Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which NFL franchises never to have won Super Bowl are closest to title breakthrough?
(02-01-2018, 06:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: That franchise now is the ravens though.

do the new browns get all their accolades because the name stayed the same? or do they stay with the franchise?

They stayed with the name. So technically that playoff win belongs to the Browns. And it's more recent than our last PO win.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Eagles obviously have best chance.

The Bengals should not be very high on list but should certainly be ranked above Browns I would think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I bet the Eagles and Jaguars were not high on that list after 2016 since they were the worst teams in their divisons....I wonder if that last ranked schedule helped in their turnaround.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Interesting article and thought it would provide good discussion.

Bengals come in at 12 out of 13, just behind the Bills.
Jacksonville and Minnesota. First I would have to state my never ending argument that before Super Bowl the NFL Championship was last game of season and those decades count as winning it all in NFL and it was not the NFC, it was the NFL.  In 1970 the AFL teams became NFL so the so called Super Bowl is really the NFL Championship.  Only 2 teams from AFL won over NFL, 1968 NY Jets and 1969 KC Chiefs.  So this changes my list of teams to never have won it all at end of season.  Minnesota, Arizona because Cardinals never won in Arizona, Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, San Diego or LA Chargers never won NFL, Jacksonville, Houston of Oilers or Texans, Tennessee.  So that is 9 teams that have never been able to claim they won it all against NFL at end of season.  It is unfair to throw out all NFL before 1966.  Of these 9 teams the 2 that came closest in 2017 season were Jacksonville and Minnesota.  Of these 9 teams the team with the worst record in 2017 was Cincinnati and 2016 record was even worse. Jacksonville and Minnesota finished the closest and look to be teams on the rise, but the crazy thing about the NFL is next season both teams could go backwards. Cincinnati as the worst could rise fast if they fix their huge blocking problem and some of their early round picks last few years step up and play like top picks should.  So I say GO BENGALS and they have as much chance to win it all as the rest of these 9 teams never to have won last game of year in NFL triumph.  So GO BENGALS in 2018. Fix the blocking, add to the defense, and get Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap to the Super Bowl because with some help, these team leaders could win it all.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:24 PM)kevin Wrote: Jacksonville and Minnesota. First I would have to state my never ending argument that before Super Bowl the NFL Championship was last game of season and those decades count as winning it all in NFL and it was not the NFC, it was the NFL.  In 1970 the AFL teams became NFL so the so called Super Bowl is really the NFL Championship.  Only 2 teams from AFL won over NFL, 1968 NY Jets and 1969 KC Chiefs.  So this changes my list of teams to never have won it all at end of season.  Minnesota, Arizona because Cardinals never won in Arizona, Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, San Diego or LA Chargers never won NFL, Jacksonville, Houston of Oilers or Texans, Tennessee.  So that is 9 teams that have never been able to claim they won it all against NFL at end of season.  It is unfair to throw out all NFL before 1966.  Of these 9 teams the 2 that came closest in 2017 season were Jacksonville and Minnesota.  Of these 9 teams the team with the worst record in 2017 was Cincinnati and 2016 record was even worse. Jacksonville and Minnesota finished the closest and look to be teams on the rise, but the crazy thing about the NFL is next season both teams could go backwards. Cincinnati as the worst could rise fast if they fix their huge blocking problem and some of their early round picks last few years step up and play like top picks should.  So I say GO BENGALS and they have as much chance to win it all as the rest of these 9 teams never to have won last game of year in NFL triumph.  So GO BENGALS in 2018. Fix the blocking, add to the defense, and get Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap to the Super Bowl because with some help, these team leaders could win it all.

There were 3 or 4 Super Bowls before the merger......and that franchise in Arizona is the same one that was in Chicago.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If I wasn't so unlucky gambling........I'd bet my house Mike Clown never wins a Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:24 PM)kevin Wrote: Jacksonville and Minnesota. First I would have to state my never ending argument that before Super Bowl the NFL Championship was last game of season and those decades count as winning it all in NFL and it was not the NFC, it was the NFL. 

In 1970 the AFL teams became NFL so the so called Super Bowl is really the NFL Championship.  Only 2 teams from AFL won over NFL, 1968 NY Jets and 1969 KC Chiefs.  So this changes my list of teams to never have won it all at end of season.  Minnesota, Arizona because Cardinals never won in Arizona, Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, San Diego or LA Chargers never won NFL, Jacksonville, Houston of Oilers or Texans, Tennessee. 

So that is 9 teams that have never been able to claim they won it all against NFL at end of season.  It is unfair to throw out all NFL before 1966.  Of these 9 teams the 2 that came closest in 2017 season were Jacksonville and Minnesota.  Of these 9 teams the team with the worst record in 2017 was Cincinnati and 2016 record was even worse.

Jacksonville and Minnesota finished the closest and look to be teams on the rise, but the crazy thing about the NFL is next season both teams could go backwards. Cincinnati as the worst could rise fast if they fix their huge blocking problem and some of their early round picks last few years step up and play like top picks should. 

So I say GO BENGALS and they have as much chance to win it all as the rest of these 9 teams never to have won last game of year in NFL triumph.

So GO BENGALS in 2018. Fix the blocking, add to the defense, and get Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap to the Super Bowl because with some help, these team leaders could win it all.

Yes

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That's fair. The Marvin Lewis handicap is something that cannot be ignored... Otherwise, we could/should be higher on that list.

I agree, 0-7 in the playoffs speaks for itself, the worst postseason record of all time by a HC.

We can win in the regular season but not in the playoffs. Have to win in the playoffs to get to the SB.

This team will have to carry Marv if we have any chance. Hell, maybe we do with Pollack as our new OLC and our O-line muchly
improved in run blocking. Could actually happen, i really like our backs and Pollack is a very good O-line coach.

This was a major upgrade to this team.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Eagles obviously have best chance.

The Bengals should not be very high on list but should certainly be ranked above Browns I would think.

Yeah, Eagles have the best chance, kinda goes without saying though.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't know what you all are smoking...

but the browns cant even win a game

its nice to bash the team and all... but be somewhat realistic about it.

See below

(02-01-2018, 05:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: If they hit a homerun at QB in the draft, or get a good one in FA, look out.  They've got the cap space to make some moves, with Dorsey at GM, the next few years (what they set up for when they dumped everyone) could get interesting.

Meanwhile, we've got the 0-fer clan running things here.  Had there been actual change in Cincinnati this offseason, my outlook wouldn't be so grim.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 08:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: If I wasn't so unlucky gambling........I'd bet my house Mike Clown never wins a Super Bowl.

He certainly doesn't deserve one. 

Sucks we all have to suffer on behalf of Mike Brown Whatever
Reply/Quote
If the Browns sign Cousins and draft some talent with their 1st and 4th picks, they could win a Super Bowl in a few years. They are on the upside while the Bengals are on the downside. Sometimes it has to get ugly to see the beauty.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Lol at the suggestion the Browns are closer than the Bengals. That organization is an absolute dumpster fire. The Bengals are 2 years removed from a 12-4 season. We fix the Oline we’re right back in the mix. They have to find a franchise QB, which they haven’t been able to do in decades.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol at the suggestion the Browns are closer than the Bengals. That organization is an absolute dumpster fire. The Bengals are 2 years removed from a 12-4 season. We fix the Oline we’re right back in the mix. They have to find a franchise QB, which they haven’t been able to do in decades.

The Browns have a ton of cap space, a pile of high picks, and a quality GM.  The Browns also have a good o line, two decent backs, a stud WR, and pass catching TE.  The front 4 on the defense is stout, plus they have some talent at LB and S.  You are basing your opinion off the past.  With a QB the Browns are 6-7 wins better next year.  
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 01:01 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Browns have a ton of cap space, a pile of high picks, and a quality GM.  The Browns also have a good o line, two decent backs, a stud WR, and pass catching TE.  The front 4 on the defense is stout, plus they have some talent at LB and S.  You are basing your opinion off the past.  With a QB the Browns are 6-7 wins better next year.  

Sorry but I don’t trust a team that passes on Watson to trade down for Jabrill Peppers when they don’t have a QB. That wasn’t ancient history, it was just last year. They also thought AJ McCarron was the answer...

Bengals are FAR closer than the Browns. Fix the Oline (which they’ve already started by firing Alexander) and they could be back to double digit wins.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 01:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sorry but I don’t trust a team that passes on Watson to trade down for Jabrill Peppers when they don’t have a QB. That wasn’t ancient history, it was just last year. They also thought AJ McCarron was the answer...

Bengals are FAR closer than the Browns. Fix the Oline (which they’ve already started by firing Alexander) and they could be back to double digit wins.

The Browns probably don't exactly ooze QB confidence .
I'm guessing that  the least uttered phrases by up and coming college QBs would have to be " HOT DAMN! I sure as hell hope I get drafted by the Browns!" and "I'll be standing in  the footsteps of Johnny Football!" 
These are phrases that nobody ever hears.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 01:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sorry but I don’t trust a team that passes on Watson to trade down for Jabrill Peppers when they don’t have a QB. That wasn’t ancient history, it was just last year. They also thought AJ McCarron was the answer...

That was also the former GM.  

The Bengals will never win as long as Mike Brown is in charge.  The team will always have a fatal flaw that he will not address with FA because he needs to pocket some of that rollover coin.  We have 27 years of failure to go by.....at least the Stains made changes, and their future is unknown.  

Sure, the Bengals may make the playoffs again before the Browns, but as long as Merv strolls those sidelines, it's all for naught.

Sorry, but having 0-15 and 0-27 leading the way doesn't exactly instill confidence in anyone paying attention either.  That's both ancient AND recent history.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 10:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s Hue Jackson’s playoff record again??

And the Bengals have also made changes recently. Fired Zampese mid-season, replaced Paul Alexander, etc

Until the Browns find a franchise QB this is a silly debate.

Same as Merv's? Tongue

Here's the thing.....there are some good FA QBs coming up that could at least stop gap.  Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford are the top of the list.  I'm not sure about Brissett or Foles....there's two more potential stop gap QBs.  They may draft a homerun there too, time will tell.  I'm not pretending they're Super Bowl contenders in the next year....but with the cap space they have, a new direction in the FO, new coaches of their own, and the right moves, they could be contenders in a couple years.  They could be competitive as early as next season.  They have some good pieces, and the team never quit on Hue.  We'll see.

I have no faith in Marv and Mike......regardless of new position coaches and a couple of meh coordinators.  I do concede that the removal of Alexander was a HUGE positive move....ten years too late, but a good move nonetheless, and Zampese was a great example of poor decision making on their part.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 11:51 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Same as Merv's? Tongue

Here's the thing.....there are some good FA QBs coming up that could at least stop gap.  Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum, Bradford are the top of the list.  I'm not sure about Brissett or Foles....there's two more potential stop gap QBs.  They may draft a homerun there too, time will tell.  I'm not pretending they're Super Bowl contenders in the next year....but with the cap space they have, a new direction in the FO, new coaches of their own, and the right moves, they could be contenders in a couple years.  They could be competitive as early as next season.  They have some good pieces, and the team never quit on Hue.  We'll see.

I have no faith in Marv and Mike......regardless of new position coaches and a couple of meh coordinators.  I do concede that the removal of Alexander was a HUGE positive move....ten years too late, but a good move nonetheless, and Zampese was a great example of poor decision making on their part.

We’ll have to just agree to disagree, Wyche. I actually deleted my post cause honestly arguing over who is worse between these two terrible franchises is like the South Park episode with the giant douche vs the turd sandwich lol

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 12:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ll have to just agree to disagree, Wyche. I actually deleted my post cause honestly arguing over who is worse between these two terrible franchises is like the South Park episode with the giant douche vs the turd sandwich lol

LMAO. :andy:  

No problem disagreeing my good man.  I'm just jaded I guess because I remember the last days of Paul Brown's 80s squads.  We were an up and comer.....innovative and made good trades before FA.  I can only hope the Katie regime makes the necessary adjustments when her time comes.  I've been around too long to let Son of Paul run me off, I just don't have any faith in him.  Stranger things have happened though.....maybe they catch that lightning in a bottle soon.  I thought it was 2015, but.....

It's tough.  Even when things look good, we get snake bit.  Greg Cook, Krumrie, Stanley Wilson, and Boomer's bum shoulder in 88, Carson's knee, Andy's thumb, the fumble, the PFs.....shit makes you wonder.

Reply/Quote