Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whit gets an extnsion
Happy to have the big fella for at least another year! Hopefully, Whit can retire here. I'd hate to see him anywhere else, like Munoz was his final year.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
Whitworth, 33, has appeared in 138 games, including 134 starts, for Cincinnati since being selected by the Bengals in the second round of the 2016 draft.

Back to the future?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 11:36 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I doubt that he's thinking about retirement.  I think it's more likely that the Bengals will move on without him and he'll play a year or two elsewhere.  

I could be wrong though.  After all, I didn't even think they'd bring him back for 2016.  What a pleasant surprise...

I think a lot depends on what happens with fisher and cedric. I could see them over paying whit to be the flex guy/ xtra TE. But who is to say they let him walk, they kept Newman around a long time plus we like vets over young players. Cedric and Fisher could be sitting a Cpl years.
Reply/Quote
Great news. Whit carried this team on his back after Palmer quit on us. He is the heart of the team and I hope he retires a Bengal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good move. Simplifies the offseason as we no longer have both tackles up for free agency. Next stop hopefully either Marvin Jones or Andre Smith.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 09:57 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: 1 year - 9 million...sounds good to me.  I'd like for him to be here longer than that, but I'll take what I can get.

I would like to see the details.

He was under contract for 4 million in 2015, so I would think an extension to 9 million means his 2016 contract is 5 million, not 9 million

But, I like the move regardless, but love it if only 5 million for a starting LT
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 02:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: Good move. Simplifies the offseason as we no longer have both tackles up for free agency. Next stop hopefully either Marvin Jones or Andre Smith.

I think Smith is gone.  He was hurt last year and will have a good year this year in his contract year as always, and will leave to go to the highest bidder.  He didn't get any interest last time, but he will this time.  Ogbeuhi will start next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 02:55 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think Smith is gone.  He was hurt last year and will have a good year this year in his contract year as always, and will leave to go to the highest bidder.  He didn't get any interest last time, but he will this time.  Ogbeuhi will start next year.

You spelled Fisher wrong
Reply/Quote
Perfect. I would not want to throw Ogbuehi to the wolves next year.

It probably means that Andre Smith goes, but they can't keep everyone and they obviously took two tackles this year. There's still plenty of cap space to get Iloka and one of the WRs signed.
Reply/Quote
They were just showing the injury report on NFL Network and it said Whitworth was doubtful with a back issue?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Great move, best LT in the league and seems to just get better and better with age...

Like a fine wine.
Reply/Quote
So the Bengals FP says there is no confirmation of the ESPN report of a deal from either side.  Weird...
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 01:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Could be a possibility when you consider the number of guys we still need to re-sign.

Awesome news.  Whit is knocking on the door of the Bengals Mt Rushmore.
Reply/Quote
I'm very happy to see him get an extra year. No matter his age or knees, he is producing at a high level. There aren't enough proven quality tackles in the league. A desperate team would give him a solid 3 year deal and hope he holds up just to get one or two good years if it means contending. Giving up that extra year of leverage says a lot about him wanting to stay in Cincy. That's possible even long term if he holds up. Don't forget that they don't have Zeitler signed long term either. So, while they're waiting on the young tackles to pan out they're also looking to see how Zeitler's contract plays out too.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 12:59 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure why people always say that.  The biggest deal we ever did, Carson Palmer's extension,  was during the season.

It was at the very end of the season.  The rules were different back then and they used a bunch of cap space they were going to lose.  If I remember properly they claimed they had been saving the cap space in case they needed to sign some injury replacements during the season.
Reply/Quote
As for Whit I would have liked to see a 2 or 3 year deal, but this is a great move to see what we have with our draft picks.

Anything could still happen with Zeitler and/or Smith. I doubt that they will both be back, but either one could be gone. It all depends on how this season plays out.
Reply/Quote
Lots of HUGE decisions will need made after this season...
Reply/Quote
great move. solidifies top 5 o line next year too
Reply/Quote
This definitely gives us insurance towards Ced O. We can slowly integrate him and see how he's progressed.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 08:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So the Bengals FP says there is no confirmation of the ESPN report of a deal from either side.  Weird...

The Bengals never confirm deals until the ink has dried. Its possible they have agreed but Whit hasn't actually signed yet.
Reply/Quote