Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which player makes the cheifs say “sh*t, the bengals just got…”
This is often the way I look at things in life. Opportunity cost. When I’m trying to decide if I should sell something, I think, if I had $X amount of money, would I go buy this right now. If the answer is no, it’s likely I should sell it.

I look at our first round pick the same way. Which player(s), that actually have a shot of being there at 28, would make the Cheifs say “Oh crap, I can’t believe the Bengals just got…. He’s going to be hard to game plan against.”

For me, it’s Gibbs as the one who fits that and also has the chance to be there at 28. He may be gone before then, but if he falls, I wouldn’t be mad at all if we took him. I’d prefer one of the top Tackles or DL, but if not there, I think Gibbs strikes more fear than Forbes.

I feel like Forbes will be the pick if he’s there, but we need to win this year. Gibbs gets us closer. Obviously Bijan would but I think he’s gone in top 15. I think Gibbs is more impactful next year on the Bengals than any single TE (they often take time to develops in NFL). I think Gibbs is a bigger playmaker than any of the receivers, and even if not- we don’t need one. He would barley see the field. Gibbs can get involved in the passing game on every single play.

Just my thoughts. Ultimately, for the first time in my bengals life, I’m good with whoever the Bengals pick. I trust they’ll get it right.

Can’t wait for tonight!!
Reply/Quote
He's definitely the type of guy that teams would have to gameplan for. I actually think he is good enough of a pass catcher that he could be a WR in the league.

I'm torn on him, because he could immediately punish teams in passing situations.

The other guy would be Kincaid. Having a threat like that over the middle would be interesting. However I think adding Zach Kunz in the later rounds could provide the same effect.
Reply/Quote
Orlando Brown Jr. Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I lean a couple different ways.

I don't think the Chiefs will ultimately care about the Bengals getting a CB.
But a CB will be invaluable if Awuzie or CTB goes down to injury, and we've seen at least one CB go down to a big injury the past two seasons.

On offense, it was the OL that the Chiefs exploited to get the win, ultimately.
Getting the RT solidified will be huge against the Chiefs.

A new RB may help, but I don't think RB is what held the Bengals back the past two years.
Ultimately, it was blocking.

A more dynamic TE might help, but will the Bengals prioritize a true receiving threat TE over one with more experience/prowess as a blocker?
Darnell Washington might be the kind of TE that actually scares the Chiefs because he's a good blocker and also found ways to get chunk yardage as a receiver, albeit he's not as experienced when it comes to running routes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jahmyr Gibbs would have Chiefs fans envious of our weapons.  How we deploy them would determine how the Chiefs defense feels about it.  I am hoping that the Chiefs defense would feel themselves slow, as Jahmyr "The Juice Man" Gibbs and Jahmar "The Double Uncoverer" Chase fly by them for TD after TD after TD.  It is never too late for nicknames.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I lean a couple different ways.

But a CB will be invaluable if Awuzie or CTB goes down to injury, and we've seen at least one CB go down to a big injury the past two seasons.

A new RB may help, but I don't think RB is what held the Bengals back the past two years.

A more dynamic TE might help, but will the Bengals prioritize a true receiving threat TE over one with more experience/prowess as a blocker?
Darnell Washington might be the kind of TE that actually scares the Chiefs because he's a good blocker and also found ways to get chunk yardage as a receiver, albeit he's not as experienced when it comes to running routes.

I would go RT over Gibbs, I just don’t think the right one will be there. And I’d go Gibbs over any TE. Yea if a cb goes down we’re in trouble. But the same can be said for LT, DE, DT, S, QB, RG, C.

If they sit in high cover 2, we’ll run wheel routes and screens to gibbs all day for 8-15 yards.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:27 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I would go RT over Gibbs, I just don’t think the right one will be there. And I’d go Gibbs over any TE. Yea if a cb goes down we’re in trouble. But the same can be said for LT, DR, DT, S, QB, RG, C.

If they sit in high cover 2, we’ll run wheel routes and screens to gibbs all day for 8-15 yards.

I'm not thinking Brown going down will put the Bengals in trouble.
Jonah is still on the team, and Carman played fine in the playoffs last year at LT.
I'm actually more confident in LT than I am many/most positions in regard to depth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not thinking Brown going down will put the Bengals in trouble.
Jonah is still on the team, and Carman played fine in the playoffs last year at LT.
I'm actually more confident in LT than I am many/most positions in regard to depth.

Fair enough. But you get my point. I think grabbing a back up CB who will be starter if injury happens doesn’t get us closer to Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I lean a couple different ways.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the blocking, but it would be nice to have a running back other teams have to game plan for. Mixon has never been that back and I honestly can't remember the last great NFL back we had. The NFL moves in cycles. With all these leaner LB's and rushers to accommodate the passing game don't be surprised if the big running back comes back in popularity in the next few years. Control the clock and control the game. 

Now WTS I don't like minor league football so I don't have any idea who any of the players are going into the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:41 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Fair enough. But you get my point. I think grabbing a back up CB who will be starter if injury happens doesn’t get us closer to Super Bowl.

But there has been typically an injury to CB the past couple seasons, so it's not something we can say likely won't happen.

By the same logic then, a TE isn't going to necessarily play over Irv Smith immediately this year, same with RB over Mixon, or an OT over Jonah/Carman/Ford.

If Mixon ends up being cut, it would likely be the position with the most opportunity as a rookie, but how much difference is a RB really going to make on this team?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:53 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: This is often the way I look at things in life. Opportunity cost. When I’m trying to decide if I should sell something, I think, if I had $X amount of money, would I go buy this right now. If the answer is no, it’s likely I should sell it.

I look at our first round pick the same way. Which player(s), that actually have a shot of being there at 28, would make the Cheifs say “Oh crap, I can’t believe the Bengals just got…. He’s going to be hard to game plan against.”

For me, it’s Gibbs as the one who fits that and also has the chance to be there at 28. He may be gone before then, but if he falls, I wouldn’t be mad at all if we took him. I’d prefer one of the top Tackles or DL, but if not there, I think Gibbs strikes more fear than Forbes.

I feel like Forbes will be the pick if he’s there, but we need to win this year. Gibbs gets us closer. Obviously Bijan would but I think he’s gone in top 15. I think Gibbs is more impactful next year on the Bengals than any single TE (they often take time to develops in NFL). I think Gibbs is a bigger playmaker than any of the receivers, and even if not- we don’t need one. He would barley see the field. Gibbs can get involved in the passing game on every single play.

Just my thoughts. Ultimately, for the first time in my bengals life, I’m good with whoever the Bengals pick. I trust they’ll get it right.

Can’t wait for tonight!!

In terms of day 1, instant impact to improve the team in a way that you can't really create in a later round, I agree that Gibbs would create the most groans among our biggest opponents for the 2023 Super Bowl.

Forbes, on the other hand, is a more of a slow burn selection, where he may help you this season, especially if someone gets injured, but his true value will be realized in 2024, 2025 and 2026 (and longer if we extend him), since he likely replaces Awuzie who we might not have money to re-sign.

I agree that TE has a fairly low day 1 impact as well, because TEs typically take a while to get going and, even once they do, the non-Travis Kelce TEs in the NFL are usually only a few hundred yards better than a guy like Hayden Hurst (Hockenson, Andrews, Engram and Kittle are #2 through 5 for TEs in receiving yards, and none of them cracked 1000 yards). I think Mayer would give us a solid 600 to 700 yards this year and maybe 6 TDs, but that isn't all that much beyond what Irv could give us in the same role. The positional value just isn't there.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 01:53 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: This is often the way I look at things in life. Opportunity cost. When I’m trying to decide if I should sell something, I think, if I had $X amount of money, would I go buy this right now. If the answer is no, it’s likely I should sell it.

Can’t wait for tonight!!

Yep, Gibbs would strike the most fear besides Bijan who probably won't be there. Gibbs is the more dangerous dynamic RB of the two 
as well as far as a pass catcher out of the backfield. I want Gibbs more and more the closer we get to the Draft. He can work on his pass
protection, he would be an immediate weapon for us unlike any other position besides TE.

But imagine getting Jahmyr Gibbs tonight and Darnell Washington in the 2nd. Talk about 2 rookies that could contribute early...
Reply/Quote
I think it falls into 3 categories.

1) Help in the trenches. N. Smith, Van Ness, Kancey, Murphy,
2) Another weapon on O: Ribinson, JSN, Gibbs, Flowers, Kincaid
3) Legit pro bowl level 2 way TE: Mayer .

I don't think a corner scares them.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think it falls into 3 categories.

1) Help in the trenches. N. Smith, Van Ness, Kancey, Murphy,
2) Another weapon on O: Ribinson, JSN, Gibbs, Flowers, Kincaid
3) Legit pro bowl level 2 way TE: Mayer .

I don't think a corner scares them.

I think the 1st group will all be gone.
I think the 2nd group will all be gone
I think the 3rd guy (Mayer) will be gone.

But if any of them fall, i think that the guy they likely pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the 1st group will all be gone.
I think the 2nd group will all be gone
I think the 3rd guy (Mayer) will be gone.

But if any of them fall, i think that the guy they likely pick.

Good call from both of you. 

Got any lotto numbers you can pass along?

Reply/Quote
Nice Isaac
Reply/Quote
For what it’s worth, I went to the cheifs board. Looked at their live draft thread, they were all pissed we took Murphy bc they wanted him. Some saying we always draft well, us and Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
It’s the value of a guy like Murphy who can potentially play all 3 downs and can be versatile enough to play outside Lb and if he were to put on some weight, DT. Just hope he lives up to his potential because it’s through the roof.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:23 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Good call from both of you. 

Got any lotto numbers you can pass along?

Just my opinion, much like anyone else that has one.
Reply/Quote
Jordan Battle
Reply/Quote