Poll: Which position group for Rd 1 2021?
WR
OL
DL
LB
DB
Other (Specify in Comments)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which position group do you want Rd 1 in 2021?
The Bengals addressed most of their needs this offseason.
With that said, some were not addressed as well as others (OL), and some positions have some (key) players hitting FA in 2021.

2021 FAs:
WR = AJ Green, John Ross, Auden Tate, Alex Erickson, Mike Thomas, Stanley Morgan
OL = Alex Redmond
DL = Carl Lawson, Josh Tupou, Ryan Glasgow, Andrew Brown
LB = Josh Bynes, Jordan Evans
DB = WJ3, Shawn Williams, Mackensie Alexander, Brandon Wilson

So which position group do you hope they take in Rd 1 next year?

Disclaimer: I realize that the season hasn't been played yet and we don't know which players progress/decline by season's end. It's more about what you feel at this time based on the current roster and the impending FAs next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would go with D- Line we might be looking at 3 guys leaving or retiring next season. Would really prefer an interior Rusher my guess would be Jalyn Twyman from Pittsburgh.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Voted OL, but almost went “Other” for TE. But let’s see if Sample can become at least somewhat of a pass catcher...

Reply/Quote
Oline

It's really hard to say what will develop between now and then ? Where will we be drafting for example ? Middle of the pack or towards the top ? near the bottom Shocked

So much can happen between now and then. But just a guess Oline.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 02:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Voted OL, but almost went “Other” for TE. But let’s see if Sample can become at least somewhat of a pass catcher...

I can understand that, but Uzomah shouldn't be discounted.
Comparing his 2018 (starter) year to Eifert last year...

Uzomah 2018 (16 games) - 43 receptions, 439 yards, 3 TDs
Eifert 2019 (16 games) - 43 receptions, 436 yards, 3 TDs

If the Bengals lose all of Mixon, Ross, Green, and Tate, I can see a TE in the 1st round, but I know that WR class next year is gonna be stacked so WR may make more sense than TE. Ja'Marr Chase, Justyn Ross (Higgins' teammate), Rashod Bateman, Devonta Smith, or maybe Rondale Moore or Jaylen Waddle if the Bengals wanted a smaller speedster to mimic Brandin Cooks. All could go before the first TE gets taken.
If a TE though, I like the potential of adding Pat Freiermuth from Penn St if the Bengals happen to make the playoffs in 2020 and therefore drafting 21+ in 2021.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
At the moment, I suppose looking at the o-line. But, I'm more BPA next year than I was this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 12:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can understand that, but Uzomah shouldn't be discounted.
Comparing his 2018 (starter) year to Eifert last year...

Uzomah 2018 (16 games) - 43 receptions, 439 yards, 3 TDs
Eifert 2019 (16 games) - 43 receptions, 436 yards, 3 TDs

If the Bengals lose all of Mixon, Ross, Green, and Tate, I can see a TE in the 1st round, but I know that WR class next year is gonna be stacked so WR may make more sense than TE. Ja'Marr Chase, Justyn Ross (Higgins' teammate), Rashod Bateman, Devonta Smith, or maybe Rondale Moore or Jaylen Waddle if the Bengals wanted a smaller speedster to mimic Brandin Cooks. All could go before the first TE gets taken.
If a TE though, I like the potential of adding Pat Freiermuth from Penn St if the Bengals happen to make the playoffs in 2020 and therefore drafting 21+ in 2021.

Yeah, it doesn’t have to be in the 1st round if it’s a deep draft for TE’s. You would think it almost has to be better than this year’s crop. It’s a bit of recency bias for me with wanting a top TE. I look at the 2 teams that were in the Super Bowl last season, and both had elite TE’s. I don’t think it’s a coincidence the last time we were any good was during Eifert’s Pro Bowl season either...

But if we want to get it done by having one of the best WR groups in the league I’m all for that, too. If Higgins looks like he could legitimately replace AJ in a couple years I’d be down to go for the best OT available in the 1st, and then we’d (hopefully) have our bookends going forward.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 02:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Voted OL, but almost went “Other” for TE. But let’s see if Sample can become at least somewhat of a pass catcher...

If the Bengals don't go with one of the top positions (QB, Edge, OT, CB) TE is always on my wish list because of the miss-matches they create. Kyle Pitts from Florida and Patt Freiermuth from Penn State are a couple of guys I'm watching in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I went with CB, as WJIII is a free agent next year, and Alexander is on a 1 year contract. With all the $$ invested in the defense it would be foolish not to add to the unit to make it an elite force. I can see O-Line being a need, but I think you can find interior guys in 2-4. To me rd 1 picks should always be (QB, OT, CB, DE) first they are the most expensive on the FA market, and you get a 5th yr option.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 08:47 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I went with CB, as WJIII is a free agent next year, and Alexander is on a 1 year contract. With all the $$ invested in the defense it would be foolish not to add to the unit to make it an elite force. I can see O-Line being a need, but I think you can find interior guys in 2-4. To me rd 1 picks should always be (QB, OT, CB, DE) first they are the most expensive on the FA market, and you get a 5th yr option.

Why just focus on interior? Bobby Hart is our starting RT...

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 09:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why just focus on interior? Bobby Hart is our starting RT...

I expect him to perform better with a more mobile QB in 2020, but yes by no means is his job secure!!
Reply/Quote
As much as I want that OL from Oregon, I think Ja Mar Chase with Burrow is too good to pass up. Maybe if Fred J. doesn't do well this year than OL. If Bengals are picking near 10-17 next year which I think they may, I am leaning toward D. Smith WR or DB. Position group will depend on where the Bengals pick.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 11:07 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: As much as I want that OL from Oregon, I think Ja Mar Chase with Burrow is too good to pass up.  Maybe if Fred J.  doesn't do well this year than OL.  If Bengals are picking near 10-17 next year which I think they may, I am leaning toward D. Smith WR or DB.  Position group will depend on where the Bengals pick.

From what prospects I've looked at for the 2021 draft, there should be good OL prospects across the whole 1st round to take if the Bengals need/want an OL.
If the Bengals take a (big) leap in productivity out of the LT, LG, RG, and RT positions this year, WR/DB makes sense for sure.
I could also see DL, as Dunlap, Atkins, and Hubbard will all be entering a contract year in 2021, and Lawson might be gone too after 2020.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ol, tackle as I’m not sold on the rt options and burrow needs to be kept safe

De. Carlos getting older and Lawson and Hubbard not durable enough or explosive enough respectively

Cb/wr depending on who is signed. To early to call here with A.J. extension not announced yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
1st round - always go BPA if not a QB.

That being said, I think our biggest needs next year will be on the O-line and D-line. The O-line lacks depth and talent and the D-line is getting up in age
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 01:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 1st round - always go BPA if not a QB.

That being said, I think our biggest needs next year will be on the O-line and D-line. The O-line lacks depth and talent and the D-line is getting up in age

What if the BPA is a NT though? We just signed DJ Reader for 4 years. I don’t think you should always go BPA.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What if the BPA is a NT though? We just signed DJ Reader for 4 years. I don’t think you should always go BPA.

Yeah I agree.
I think the point Hammer is making is don't reach for a Billy Price just because you need a C. And in the case where the players at a certain position are so far removed from BPA, I agree go BPA. But if the talent is there, blend need and BPA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hard to pin down right now, but I would have to go with DB or OL, unless there is that "rare talent" player that just can't be passed up on sitting where ever they end up drafting.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OL
DE
WR (take this one away if Green gets re-signed)
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Went O-line until I see crazy significant improvement. Have to protect Burrow and open up holes in the run game.

Can definitely understand DL though with Geno and Big Los getting older.

The trenches man, the trenches.
Reply/Quote