but if you're out for 12 hour fishing trips, this is what you gotta do.

Getting longer battery life is not free. Keeping your battery running for it's intended expectancy depends on the age of the battery, your settings and of course weather conditions. You can see your battery die in half the time it's supposed to because of these reasons...

I copied the following from a website for ways to make your battery last longer. I hope this was all helpful. Good luck!

1. Turn it on only when you are shooting (Quick Capture)
  2. Use the Auto OFF feature
  3. Avoid keeping your GoPro in cold places
  4. Turn OFF voice control
  5. Turn OFF WiFi (just record and upload to YouTube later. Not important anyway imo)
  6. Turn OFF GPS (Is this even important?)
  7. Turn OFF the LCD display
  8. Turn OFF Protune
  9. Don’t use a remote
  10. Film in 1080p 30fps (4K 60 fps is an option with this GoPro, but it simply drains battery quicker)
  11. Fully charge your battery using a wall charger (I can vouch for this. But charging it in your car will work too obviously. Just not as fast.)
  12. Keep your GoPro firmware up to date.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Takedown's got the right idea.

I captured about 30-40 minutes on a single charge (and no problem) on my GPH Session 5, in Cabo San Lucas last year (about half of the capture was after it fell off my head as I was reeling in a Yellowfin Tuna).

The Session is fine for me, as I only need to capture the strike and subsequent reeling in; if you do that, you won't need 12 hours and the session literally turns on and starts recording, by pressing the "On," button, on top of the device.

You just need to remember that you have it there Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote