Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which religion is right?
(05-20-2021, 08:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd like to believe it was Heaven's Gate who got it all right.  The idea of those crazy bastards just floating around on a comet now brings a smile to my face.

Didn't they castrate themselves too?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:39 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Basically, we are still the exact same energy of the Big Bang just contemplating itself differently.

Something like 80% of all the nitrogen in our bodies has been through the Haber Bosch process. Which blows my mind we are a bunch of recycled material and a large portion is from some chemical reaction to make fertilizer that was discovered not that long ago.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 09:55 PM)jason Wrote: Didn't they castrate themselves too?

You know, I think you're right.  I kinda remember that now.

PS You ever wonder how that went down?  Like, did they have the decency to collect those and throw them away themselves, or did the authorities stumble upon a bunch of severed members and have to bag 'em and tag 'em?   I mean, walking into a mass suicide has got to be rough.  Having to go around and collect a bunch of dicks and/or balls is just icing on the cake.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:24 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You know, I think you're right.  I kinda remember that now.

PS You ever wonder how that went down?  Like, did they have the decency to collect those and throw them away themselves, or did the authorities stumble upon a bunch of severed members and have to bag 'em and tag 'em?   I mean, walking into a mass suicide has got to be rough.  Having to go around and collect a bunch of dicks is just adding insult to injury.

Yeah... There was a lot going on with that whole thing. They had matching shoes too. I don't remember which brand, but in 1997 I would've called em biscuits. I probably wear the exact same shoes all these years later.

All bullshit aside. That was pretty cool to look up, and see that comet every night for however long it lasted.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:28 PM)jason Wrote: They had matching shoes too. I don't remember which brand, but in 1997 I would've called em biscuits. I probably wear the exact same shoes all these years later.

I'm pretty sure they were Nikes.  Old school like these...

[Image: 44983acfb082a69f3c6145106700780f.jpg]

The "biscuits" thing got a laugh out of me.  I've never head that before.  Reminded me of how many generational and regional terms there were for this kinda stuff.  That's the pre-internet (mainstream at least) for ya....
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm pretty sure they were Nikes.  Old school like these...

The "biscuits" thing got a laugh out of me.  I've never head that before.  Reminded me of how many generational and regional terms there were for this kinda stuff.  That's the pre-internet (mainstream at least) for ya....

Biscuits was a term for janky shoes... Circa 1987 to 1991 maybe. I was still hanging on to it by the HaleBop comet days though.

Clearly I'll still throw it out there...

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm pretty sure they were Nikes.  Old school like these...

(05-20-2021, 11:53 PM)jason Wrote: Biscuits was a term for janky shoes... Circa 1987 to 1991 maybe. I was still hanging on to it by the HaleBop comet days though.

Clearly I'll still throw it out there...

The interesting thing about this is that Nike Cortez's (pictured above) are the shoe of choice for Hispanic gang members here in CA.  It's literally part of the uniform.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 12:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The interesting thing about this is that Nike Cortez's (pictured above) is the shoe of choice for Hispanic gang members here in CA.  It's literally part of the uniform.

With khakis and locs? Or is that nostalgia and Hollywood?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 12:15 AM)jason Wrote: With khakis and locs? Or is that nostalgia and Hollywood?

Knee length black of khaki Dickies shorts and knee high white socks.  Usually with a wife beater, or standard tee.  Also a canvas belt with a metal buckle and something hood related carved out of the buckle.  Locs are still pretty standard.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 12:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The interesting thing about this is that Nike Cortez's (pictured above) are the shoe of choice for Hispanic gang members here in CA.  It's literally part of the uniform.

Dare I say that Hispanic gang members have more fashion sense than the majority of today's youth?

Everytime I go into a Foot Locker now I feel like older and older.  I'm all disoriented, yelling at the clouds, and feel like I'm looking at clown shoes.

Exhibit A:

[Image: the-sneakers-worn-by-lebron-james-of-tea...?s=594x594]

PS In case anyone is wondering if I purposely found a terrilble example, I literally typed in "Lebron James Nike" into Google and this was one of the first results among images.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Something like 80% of all the nitrogen in our bodies has been through the Haber Bosch process. Which blows my mind we are a bunch of recycled material and a large portion is from some chemical reaction to make fertilizer that was discovered not that long ago.

I learned a bunch of things searching for that guys.

Thanks.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 10:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Truth exists independent of our knowledge or proof.  Your willingness to believe without the proof is another story.

If the truth is indistinguishable from the unknowable, then I see no validity in believing it to be the case until such time as actual proof is found. 

It may be the truth that universe creating pixies exist. However, my willingness to believe that is the case says absolutely nothing about the truth value of said belief. I think I would be quite mistaken to place faith in the truth of the pixies' existence until I am presented with good reason to justify such a position. 

Would you be willing to believe I have a 50 foot, fire breathing dragon in my garage? If not, why?
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 01:06 PM)Dill Wrote: Totally agree on this part, Luce. 

Not sure about the bolded, though.  I do think the concept of "god" or gods may be falsifiable. 

I don't know that any abstract idea about a God or Gods can even be subject to falsification, because it's something that's merely conceivable within the human imagination. I'm definitely interested in hearing your thoughts and differing take, however.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 11:21 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Something like 80% of all the nitrogen in our bodies has been through the Haber Bosch process. Which blows my mind we are a bunch of recycled material and a large portion is from some chemical reaction to make fertilizer that was discovered not that long ago.

We're recycled star matter and we spend a disturbing portion of our brief existences with our pants around our ankles and our genitalia in our hands.

Kind of makes you wonder how we evolved as much as we have lol
Reply/Quote
This is all I have to say about religion...with synth slap bass.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no idea. What I know is that the main moral tenants of most modern religions are ripped off from those before. Even the whole "turn the other cheek" thing predates Jesus by over 2000 years. I just try to approach life like I approach time in the woods. I strive to leave it a little better than I found it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 04:52 PM)Lucidus Wrote: If the truth is indistinguishable from the unknowable, then I see no validity in believing it to be the case until such time as actual proof is found. 

It may be the truth that universe creating pixies exist. However, my willingness to believe that is the case says absolutely nothing about the truth value of said belief. I think I would be quite mistaken to place faith in the truth of the pixies' existence until I am presented with good reason to justify such a position. 

Would you be willing to believe I have a 50 foot, fire breathing dragon in my garage? If not, why?

That's why I had a second sentence.  

How big is your garage?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 10:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: How big is your garage?

Bigger than Jesus.
Reply/Quote