Trading down for Zeitler
Chad johnson for Marvin Jones
Keith River for Iloka
David Jones for nelson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which was the best trade?
(04-13-2016, 09:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly why I voted for Nelson/Jones over the Palmer trade.

Palmer was a good player and we got Gio (good) and DreKirk (mediocre) in return.

We stole Nelson though. We pretty much got the GOAT Bengals Safety for free. 

I went with the Nelson trade as well for same reasons. First overall QB pick for two guys who are ok, whereas with the Nelson trade, we got a very good player for zip.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 06:54 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: On Sept. 4, 2010, the Bengals traded a 2012 seventh-round pick and cornerback David Jones to Jacksonville for safety Reggie Nelson.

It doesn't really make much difference, but the 7th round pick was conditional and since Reggie was not a full time starter his first year with us we got to keep the pick.

As to the original question it is pretty close for me, but I value two good players (Gio, Dre) over one (Reggie), so I am going for the Palmer trade.
Reply/Quote
Nelson trade was the one for me......
Reply/Quote
In my opinion the best trade in Bengal history was the #17 pick in the '04 draft (ended up being decent LB D.J. Williams who started several years but never made a Pro Bowl) for All Pro CB Deltha O'Neil, RB Chris Perry (injury prone career, but key part of the '05 offense), long time starter DE Robert Geathers, and starting LT Stacy Andrews.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 03:57 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Carson never took us to the PO's 5 straight years.

Technically, Dalton didn't either.  He set the plan into motion prior to his injury, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nelson trade, easily. David Jones was a nobody who I don't even think made that team. Nelson was the first good safety that the Bengals had in ages.

Palmer was actually a good player, and they used their first round pick on Dre Freaking Kirkpatrick, so that's why I didn't vote for that.

My thoughts as well.....plus the Palmer deal was kind of a shotgun wedding, if you will.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Because he'll play at a high level for a longer period of time with us, I'm gonna give some love for the Rivers/Iloka swap.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:38 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I went with the Nelson trade. It seemed like no time at all and the trade was paying off for the Bengals. Like others said David Jones was iffy to even make the roster. Not sure what the Jags saw in Jones or what they didn't see in Nelson for that matter.

Jacksonville messed up with Reggie. He played decently as a rookie, but they decided to use him as more of a CB instead of safety. He didn't look good and the fan base kind of turned on him. It was such a weird situation.

Luckily, we got Nelson for peanuts since David Jones just sucked. I definitely put the Nelson trade as our best.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In my opinion the best trade in Bengal history was the #17 pick in the '04 draft (ended up being decent LB D.J. Williams who started several years but never made a Pro Bowl) for All Pro CB Deltha O'Neil, RB Chris Perry (injury prone career, but key part of the '05 offense), long time starter DE Robert Geathers, and starting LT Stacy Andrews.
Greatest trade to me was getting James Brooks. Just read the details of that trade. Brooks played 8 years for us and Pete Johnson played 3 games for the Chargers.
Reply/Quote
Are we talking about the trade itself or the results of said trade? I mean, we can trade an old jock strap for six 1st round picks and they could all be busts, but it's still a pretty good trade, right? Or we could trade AJ Green for a 7th round pick who leads us to 5 Super Bowls which makes that a pretty lousy trade, but with great results, right?

Just what DOES a great trade make?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 09:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly why I voted for Nelson/Jones over the Palmer trade.

Palmer was a good player and we got Gio (good) and DreKirk (mediocre) in return.

We stole Nelson though. We pretty much got the GOAT Bengals Safety for free. 

Excuse me sir, a Mr. Fulcher is on hold and would like to speak with you.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 11:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are we talking about the trade itself or the results of said trade?  I mean, we can trade an old jock strap for six 1st round picks and they could all be busts, but it's still a pretty good trade, right?  Or we could trade AJ Green for a 7th round pick who leads us to 5 Super Bowls which makes that a pretty lousy trade, but with great results, right?

I based my vote on the results. Otherwise, was trading David Jones and a 7th for Reggie Nelson really a great trade? Nelson was drafted as a CB and was pretty much a bust in Jacksonville. Not a thrilling trade initially.

On the other hand, the Palmer trade looks better if you don't look at the players we got and how they turned out. Not that Gio and DreKirk are terrible or anything, but saying we got a 1st and 2nd rounder sounds better than saying we got a rotational RB and a mediocre CB.

(04-14-2016, 11:33 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Excuse me sir, a Mr. Fulcher is on hold and would like to speak with you.

I totally forgot about Fulcher. Ok, Reggie was our best safety since Fulcher. Fair?  ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 12:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I based my vote on the results. Otherwise, was trading David Jones and a 7th for Reggie Nelson really a great trade?  Nelson was drafted as a CB and was pretty much a bust in Jacksonville. Not a thrilling trade initially.

On the other hand, the Palmer trade looks better if you don't look at the players we got and how they turned out.  Not that Gio and DreKirk are terrible or anything, but saying we got a 1st and 2nd rounder sounds better than saying we got a rotational RB and a mediocre CB.

I totally forgot about Fulcher. Ok, Reggie was our best safety since Fulcher. Fair?  ThumbsUp

I don't see how anything can top the Palmer trade because we got a 1st and a 2nd for a guy who was 0% going to play for us. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 07:37 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Greatest trade to me was getting James Brooks.  Just read the details of that trade.  Brooks played 8 years for us and Pete Johnson played 3 games for the Chargers.

Rep
Reply/Quote
Bill Bergey for 2 first round picks and a second in '77 and '78 that we turned into.  .  .  

DT Wilson Whitley...Solid 6 year starter.  The "W" in our '81 Super Bowl W.E.B.B. d-line.

CB/S/KR Ray Griffen....Versatile player who did not start a lot of games (23 in 7 years) but played a lot and had 11 interceptions with 3 of them returned for tds.

DE Ross Browner....One of the best D-linemen in Bengal history.  Started 121 games in 9 years with the Bengals.  Was the last "B" in the "W.E.B.B.".   Got a lot of sacks before they were an official stat.
Reply/Quote
The Palmer trade was great but i went with David Jones for Reggie Nelson.

Reggie was great here and to get a player like that for a nobody was quite a theft.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 11:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are we talking about the trade itself or the results of said trade?  I mean, we can trade an old jock strap for six 1st round picks and they could all be busts, but it's still a pretty good trade, right?  Or we could trade AJ Green for a 7th round pick who leads us to 5 Super Bowls which makes that a pretty lousy trade, but with great results, right?

I think you have to put yourself in the shoes of the men who made the decision at the time. Look at were both sides were coming from and then evaluate years later. What trade did the Bengals make that benefited the team for years while leaving the other partner with peanuts? That's how I looked at it. If I was a GM a good trade would be getting the most while giving the least. You also have to take advantage of your picks/player whatever you got as well or else the trade sucked.

Reggie for example was considered a bust by his own people the Bengals saw more then that and traded essentially nothing to get an all-pro who was a staple in the Bengals defense for years. The Bengals gave him a chance and Reggie had jump-started his career.

A jockstrap for 6 first round picks would just be bizarre. LOL
Reply/Quote