Trading down for Zeitler
Chad johnson for Marvin Jones
Keith River for Iloka
David Jones for nelson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which was the best trade?
Knowing what we know now which do you think ended up being the best trade? The Keith Rivers move was pretty great.

Bengals got the 17th pick and another 2nd rounder in the Oct. 18, 2011 trade with Oakland for quarterback Carson Palmer.

During the draft the Bengals traded the 21st pick to New England for the 27th pick, Wisconsin right guard Kevin Zeitler, and a third-round pick, Clemson defensive tackle Brandon Thompson

On July 29, 2011, the Bengals got a 2012 fifth-round pick in a trade with New England for wide receiver Chad Johnson and took Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones.

On April 12, 2012, the Bengals traded linebacker Keith Rivers to the Giants for a fifth-round pick and two weeks later selected Boise State safety George Iloka.

On Sept. 4, 2010, the Bengals traded a 2012 seventh-round pick and cornerback David Jones to Jacksonville for safety Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
The Palmer trade was an obvious no-brainer. He seemed 100% determined to never play for Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis again, so getting anything much less a king's ransom for him was amazing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yea a first and second for a guy refusing to play has to be it. If Jason Campbell never got injured that year Palmer would probably be out of the league for awhile now.
Reply/Quote
Nelson trade, easily. David Jones was a nobody who I don't even think made that team. Nelson was the first good safety that the Bengals had in ages.

Palmer was actually a good player, and they used their first round pick on Dre Freaking Kirkpatrick, so that's why I didn't vote for that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Palmer trade was an obvious no-brainer.  He seemed 100% determined to never play for Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis again, so getting anything much less a king's ransom for him was amazing.

That's how I like looking at this question.  He wasn't going to play and you made a huge haul.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't like looking at the players that were actually drafted but the value of the pick itself.  Jones and Iloka were great finds, but drafting one of those types with the extra pick in the Zeitler trade makes that haul look better vs Thompson as a player.  It also gets complex when you look at the Nelson deal, would the genius of that deal look the same if they didn't lock him into that sweet contract?  When we look at CJ for Jones do we think find it amazing until we think of what they could have got from the Redskins a year prior?  I don't like all the extra variables over what they landed at the time.  The simplest answer is the Palmer trade gave the most, regardless of whoever they actually drafted.  To me, trading for fair value and drafting correctly are two separate ideas.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nelson trade, easily. David Jones was a nobody who I don't even think made that team. Nelson was the first good safety that the Bengals had in ages.

Palmer was actually a good player, and they used their first round pick on Dre Freaking Kirkpatrick, so that's why I didn't vote for that.

Exactly why I voted for Nelson/Jones over the Palmer trade.

Palmer was a good player and we got Gio (good) and DreKirk (mediocre) in return.

We stole Nelson though. We pretty much got the GOAT Bengals Safety for free. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Jones for Nelson.  Any questions?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nelson trade, easily. David Jones was a nobody who I don't even think made that team. Nelson was the first good safety that the Bengals had in ages.

Figured you'd go with the Brian Leonard trade. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea a first and second for a guy refusing to play has to be it. If Jason Campbell never got injured that year Palmer would probably be out of the league for awhile now.

Yeah, and we owe it to Cleveland for knocking Campbell out of the game.  Even when the Browns get a break they still manage to **** things up.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We stole Nelson though. We pretty much got the GOAT Bengals Safety for free. 

No you didn't
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured you'd go with the Brian Leonard trade. 

I like Leonard for how clutch/pivotal he was for that 2009 playoff team, but I have never had any delusions that he was ever more than he was. A backup role player who had a couple big moments.

Can't compare that to a safety who played at a high level for 6 years after years of poor/mediocre safety play.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
David Jones for Nelson.

Because 1. We got rid of a player that most likely would have been cut for a Pro Bowl/All Pro safety.

I really do like the Palmer trade as well.

We may have to go back and look at the Rivers-Iloka trade down the line. So far Iloka has looked good and doesn't seem like he's hit his ceiling. But he's getting there.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I like Leonard for how clutch/pivotal he was for that 2009 playoff team, but I have never had any delusions that he was ever more than he was. A backup role player who had a couple big moments.

Can't compare that to a safety who played at a high level for 6 years after years of poor/mediocre safety play.

I'm a poor man's Brian Leonard. 

A slow broke ass BL actually.[Image: smiley-sad047.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Yup. This x100
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I went with the Nelson trade. It seemed like no time at all and the trade was paying off for the Bengals. Like others said David Jones was iffy to even make the roster. Not sure what the Jags saw in Jones or what they didn't see in Nelson for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:38 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I went with the Nelson trade. It seemed like no time at all and the trade was paying off for the Bengals. Like others said David Jones was iffy to even make the roster. Not sure what the Jags saw in Jones or what they didn't see in Nelson for that matter.

Reggie was a high draft pick, taken by a team in the State he played his college ball.  Expectations were high, to be sure.  When he didn't develop into an immediate super star, there was likely much discontent in the fan base.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reggie was a high draft pick, taken by a team in the State he played his college ball.  Expectations were high, to be sure.  When he didn't develop into an immediate super star, there was likely much discontent in the fan base.

Another man's trash is another man's treasure.Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reggie was a high draft pick, taken by a team in the State he played his college ball.  Expectations were high, to be sure.  When he didn't develop into an immediate super star, there was likely much discontent in the fan base.

People always forget this, but that Jaguars team was so devoid of secondary talent that they basically tried to have Nelson play CB.  Ed Reed would've looked bad playing for the Jags in that period.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly why I voted for Nelson/Jones over the Palmer trade.

Palmer was a good player and we got Gio (good) and DreKirk (mediocre) in return.

We stole Nelson though. We pretty much got the GOAT Bengals Safety for free. 

Palmer was a good player and he currently is a good player, but when we traded him he wasn't even showing up to play football.  Carson Palmer put up 0's across the board for the Bengals in 2011 and it sure didn't seem like anything was going to get him here. Plus, we drafted his replacement.  It would be like trading Keith Wenning for a 1st and a 2nd...the guy had 0 chance of doing ANYTHING for the Bengals ever again.

(04-13-2016, 07:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea a first and second for a guy refusing to play has to be it. If Jason Campbell never got injured that year Palmer would probably be out of the league for awhile now.

I think eventually Mike would have accepted some sort of trade for Palmer.  It's hard to believe no team other than the Raiders wanted him, they were just the only team that offered enough that Mike Brown decided bettering the Bengals was worth giving in on an argument.  Even after 2011 or 2012 (?) Palmer would have been eligible to sign with another team (I think...) and he could have been picked up by many teams on a "vet backup maybe starter" sort of deal.
Reply/Quote
The Carson Palmer trade was the greatest trade in Bengals history until we used that pick to select a 3rd round talent CB.

BUT..we got Gio and that is good.

Palmer's departure also got us Dalton and that is good. Green also has good chemistry with Dalton, would he have had the same with Carson? We'll never know. 

Carson never took us to the PO's 5 straight years.

If only we could have gotten both guards instead of Dre though. (hindsight of coarse)

Gah, then our old friend had to go and play just good enough to win a PO game before us... Sad

hmmm.. Carson Palmer trade #1. Nelson #2

Reply/Quote