Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While Waiting for Thursday....
Let's do this exercise to get away from the debates and thoughts about tomorrow for a few:

Hypothetically, two teams with very similar talent are playing each other.

1. Can both teams play a 'perfect' game?

2. If so, what would the outcome look like?

(If you don't care to 'play along', please pass on by and save the ridicule, sarcasm, malice for the first time the Bengals lose)
Reply/Quote
i would say its impossible for both teams to play a prefect game. unless you just wanna talk about offenses or defenses.

1. But if one is going prefect say Defense of Team A is pitching a shutout the Offense of team B isnt playing prefect so its impossible for both to play a prefect game.

2. either 0-0 or 70-70
Reply/Quote
Both teams playing at their best would result in a Cincinnati Bengals victory to the tune of 60-0.

Wink. Okay maybe not a blowout, but I think we would win.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 02:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i would say its impossible for both teams to play a prefect game.  unless you just wanna talk about offenses or defenses.

1. But if one is going prefect say Defense of Team A is pitching a shutout the Offense of team B isnt playing prefect so its impossible for both to play a prefect game.

2.  either 0-0  or  70-70

Coudnt agree more with this take.

Now, two even teams, can team A go out and play a great game, but team B played one step ahead and team B wins

The game is over.  Is it possible for team A to say, "We just got beat today.  We played well, team B just played better."

(I don't know if I've ever heard a coach in football say this.  Baseball, yes, plenty of times.)
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 02:16 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Coudnt agree more with this take.

Now, two even teams, can team A go out and play a great game, but team B played one step ahead and team B wins

The game is over.  Is it possible for team A to say, "We just got beat today.  We played well, team B just played better."

(I don't know if I've ever heard a coach in football say this.  Baseball, yes, plenty of times.)
Coaches give credit to the team that just beat them all the time in their post game pressers.  Hobspin used to include the opposing team in his post game transcript and just about every one of them gave credit where it was due.  They spend more time on what their team didn't do but they don't seem shy about calling it like it was.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 02:36 PM)McC Wrote: Coaches give credit to the team that just beat them all the time in their post game pressers.  Hobspin used to include the opposing team in his post game transcript and just about every one of them gave credit where it was due.  They spend more time on what their team didn't do but they don't seem shy about calling it like it was.

I have never heard this;

"I think we played well in all 3 areas of the game, but we were just out played today. No turnovers, we executed well, tackled well. They were just a step ahead today, and hopefully we will play well again next week and be a step ahead ourselves."
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 02:43 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I have never heard this;

"I think we played well in all 3 areas of the game, but we were just out played today. No turnovers, we executed well, tackled well. They were just a step ahead today, and hopefully we will play well again next week and be a step ahead ourselves."

Maybe not those words but some semblance of them.  It is very rare that a coach of the losing team did everything right.  There will always be something that could have prevented the loss.

So the answer to your original question is that it's hard to conceive of both teams playing a perfect game.  So much of a football game is dependent on imposing your will on the other team, doing things they are trying to stop you from doing.  That means that the losing team was less than perfect, at best.

The very nature of an athletic contest of any kind hinges on the loser not being perfect.  And a nothing/nothing tie
means neither was perfect.  If they were perfect, they would have won.

If I score points on you, you're no longer perfect.  If I don't score points on you, I am no longer perfect.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote