Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
White Privilege?
(07-06-2018, 12:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think folks would openly mock a black President because of his skin color or size of his hands? 

I know they'd mock him for his skin color and the size of his ears.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-06-2018, 12:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know they'd mock him for his skin color and the size of his ears.

They mocked Nixon for the size of his nose:

[Image: ce18d938c648373892c1c227f1592946.jpg]
(07-06-2018, 12:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know they'd mock him for his skin color and the size of his ears.

Guess we just have a different memory base if there were folks mocking Obama because of his skin color. 

BTW, do you agree with the OP's premise or are you just following me around? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
They loved painting Obama and Michelle as monkeys. So yes. I don't think anyone can deny the racial undertones they withstood.

But my focus is on what is considered electable, and specifically my belief that it's different based on race. I know what's politics and what isn't. I'm focused on who believes Obama or any black man would have been elected with Trumps background....

I personally hope we never find out because it'd be to stereotypical and an embarrassment (to me anyway) if there was a cheating black candidate with a bunch of baby mommas etc. with such a shaky background running for Potus.

The thought of the reaction form society scares me to think what we'd hear.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-06-2018, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In fact Trump wants to deregulat the banking and finance indistry.  What does history tell us about that?

Obviously, nothing.
(07-06-2018, 12:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: They loved painting Obama and Michelle as monkeys. So yes. I don't think anyone can deny the racial undertones they withstood.

But my focus is on what is considered electable. I know what's politics and what isn't. I'm focused on who believes Obama or any black man would have been elected with Trumps background....

Probably...if Hillary was his opponent.
(07-06-2018, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess we just have a different memory base if there were folks mocking Obama because of his skin color. 

Seriously. You have a "different memory" of people talking about Obama's skin color?

I'd say that'a complete lie but it could just be the selective memory that seems to strike Trump supporters around here.

(07-06-2018, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: BTW, do you agree with the OP's premise or are you just following me around? 

I haven't responded to the OP yet....but I had a true answer for your post so you got the lucky first response. Smirk
(07-06-2018, 11:08 AM)jj22 Wrote: So my question is, is it white privilege? Or can someone claim Obama or any Black/Brown (minority) would have gotten away with these pre and post election actions? In either party.

I think it's a bit of white privilege, a bit of male privilege and a huge part of money and success privilege.

He's a "winner", he's a billionaire, hence his ways are right.
(07-06-2018, 12:04 PM)Beaker Wrote: They mocked Nixon for the size of his nose:

[Image: ce18d938c648373892c1c227f1592946.jpg]

Yep.

Not sure what bfine was going for there.....
(07-06-2018, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess we just have a different memory base if there were folks mocking Obama because of his skin color. 

You never got aware of Breitbart, right. He's a monkey, his wife's a monkey transvestite, also he's from Kenya.
(07-06-2018, 12:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: Probably...if Hillary was his opponent.

Ha. True.

(07-06-2018, 12:09 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think it's a bit of white privilege, a bit of male privilege and a huge part of money and success privilege.

Yep.

While Reagan could ride the imaginary "welfare queen" story to victory and GW Bush's people could slander McCain with stories about his "illegitimate black child" Trump's affairs and lifestyle and history didn't/doesn't seem to matter.

Obama wore a tan suit!  Michelle wore a sleeveless dress!  those are the REAL scandals.

But Trump was born into money and a system that allowed him to seems to be successful despite his many failures.  That's a little bit old white guy, little bit rich guy.
(07-06-2018, 12:09 PM)hollodero Wrote: I think it's a bit of white privilege, a bit of male privilege and a huge part of money and success privilege.

Good points. Especially with the money and success. That does seem to allow people to turn a blind eye.

(07-06-2018, 12:11 PM)hollodero Wrote: You never got aware of Breitbart, right. He's a monkey, his wife's a monkey transvestite, also he's from Kenya.

Nope, can honestly say I have never visited the site and if not for this forum, I would be unaware of his existence. 

FWIW, I wasn't talking about Fringe Media, I was referring to mainstream media and political opponents. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-06-2018, 12:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, can honestly say I have never visited the site and if not for this forum, I would be unaware of his existence. 

FWIW, I wasn't talking about Fringe Media, I was referring to mainstream media and political opponents. 

OK, fair enough. You did say "folks" though. There's quite a lot of folks around doing these things.
Breitbart, a site which I can't quite believe you'd be unaware of for even most folks in my country know about them, isn't just fringe media to me, but a symptom. Now coming to Europe btw. to fuel our own alt-right and alt-reality Putin fans. You heard about a guy named "Steve Bannon" once, right? But whatever.

In general, I don't know if the mainstream media mocks Trump's appearance that much. With exceptions for sure. When he starts to shame women because of their appearance (which he frequently did, calling them unattractive and ugly and whatnot), some guest commentaries I heard countered by saying he's not that sexually attractive either. I think that's not ideal, but it's fair game. Making this kind of judgements cannot be his sole privilege.
Similarly, I don't see a scandal when people mock his hands or skin tone or whatever, since he does the very same things (little Marco, sweating like a spilled waterbottle and these things) and I have a hard time holding everyone else to a higher standard than the US president.

And lastly, I don't know if there's really something wrong with his hands, I might have made fun of it for the sole reason that Trump himself seems to be so ultra-sensitive about them. [That one I borrowed from John Oliver, but I feel the same]
(07-06-2018, 12:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, can honestly say I have never visited the site and if not for this forum, I would be unaware of his existence. 

I don't recall Fox ever talking negatively about Obama's skin color. But there have been some jokes that everyone who works at Fox must be white because of their tendency to run the wrong photos when it comes to black people, Obama included.
On a side note the video of Bush turning into Obama was eerily realistic. They must have similar features. Anyone remember that?

The first privilege of White Privilege is ignoring that White Privilege exists.

Yes, I believe that White Privilege exists. I wish there was another terminology to frame it, such as "Majority Race Privilege". I believe there are also other types of privileges: Black Privilege, Wealthy Privilege (probably much more influential), Ignorant Individual Privilege, etc.

People have a social tendency to cluster into groups with some similar traits and cite truths and/or develop myths about themselves and others who are not part of their group. Humans do this. The privilege part comes into play when one group is willing and able to ignore problems that another group may actually have to face. A prime example of this are some of the incidents where some Christians claim that their religious rights have been trampled because they have not been allowed to trample on the rights of people with other religions. I call this "Ignorant Christian Privilege".
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Bengalzona has blown everyone's mind.

It is my belief that terms and ideas such as white privilege and institutional racism are covered under the umbrella of racism. We dont need them to further divide us.