Poll: Receive or Defer
Receive
Defer
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which do you prefer? What should the Bengals do?
Should the Bengals this upcoming season Receive or Defer? With our offense should we not take the ball first and try to get up quickly?

Which one do you prefer as a fan?

WHO DEY!!!!
Reply/Quote
I think it's interesting that we had different approaches between 2021 and 2022.

In 2021 we were good at scoring before the half, then scoring after the half and making good adjustments.

But in 2022 it seemed like getting a lead early was more important, in order to take pressure off our O-line.
Reply/Quote
Burrow mentioned wanting to receive the ball to start the game this year after the rough start. So the Bengals started electing to receive. Then the Bengals started winning. Stick with it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Always prefer to defer and get the ball first in 2nd half.

But the Bengals went on their roll electing to receive so expect it to continue. Am fine with the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach.

Still like deferring though lol

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Receive.If it’s not broken,don’t try to fix it.It’s working.Stay with it.Be aggressive,and get out to an early lead.This offense is built to perform this way.It also appears that Joe Burrow prefers this receiving option as well.
Reply/Quote
Depends on who and where they're playing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I like choosing to receive. Because if you lose the coin toss, you get what you're used to.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 10:00 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I think it's interesting that we had different approaches between 2021 and 2022.

In 2021 we were good at scoring before the half, then scoring after the half and making good adjustments.

But in 2022 it seemed like getting a lead early was more important, in order to take pressure off our O-line.

There was a point where we were terrible on the scripted plays to start the game. Like shockingly bad at scoring on opening drives. Then, at some point in the year, that seemed to improve.
Reply/Quote
Defer.

Last year was a special case. The Bengals started season and games slow and sloppy. I think it was the Falcons game where they decided this wasn't a good team and they were going to take the ball and just run up the score board and they did. So choosing to receive became a thing for the rest of the year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
All things being equal, I prefer they defer and get the ball to start the 2nd half. That said, the defense has to hold up for that strategy to be effective. Ask again after game 2....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 09:52 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Should the Bengals this upcoming season Receive or Defer?  With our offense should we not take the ball first and try to get up quickly?

WHO DEY!!!!

I always liked to defer until we switched it up and became crazy aggressive and threw the NFL's strategy of deferring out the window
last year and we went on a 10 game winning streak in doing so. I vote to receive after this.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 01:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Defer.

Last year was a special case. The Bengals started season and games slow and sloppy. I think it was the Falcons game where they decided this wasn't a good team and they were going to take the ball and just run up the score board and they did. So choosing to receive became a thing for the rest of the year.

I thought they did it first for the Jets. After the sluggish start, Burrow was commenting that he'd like to try taking the ball first. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Burrow likes to receive and, with how explosive this offense could be, especially if we get a back like Zeke and a solid receiving tight end, I agree because you come out, set the tone (if we score or even put together a strong drive) and make the other team play catch up and put it in their minds that they're going to have to score a lot of points to even stay in the game.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 10:25 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Burrow mentioned wanting to receive the ball to start the game this year after the rough start. So the Bengals started electing to receive. Then the Bengals started winning. Stick with it.

This.  If Burrow wants the ball....give him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 03:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I thought they did it first for the Jets. After the sluggish start, Burrow was commenting that he'd like to try taking the ball first. 

Maybe but I thought they deferred in the Saints game. Either way whichever game they decided to receive when they won it became the team mentality after that game. 

In 2021 it was deferring because they had won like 7 coin tosses in a row to start the year lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Prefer to receive and hopefully get off to a fast start. Possibly go up by two scores in the first quarter. Also, start 2nd half with a somewhat rested defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 08:17 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Prefer to receive and hopefully get off to a fast start. Possibly go up by two scores in the first quarter. Also, start 2nd half with a somewhat rested defense.

Cannot argue with results. When we start off fast, we are really hard to beat.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 09:52 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Should the Bengals this upcoming season Receive or Defer? With our offense should we not take the ball first and try to get up quickly?

WHO DEY!!!!

Too many variables. I think a lot depends on who we are playing, where, weather etc. I like the killer instinct of wanting the hall first, but hope there some research involved other than, screw it we want the ball first.
Reply/Quote
It all depends on how the team is playing and who they are playing. Deferring and letting the other team score is bad, while deferring and getting a 3 and out is huge. Receiving and then scoring is huge, while receiving and going 3 and out puts you in a hole. If your defense is playing tough and your offense is struggling, it's best to defer. If it's the other way around, it's best to take the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 10:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Too many variables. I think a lot depends on who we are playing, where, weather etc. I like the killer instinct of wanting the hall first, but hope there some research involved other than, screw it we want the ball first.

Oh yeah, have to take into account everything. I just thought it was cool as every other team defers almost all the time.

To change that up and have the balls to take it first and go down and score a TD shows almost arrogant confidence and I love it.

(03-28-2023, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It all depends on how the team is playing and who they are playing. Deferring and letting the other team score is bad, while deferring and getting a 3 and out is huge. Receiving and then scoring is huge, while receiving and going 3 and out puts you in a hole. If your defense is playing tough and your offense is struggling, it's best to defer. If it's the other way around, it's best to take the ball.

All true as well Sled. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote