Poll: Which QB's career will Joe Burrow's resemble closest?
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Andrew Luck
Drew Brees
Big Ben
Steve Young
Boomer Esiason
Akili Smith
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which QB will Joe Burrow's career resemble?
(11-02-2020, 08:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oof

Drew Brees never reached his full potential with his first team and it wasn't until he left and went to a better team that he became a future first ballot HoF QB that won a SB.

Yeah I don’t like that one lol

If I had to pick I’d say Manning or Rodgers. Top QB who can win you a Super Bowl, but I don’t see a Tom Brady/Pats type dynasty in Cincinnati no matter how good Burrow becomes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah I don’t like that one lol

If I had to pick I’d say Manning or Rodgers. Top QB who can win you a Super Bowl, but I don’t see a Tom Brady/Pats type dynasty in Cincinnati no matter how good Burrow becomes.

Neither do I. Honestly I wonder if most people don't know/forgot that Brees was a Charger for 5 years. He wasn't bad there (Pro Bowler his 4th year), but he wasn't the Drew Brees that most people know.

I'll take either of those two. How about Manning's performance and character with Rodger's postseason performance? Would like to avoid Manning's 1-and-done habit (9 of his 15 playoff trips were 1-and-done compared to Rodgers only doing it 2 of his 9 trips).

Agreed that I think you just need a whole lot to go right to see a Pats dynasty and I am not sure we'll ever see one again any time soon. Just need the players/coaches/organization to all be working at such a high level in conjunction for so long.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Because of Joe's impossible to succeed small hands my choice would be Marino.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully he isn't like the QBs you listed who won SBs after leaving the team that drafted them.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hopefully he isn't like the QBs you listed who won SBs after leaving the team that drafted them.

Well, Peyton won one for the Colts so that’s really only Brees.

Reply/Quote
I think we need to acknowledge the possibility of it resembling Carson Palmer.

1. He plays the Steelers twice a year, who don't take too kindly to the Bengals having players that make them competitive.
2. The organization never being able to manage a long-term relationship to great contributors.

I don't doubt Burrow beating Palmer stat wise. It's the other things that scare me.

But for now...I'm enjoying that we have someone that can drag the organization to Ws despite their flaws.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:35 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I think we need to acknowledge the possibility of it resembling Carson Palmer.

1. He plays the Steelers twice a year, who don't take too kindly to the Bengals having players that make them competitive.
2. The organization never being able to manage a long-term relationship to great contributors.

I don't doubt Burrow beating Palmer stat wise. It's the other things that scare me.

But for now...I'm enjoying that we have someone that can drag the organization to Ws despite their flaws.

[Image: wkyaNBI.gif?noredirect]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Peyton won one for the Colts so that’s really only Brees.

Steve Young was drafted 1st overall by the Buccaneers in the 86 supplemental draft after his USFL run.

[Image: 100316-Steve-Young-Bucs.vresize.1024.576.high.44.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Steve Young was drafted 1st overall by the Buccaneers in the 86 supplemental draft after his USFL run.

Ah shit that’s right. I don’t think we need to worry about the Bengals trading Burrow though lol

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah shit that’s right. I don’t think we need to worry about the Bengals trading  Burrow though lol

True, he's clearly not in danger of looking like a bust like Young did with that craptastic organization.  I just found it a little scary 4 of the SBs won by the guys in poll were done after they left their first team.  Yuh oh!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Steve Young was drafted 1st overall by the Buccaneers in the 86 supplemental draft after his USFL run.

[Image: 100316-Steve-Young-Bucs.vresize.1024.576.high.44.jpg]

The reason Young chose the USFL was because he/his agent (Leigh Steinberg) didn't want to go to Cincy, who had the top pick of the 1984 draft acquired from the Bucs via the Jack Thompson trade.  Young signed a proposterous $40 million, 43 year deal.  Not sure how much of that he actually got.
The Bengals wound up trading the pick and came away with another lefty QB we all remember.
Reply/Quote
He reminds me of Rogers with arm strength. They are about equal now. In his prime Rodgers was slightly better. Mobility Burrow has the slight edge their. Pocket presence they are even.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 02:30 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He reminds me of Rogers with arm strength. They are about equal now. In his prime Rodgers was slightly better. Mobility Burrow has the slight edge their. Pocket presence they are even.

Burrow’s arm strength is nowhere near Rodgers.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 12:24 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Vote on which QB Joe's career will mimic closest:

Let's start with the GOAT: Tom Brady. 6 super bowl wins. I watched his Youtube career story this weekend. The guy had a similar college career to Burrow. He fought for a starting job even as a Senior. Yet, when in there--he led them to multiple wins and an Orange Bowl win. Drops to the 6th round. If Burrow didn't transfer to LSU, he is likely a 6th round pick. They both have tremendous drive, leadership, intelligence, pocket presence, accuracy, vision.

Peyton Manning. 1st overall pick. 2 time super bowl winner. Extremely intelligent, record breaking numbers. Only the 2 super bowl wins though. Not as great moving in the pocket.

Aaron Rodgers. 1 Super Bowl. Extremely successful with a lot of regular season success and great numbers. Revolutionary QB in my mind, though. You can see a lot of his game in Mahomes.

I won't put Mahomes on the list, as we don't know how great he will become. Will he rival Burrow in Super Bowl wins? Will he dominate Burrow? Will Burrow dominate him like Brady did to Manning?

Phillip Rivers. Really successful QB that never really won the big one.

Andrew Luck. Great QB. Punished by his offensive line and retires early. I don't see Burrow quiting with the drive he has.

Drew Brees/Big Ben. 1 superbowl each. Consistent success.

Steve Young. 3 Super Bowl wins. Generational talent.

Boomer Esiason. Highly successful but never won the big one.

Yikes! You put Akili Smith on the list?

Burrow now has 60 more yards passing in half a season than Smith had in his 4 year career (2272 versus 2212) and 6 more TD passes, (11 to 5) and 8 fewer INTs (5 to 13).

I believe Burrow will make his own path. Whether the Bengals front office will do what it takes to win a championship is something entirely different. Mike Brown hasn't come close to putting a team together as well his father did and I have my doubts that he or his daughter will ever be able to.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 04:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yikes! You put Akili Smith on the list?

Burrow now has 60 more yards passing in half a season than Smith had in his 4 year career (2272 versus 2212) and 6 more TD passes, (11 to 5) and 8 fewer INTs (5 to 13).

I believe Burrow will make his own path. Whether the Bengals front office will do what it takes to win a championship is something entirely different. Mike Brown hasn't come close to putting a team together as well his father did and I have my doubts that he or his daughter will ever be able to.

The 2015 team was put together awfully well...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 11:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Wins and losses are on the team. individual QB stats are on the player. Burrow is lighting it up and breaking records at a record pace.

You can;t totally separate both of them.. QB stats are also tied to team and  players.. He did well yesterday but the WRs played great .. had great catches few drops etc... 

As far as records.. Herbert is also on a pace to break some records part of this for both is the league has changed many more passing records are going to be broken with the rules today and emphasis on the pass... 

It way too early to compare him to some of those greats but he deserves praise for sure for a solid rookie season. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 08:59 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oof

Drew Brees never reached his full potential with his first team and it wasn't until he left and went to a better team that he became a future first ballot HoF QB that won a SB.

Well the saints feel like at the time a crappy franchise like the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I voted Brees but I think he’s a combo of Brees and Rodgers. Similar mobility and moxie, arm strength better matches Brees.
Reply/Quote
No option for "Otto Graham"?!?

This is bullshit.
Reply/Quote
I voted Brees. He reminds me of Brees with his mannerisms on the field. They could have been father/son. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote