Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While we keep seeing "reports" about Whit, Zeitler, Dre
We keep seeing "reports" and rumors of interest by other clubs.  Is there really any merit to those items?  I mean, we have not heard anything along the lines of negotiations breaking off between those players' agents and the Bengals organization. 

Until I see something posted by an actual credible agency or reporter, I'm still of the mindset that the Bengals are doing everything that they can to keep those players on the team.

What are your thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We keep seeing "reports" and rumors of interest by other clubs.  Is there really any merit to those items?  I mean, we have not heard anything along the lines of negotiations breaking off between those players' agents and the Bengals organization. 

Until I see something posted by an actual credible agency or reporter, I'm still of the mindset that the Bengals are doing everything that they can to keep those players on the team.

What are your thoughts?

I believe sportingnews, profootballnewsnbcsports, and all the sources you can Google up on latest news on each of these players that many teams are after Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, Whitworth and Peko.  This does not mean Bengals have not made them an offer, I'm sure they have.  Last year Bengals made Jones and Sanu and Andre Smith and Nelson and Hall offers.   I hope they all resign as Bengals, but this is the NFL and this is The Bengals who don't win many bidding wars.  Zeitler and Kirkpatrick are as good as gone with teams lining up with big money. I would hope maybe Whitworth, but teams are lining up for him also and for Peko as well.  

So I have no doubt Bengals have offered these players a contract before free agency. They are in free agency because theses players and their agents don't agree with what the Bengals offered, just like Jones and Sanu.  It is sounding like Bengals will keep LaFell and I don't see Burkhead as a hard sign at all, he isn't exactly a 1,000 yard rusher.

Here is the thing. We are letting way too many top players hit the free agent water each year now. Players that should have been resigned before the seasons start. They are cheaper to sign early than late. Bengals only hurting themselves.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We keep seeing "reports" and rumors of interest by other clubs.  Is there really any merit to those items?  I mean, we have not heard anything along the lines of negotiations breaking off between those players' agents and the Bengals organization. 

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are the Bengals screwed themselves and everyone knows it. They came out and said they are only using $15m of their $43m available for free agency. There's no way than can re-sign all 3 of Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick with only $15m to spend. I'm sure they have offered deals and I am sure they have had discussions. I could see the Bengals offering a similar deal to all 3 (length and totals may vary, but similar per year average) and the first one to sign wins.

When you have the money available to sign all 3, but tell the world you're only going to use 34% of what you have available, I think the players even take that as a slap in the face.
Reply/Quote
Seems to be more click bait than anything to me. Nothing of any substance can be reported only after 4:00 pm Thursday, so they can only speculate until then.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: My thoughts are the Bengals screwed themselves and everyone knows it. They came out and said they are only using $15m of their $43m available for free agency. There's no way than can re-sign all 3 of Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick with only $15m to spend. I'm sure they have offered deals and I am sure they have had discussions. I could see the Bengals offering a similar deal to all 3 (length and totals may vary, but similar per year average) and the first one to sign wins.

When you have the money available to sign all 3, but tell the world you're only going to use 34% of what you have available, I think the players even take that as a slap in the face.

Now take away $5 mill for the re-signing of LaFell. Down to $10 million!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: My thoughts are the Bengals screwed themselves and everyone knows it. They came out and said they are only using $15m of their $43m available for free agency. There's no way than can re-sign all 3 of Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick with only $15m to spend. I'm sure they have offered deals and I am sure they have had discussions. I could see the Bengals offering a similar deal to all 3 (length and totals may vary, but similar per year average) and the first one to sign wins.

When was the only spending 15 million in cap stated? I find it hard to believe that's all we allowed for ourselves
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 08:06 PM)Housh Wrote: When was the only spending 15 million in cap stated? I find it hard to believe that's all we allowed for ourselves

I can try to link the article shortly, but Hobson, Jim O, the Enquirer, all have stated the Bengals said they have allocated $15m for free agency.

EDIT to add links

Link from Cincy Jungle quoting Hobson's story on Bengals.com about the team only spending $15m in free agency; http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/28/14762904/bengals-plan-cheap-internal-free-agents
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Seems to be more click bait than anything to me. Nothing of any substance can be reported only after 4:00 pm Thursday, so they can only speculate until then.

Click bait, that is pretty much how I see it.  As to the 15M that they announced as their FA budget?  I see that as smoke screen, so that everyone will be so pleasantly surprised when they actually spend double that amount.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We should take it easy on the mods and have some common sense to stop this kin of crap. Either leave a link or don't post it.
Reply/Quote
Agree 100% Sunset.

I'll criticize the team and their approach to FA after it's over and there is actually something to evaluate. Everything that is coming out at this point is just hot air and while some of it may hold substance nothing is for certain and anything can change at any moment.
Reply/Quote
Stop with the $15 million capspace bullshit...

If I remember correctly.. a couple of years ago .. the "Bengals" said the same thing, by only using $20 million of their cap space and many of us got mad to find out the used nearly $30 mill in the end.

(It was that one year when they got Michael Johnson, Sims, etc. all back)
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Bullshit or not, that's what the team is putting out there. It's not like I'm making a number up out of thin air and claiming it as fact.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:02 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Stop with the $15 million capspace bullshit...

If I remember correctly.. a couple of years ago .. the "Bengals" said the same thing, by only using $20 million of their cap space and many of us got mad to find out the used nearly $30 mill in the end.

(It was that one year when they got Michael Johnson, Sims, etc. all back)

Yeah, and I don't know exactly what a year in Tampa and two years in Oakland did to those guys, but they both came back as mere shells of their former superstar selves...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
4:00 PM tomorrow can't get here soon enough. Once that time comes and goes and we barrel our way into the weekend will we really know where this franchise is heading in 2017, and even more specifically our draft strategy.

As far as the "reports" go, hey look, this time of the year rumors are rampant and rapid. But at the end of the day this is a message board that revolves around discussing a game, and it's entertaining (to me) to speculate and read others speculation on where so-and-so may go, or if they'll resign, what our Cap space really is and what to do with it, etc. I do agree that there needs to be at least a viable link that substantiates a rumor because nonsense clutter is beyond frustrating to rifle through.

So, yeah, just my $.02.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 07:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Seems to be more click bait than anything to me. Nothing of any substance can be reported only after 4:00 pm Thursday, so they can only speculate until then.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:18 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Bullshit or not, that's what the team is putting out there. It's not like I'm making a number up out of thin air and claiming it as fact.

You could quit quoting a number every other fan on here knows is bullshit.  But by all means keep posting crap you know is inaccurate. 

Oh here's another thing....Team's, coaches and player personnel executives all lie during FA and the draft.  Just in case you were wondering.
Reply/Quote
Hear hear Muskiesfan. Their words not yours. Even if they blow past it, it sounds cheap. Who wants to play for some penny pinchers?

As far as "reports". Reports are the Bengals are kicking tires. I think we all know that for sure.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:27 PM)Stewy Wrote: You could quit quoting a number every other fan on here knows is bullshit.  But by all means keep posting crap you know is inaccurate. 

Oh here's another thing....Team's, coaches and player personnel executives all lie during FA and the draft.  Just in case you were wondering.

Wait, are you sitting there telling me that NFL franchises do not just publish/say what is truly going on within the walls of their facility in order to appease fans?  Well I'll be damned.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 08:06 PM)Housh Wrote: When was the only spending 15 million in cap stated? I find it hard to believe that's all we allowed for ourselves

Not sure what the surprise is, we get the same spending limits from Mikey Brown each year. Of course, the amount varies each year as the team takes their salary cap, subtracts rookie salaries, a bloated amount for injuries signings, an extra amount to rollover to next year and another amount to extend existing contracts.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Not sure what the surprise is, we get the same spending limits from Mikey Brown each year. Of course, the amount varies each year as the team takes their salary cap, subtracts rookie salaries, a bloated amount for injuries signings, an extra amount to rollover to next year and another amount to extend existing contracts.

......only to not extend those existing contracts.  That's what is frustrating here to me.  They told us all they had to have rollover money for guys like KZ and DreK.  Those guys aren't extended....and maybe won't be.  Rumors are rumors...but the fact is...those boys should ALREADY be signed. Afterall....that's what we were told when people clamored for outside FAs and for signing MJ and the like a couple years ago.  They're full of shit....and cheap.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote