Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whit Says We Need More Swagger
Quote:"That kind of confidence and attitude is something that would be good for our offense," Whitworth said, via Bengals.com. "We need some of what these young kids call swagger. We need some of that ability to have a confidence in us no matter who you are or where you’re from or how good a team we’re playing…we’re really good. And we’re going to bring it. We need a little bit of that attitude."

...Looking at you Marvin. Fire up your team!

[Image: 00cf941b9bede21526a37c2e3e071875.jpg?itok=EWpsSsML]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Hill's attitude rubs off on some of the older guys.

WTS, I'm still not so sure about how many more wins a little extra "swagger" is going to bring the team. My guess would be between 0 and 1, but hey, if Whit says we need it, I hope they find a way to get more of that type of attitude on the team.
Reply/Quote
Winning yields swagger, it isn't the other way around.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:20 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hopefully Hill's attitude rubs off on some of the older guys.

WTS, I'm still not so sure about how many more wins a little extra "swagger" is going to bring the team. My guess would be between 0 and 1, but hey, if Whit says we need it, I hope they find a way to get more of that type of attitude on the team.

I think it helps a lot more. 
It's that confidence we need when the playoffs roll around. We have this perpetual "Oh no not again look" in the playoffs before anything has even happened. That's where it'd help. Confidence and toughness in crunch time. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Winning yields swagger, it isn't the other way around.

^^This^^^
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:16 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: ...Looking at you Marvin. Fire up your team!

[Image: 00cf941b9bede21526a37c2e3e071875.jpg?itok=EWpsSsML]

I have always asserted that the attitude comes from the organization (owner). If your organization treats you like you are #1; you will carry yourself as such. When Eddie DiBartalo owned the 49ers, he treated them to the best of everything, and they were a dynasty. You can see similar results throughout recent history with Dallas and New England.

Our owner treats his team as a commodity. He will look for every opportunity to cut a corner and save a nickel. We all poked fun at J.Jo when he left and pointed to a difference between here and Houston is the team provided them with Gatorade and deodorant. How much swag do you think a player has carrying in his bag from Walmart full of deodorant and Gatorade? How much swag do you think our players have travelling to local University if they must practice indoors or worse a local indoor soccer facility.

This is why our team crumbles when the lights are brightest. A Head Coach cannot “fire up” professional athletes; they must do it themselves. It is the organization’s responsibility to instill this in them by treating them as if they are more than a business.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Winning yields swagger, it isn't the other way around.

You nailed it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:20 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hopefully Hill's attitude rubs off on some of the older guys.

I do think some confidence would help during those long periods where the team is flat during a game. It seems like the offense in particular will disappear for a quarter or two a game hardly even gaining yards no less moving down the whole field. I do think some of the younger guys that are getting their shots (Hill and Kirk in particular.) will ignite the fire when the team needs to come out of its shell and play ball.
Reply/Quote
I thought Hue was supposed to bring Swagger to this offense? I remember before the beginning of last season with Hue as OC him going on about how he's going to make this offense tough and give it an attitude.

Guess not according to Whit...
Reply/Quote
Perhaps Whit is calling out Dalton in a nice way?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 05:50 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: Perhaps Whit is calling out Dalton in a nice way?

He's calling out everybody, himself included.  

I think swagger means belief, confidence, and, most of all, no fear.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Burfict=swagger.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:44 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think it helps a lot more. 
It's that confidence we need when the playoffs roll around. We have this perpetual "Oh no not again look" in the playoffs before anything has even happened. That's where it'd help. Confidence and toughness in crunch time. 

Yep,

Before this team can have a prayer of winning in crunch time they have to start believing in themselves, believing in the HC, believing in the system. The first sign of adversity and they crumble, no confidence, no swagger !

They go into every Pittsburgh game with their tails tucked between their legs. It has to stop
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have always asserted that the attitude comes from the organization (owner). If your organization treats you like you are #1; you will carry yourself as such. When Eddie DiBartalo owned the 49ers, he treated them to the best of everything, and they were a dynasty. You can see similar results throughout recent history with Dallas and New England.

Our owner treats his team as a commodity. He will look for every opportunity to cut a corner and save a nickel. We all poked fun at J.Jo when he left and pointed to a difference between here and Houston is the team provided them with Gatorade and deodorant. How much swag do you think a player has carrying in his bag from Walmart full of deodorant and Gatorade? How much swag do you think our players have travelling to local University if they must practice indoors or worse a local indoor soccer facility.

This is why our team crumbles when the lights are brightest. A Head Coach cannot “fire up” professional athletes; they must do it themselves. It is the organization’s responsibility to instill this in them by treating them as if they are more than a business.
After JJoe left he was awful and we kept Leon. Great Move. Leon never said anything bad and never will.
As far as Marvin firing anyone up he is awful and more importantly cannot game plan correctly
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 07:11 PM)jjvolt Wrote: Burfict=swagger.

Whit said the offense needed swagger..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 11:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whit said the offense needed swagger..

Insert Jeremy Hill.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 04:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have always asserted that the attitude comes from the organization (owner). If your organization treats you like you are #1; you will carry yourself as such. When Eddie DiBartalo owned the 49ers, he treated them to the best of everything, and they were a dynasty. You can see similar results throughout recent history with Dallas and New England.

I think both ownership and coaching both play a role. While I agree that the ownership needs to be fully invested in winning and avoid cutting corners I believe a coaches influence and the energy his guys have to feed off of come into play more in the heat of the moment when your team hasn't shown up to play that day rather then deoderent and a practice facility.
Reply/Quote
Marvin needs to bring one of these into the locker room huddle before each game.
[Image: 2254243248_04714b0276_o_d.jpg]

The player who had the best week of practice gets to open it before they all run out of the tunnel.

Same at halftime. Guy with the best first half does the honors.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 06:57 PM)McC Wrote: He's calling out everybody, himself included.  

I think swagger means belief, confidence, and, most of all, no fear.

I agree.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

I think it brings a lot more to the team than you think because it gets the team firing on all cylinders and just rolling through games like no one can stop us.  

If you're rolling on emotion and adrenaline, you line up every play and think "I'm going to dominate this guy and there's nothing he can do to stop me."

Hill's attitude is unreal and I think he'll be a leader just by bringing the swag to the team and attitude like "yeah, we're winners!"

I think that's the biggest part of swagger is just an attitude of knowing that we're a great team.

Agreed, but this team has proven that it is a winner, so we need that swagger to get us over the next hump.  

We need the confidence and attitude that says "we're going to do to you what we like and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."

We need the confidence and air about us that says "this is our time and no one can stop us."
Reply/Quote