Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which side of the fence are you on?
I had a colorful discussion with a friend yesterday and was curious what your guys' thoughts on this issue were.

He expressed confidence in this team and didn't seem all that bothered given that all of our losses have been to teams that are leading their respective divisions. This sentiment was echoed by a few other people I spoke with.

My response to this was, who do you think we would face if we were to make it to the playoffs? If we can't beat good teams in the regular season, what changes when the postseason starts?

Curious to hear from others on where they stand on this.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:03 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I had a colorful discussion with a friend yesterday and was curious what your guys' thoughts on this issue were.  

He expressed confidence in this team and didn't seem all that bothered given that all of our losses have been to teams that are leading their respective divisions. This sentiment was echoed by a few other people I spoke with.  

My response to this was, who do you think we would face if we were to make it to the playoffs? If we can't beat good teams in the regular season, what changes when the postseason starts?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we'll be lucky to win another 2 games. I've moved on to the draft.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I still say we get into the playoffs, but with Marvin Lewis we will again not get it done, he couldn't lead a ***** to bed.
Reply/Quote
three or four weeks ago, I did a post that we cannot beat playoff level teams because our O line is below average and our D line is average.

I think that is what we have seen since I made that post.

Dalton is playing at a very high level. We might win division at 9-7 but we will need to sweep our remaining 5 games in the division or go 4-2 at a minimum.

There is no chance of this team winning the Super Bowl this season or going very far in the playoffs much less win a game.

I think 7-9 or 6-10 is more likely.

It is time to move on from Marvin and let a new coach bring in his own assistants. Any other NFL team would have done this several years ago.
Reply/Quote
I wish we could beat these teams now, but we have seen ourselves beat San Diego in season, then lose post season, beat Pittsburgh in the Season twice, (05, last year) then lose in the post season.

So IF we make it to the post season, it is not out of the realm of possibility to beat these same teams. Most teams are not the same in the post season as they are in the beginning of the regular season. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:09 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Yeah, I still say we get into the playoffs, but with Marvin Lewis we will again not get it done, he couldn't lead a ***** to bed.

So you think this team finishes 8-2 and gets into the playoffs? No way. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
His is a five maybe six win team. Coaching is at an all time low this year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:12 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So you think this team finishes 8-2 and gets into the playoffs? No way. 

Hey, we went 8-0 to start season last year, then finished 4-4. We are just going to reverse that trend and go on a 10 game win streak.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 10:03 AM)NKYRob Wrote: I had a colorful discussion with a friend yesterday and was curious what your guys' thoughts on this issue were.  

Our only saving grace is the rest of the division seems to have an identity crisis as well.  Well, except for Cleveland.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We'd likely be a wild card playing on the road if we made the playoffs. It's absolutely a concern that we can't beat the good teams.
Reply/Quote
I'm far calmer than most on here, do still think we are a solid team and will improve and make the playoffs. Don't have much faith we will be good enough to win once we get there, but I refuse to say we certainly won't until I see how the team finishes the year. All it would take is getting hot at the right time to end our drought. Still at most I'd give us a like a 10% chance of winning one this year. All in all I think everything is pretty much the same as it's been the last few years and expect the same results
Reply/Quote
I have zero to little faith in the coaching. I have little to some faith we have enough talent to do really good the remaining 10 games. To sum up, I have little faith in this team.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

Ok, so, I predicted 7-9 before the season started and 8-8 if they win the London game.

But I think I'm going to change my prediction. I think they go 11-5. I think they actually do turn it around and get much better starting now.

They have the EASIEST 2nd half of a season in the NFL and they have a lot of talent and a key guy should be back any week now. I think they do it.
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff is shit. Marvin can get by when he has great assistants and coordinators. He doesn't anymore. We're back to the stereotypical "Bengal Way" coaching staff, trying to show the league that we don't need and stinking outside help. This team got better when they realized they needed to go outside the organization to get better coordinators. Zimmer, Gruden, the retune or Hue, etc were good moves.

It's not a knock on your team when you need to hire outside talent. It's allowing yourself access to all other options, and it's smart. The answer isn't always in house.

What exactly was Ken Zampese? He was a hood ornament for three different coordinators with three different offensive philosophies. What approach does he have that makes him worthy of a position coaching a team that at the time had aspirations of going deep in the playoffs? Did any other team ever consider giving him a job over the last decade? He was just an entrenched lackey gathering dust and collecting paychecks, and all of a sudden he's supposed to be a championship caliber OC? Right.

This season, barring an improbable awakening, is just about done. So are the careers of many guys that have been key cogs in this team's rise to non-sucking. Peko, Adam, Maualuga, MJ, and very soon Whit will need to be replaced. Some are old and some just aren't good anymore. The positive is that there's a quarterback in place that's really good. The goal should be to cut dead weight and rebuild to make a run over the next 3 or 4 years before Andy is done. Better hope he doesn't get Bengalized in the meantime. Get a new HC and a serious staff, add more young pieces.
Reply/Quote
We aren't winning a playoff game this year, I wonder what will happen when Eifert comes back, but Eifert does not solve the line or coaching issues, just hides them.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 11:47 AM)samhain Wrote: The coaching staff is shit.  Marvin can get by when he has great assistants and coordinators.  He doesn't anymore.  We're back to the stereotypical "Bengal Way" coaching staff, trying to show the league that we don't need and stinking outside help.  This team got better when they realized they needed to go outside the organization to get better coordinators.  Zimmer, Gruden, the retune or Hue, etc were good moves.  

It's not a knock on your team when you need to hire outside talent.  It's allowing yourself access to all other options, and it's smart.  The answer isn't always in house.  

What exactly was Ken Zampese?  He was a hood ornament for three different coordinators with three different offensive philosophies.  What approach does he have that makes him worthy of a position coaching a team that at the time had aspirations of going deep in the playoffs?  Did any other team ever consider giving him a job over the last decade?  He was just an entrenched lackey gathering dust and collecting paychecks, and all of a sudden he's supposed to be a championship caliber OC?  Right.

This season, barring an improbable awakening, is just about done.  So are the careers of many guys that have been key cogs in this team's rise to non-sucking.  Peko, Adam, Maualuga, MJ, and very soon Whit will need to be replaced.  Some are old and some just aren't good anymore. The positive is that there's a quarterback in place that's really good.  The goal should be to cut dead weight and rebuild to make a run over the next 3 or 4 years before Andy is done.  Better hope he doesn't get Bengalized in the meantime.  Get a new HC and a serious staff, add more young pieces.

Great post!

Smith, Nelson, Hall, Sanu, Jones all were key cogs that left.

Add the guys to your list then guys like Zeittler who are free agents and not producing and you have A LOT of turnover from the top 1/2 of the roster.
Reply/Quote
I am confident that the Bengals can't beat good teams right now. Maybe if Eifert comes back, Pacman and Dennard start playing well, Huber quits shanking punts, Erickson becomes a ST contributor, and the O-line figures out how to block then things will change.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
There are two seasons in NFL, the regular season and seeding, then there is playoff season. Bengals can look great in regular season and look bad in playoffs like the last 5 years or so. This year, they could look like an average to below average team during the regular season and look the same in playoffs or look better in the playoffs. Some teams get hot at the right team. Injuries also can change the chemistry dynamics of a team. I think when Eifert comes back the offense will get better. My concern is the defense.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote