Poll: Who was a better Team
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which team was a better team 2005 or 2015
We have been discussing a new franchise QB and past ones Palmer and Dalton so I thought I see overall what team did you think was a better team overall. I am going to go with 2015... 2nd rated Defense in points against and 7th rated Offense in scoring (that is with losing Dalton early in game 13).

If Dalton stays health he was on pace to easily have the best year of any QB in our History. We had just slaughtered Cleveland and St Louis leading into the Steelers game that he got hurt which we had defeated at their place early in the year.

2005 was a bit more on the flash side with Chad, TJ and Henry and had a great season from Rudi Johnson and was 4th in scoring.. but on defense 2015 was much more dominate . up front.. the team had 42 sacks to 28 with the 2005 which finished 22nd in points allowed...

We will never know how good either could have been with Dalton going down 10-2 in game 13.. and Palmer going down early in 1st playoff game but I have to say 2015 is the best team we have had since Super Bowl Team...

What do you think
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2015... That team was very well rounded, and probably could've made some noise if Dalton doesn't go down. McCarron stunk it up for 80% of that playoff game, and we still had it won before we melted down.

The 2005 team was awesome on offense, and very suspect on D. They never really won a shootout that year, and I just never really bought that narrative of we go all the way if Carson doesn't blowout his knee. Even if they got past Pittsburgh, Peyton Manning owned the Bengals in his prime.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't think this one is that close 2015 in a route.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
2015 far and away. The 2005 team was damn good but mentally weak. Fighting in the locker room during the half of a playoff game they were still leading was just the last symptom of a systemic problem. Chad's penalty on what would have been a touchdown play vs Jacksonville is another good example of a really good team being mentally unprepared and weak. They spent the entire game setting up that one play and in the moment of truth it was ruined by a gad damned false start because our elite receiver didn't have his head in the game.

In 2015 we lost our starting qb and would have still won a playoff game until dumb and dumber threw it away. We can argue about how fair those calls were until we are blue in the face, but the Burfict hit specifically was totally unnecessary and gave Jones an opportunity to finish it with his own inability to control his emotions. 2015 the issue was a lot more clear cut and Marvin's refusal to see it ultimately cost him his job and rightfully so. I would have rather had a less talented defense than deal with the personality disorders we had on that side of the ball.

I guess overall 2005 was more emotionally fulfilling as a fan because of the playoff drought and the amazing moment when we clinched the division for the first time in my adult life. I remember attending the Vikings game that year and just not believing what I was seeing. They played "I'm a Believer" in the stadium and literally everyone sang along and danced. It is still one of my favorite moments ever in sports. 2015 was just so ugly at the end. I loved a lot about that team and but the ugly ending after finally slaying the dragon for all intents and purposes only to have character issues toss it all away is still a bitter memory and will be for a while.I mean they finally were going to not only win a playoff game but on the virtue of beating the ####### stealers and just gave it right back.

Gonna hit the post reply button before this turns into a rant.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
2005 slightly better offense.

2015 defense MUCH better.
Reply/Quote
If Carson doesn't go down we win a super bowl that year.

2015 even with Dalton I don't think we do.
Reply/Quote
2005 team

The Bengals defense was more opportunistic
That year. James and O'Neal really were johnny
On the spot ballhawks.
Odell was really coming into his own as sideline
To sideline backer
He could play the run...rush the passer and drop back
Into passing lanes
Brian Simmons was the glue that held the D together
Pollack was really catching fire and getting better
At that DE spot.it took him awhile to get comfortable

Offensively the 2005 group was better.
Rudi could take over a Game wear a D down
Perry was no slouch as a 3rd down back.
The fact that Carson went deep to Slim 1st pass
Tells you how deep and talented the WR core was.
That team had no fear of the Steelers either
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 04:15 PM)motoarch Wrote: If Carson doesn't go down we win a super bowl that year.

2015 even with Dalton I don't think we do.

What is this based on?

The 2015 team was pretty much equal in offense and MUCH better on defense.
Reply/Quote
The 2005 offense with the 2015 defense would have been absolutely unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 03:42 PM)Cicero Wrote: In 2015 we lost our starting qb and would have still won a playoff game until dumb and dumber threw it away. 

Greatest and worst day of my life took place that day. All in less than 2 minutes. Man, the high I was on when we were finally going to win a playoff game, and against the Steelers at that? My BP was up so bad I was shaking like I had just hit the megamillion. Then, well, death knocked at the door.

Reply/Quote
Idk but I hope we have a team during Burrow’s rookie contract that is way better than both of them...

Reply/Quote
2005 defense wasn't as good but they were pretty good at turnovers.

I'll take the 2015 coordinators on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
2015, and you'll have a tough time convincing me otherwise. That 2015 defense was one for the ages, and the offense, save for Center, could always seem to muster a score when they needed one.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 2015, and you'll have a tough time convincing me otherwise. That 2015 defense was one for the ages, and the offense, save for Center, could always seem to muster a score when they needed one.

Both teams had great WR’s, but Eifert was really the X factor. Palmer would have killed for a TE that could score 13 TD’s.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 03:42 PM)Cicero Wrote: In 2015 we lost our starting qb and would have still won a playoff game until dumb and dumber threw it away.

Can we PLEASE put this false history to rest already?

Burfict had a FF, a sack that knocked Roethlisberger out of the game for awhile, and an INT that should have sealed the win. Burfict is literally the reason they were in position to win that game. He was the key reason why the 3rd overall/4th ranked scoring offense was held to just 15 points through 58 minutes despite McCarron having an INT and 3 Fumbles and scoring 0 points through 3 quarters.

All Jeremy Hill had to do was not fumble. That's it. Hill doesn't fumble and the Bengals win. It's really that simple. He didn't even need to get a first down because they were already in FG range... just fall forward for 2 yards 3 times, let the kicker kick a 37 yard FG, and then the Steelers had essentially zero time and had to score a TD. That's a win. JUST. DON'T. FUMBLE.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think the debate is if you buy into Cincy taking the route the 2005 Steelers did to win it. The Colts didn't bring their best and Ben had a lucky saving tackle. That's why the debate isn't just who is the better team, yoi have to factor in the competition.

For me, Andy not getting hurt means they likely get a bye, and Denver could have just as easily been us as the Steelers in 2005. I'll take Cincy's 2015 team at that point vs 2005 path.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is this based on?

The 2015 team was pretty much equal in offense and MUCH better on defense.

Just my opinion man, nothing else.  You don't have to agree and frankly I don't give a damn if you do.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 05:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The 2005 offense with the 2015 defense would have been absolutely unstoppable.

I still think the 2015 team was better on offense than 2005 if Dalton does not go down.. 

Dalton was on a pace to roll past Carson stats... I give edge to Johnson at RB.. but we had two young backs in Hill and Gio who split time had the same yards as Johnson and probably fresher legs...
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 07:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can we PLEASE put this false history to rest already?

Burfict had a FF, a sack that knocked Roethlisberger out of the game for awhile, and an INT that should have sealed the win. Burfict is literally the reason they were in position to win that game. He was the key reason why the 3rd overall/4th ranked scoring offense was held to just 15 points through 58 minutes despite McCarron having an INT and 3 Fumbles and scoring 0 points through 3 quarters.

All Jeremy Hill had to do was not fumble. That's it. Hill doesn't fumble and the Bengals win. It's really that simple. He didn't even need to get a first down because they were already in FG range... just fall forward for 2 yards 3 times, let the kicker kick a 37 yard FG, and then the Steelers had essentially zero time and had to score a TD. That's a win. JUST. DON'T. FUMBLE.

Sadly so true.. While at the game.. a Steeler fan (lady) was so mad after the interception with our of our fans.. knowing at that time, the Bengals had the game in control, she came up 4 rows and slapped the guy.. OMG.. then goes back down to be sad and FUMBLE.... In the end she is dancing in the aisle.. SHIT...
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 07:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Both teams had great WR’s, but Eifert was really the X factor. Palmer would have killed for a TE that could score 13 TD’s.

Meh, something leads me to believe that the statuesque Mr. Palmer was likely more than happy with being blessed with Reggie Kelly's blocking ability..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote