Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
White Privilege?
(01-07-2019, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 3. Not sure of the relevance here; however, I assume it made sense when you said it in the mirror.  

Sorry it went over your head.  I thought the relevance was pretty clear.

You made a comment suggesting that if white privilege existed then white people would be allowed to call Martin Luther King a "coon" on tv.  Since that has absolutely nothing to do with how "white privilege" works I used another example of a comment pointing out how ignorant it is to attributre "white privilege" to situations where it does not apply.

Basically claiming "white privilege" allows white people to use racial slurs on TV is just as stupid as claiming "white privilege" protects white people from getting  hit byu cars.

Get it now? 
(01-07-2019, 09:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry it went over your head.  I thought the relevance was pretty clear.

You made a comment suggesting that if white privilege existed then white people would be allowed to call Martin Luther King a "coon" on tv.  Since that has absolutely nothing to do with how "white privilege" works I used another example of a comment pointing out how ignorant it is to attributre "white privilege" to situations where it does not apply.

Basically claiming "white privilege" allows white people to use racial slurs on TV is just as stupid as claiming "white privilege" protects white people from getting  hit byu cars.

Get it now? 

No one called MLK a coon; that's fake news. He got tongue tied an misspoke his name. 

I know you won't answer, because it's not your style but:

Do hyou think the results would have been different if a black guy had misspoken in this manner? (They wouldn't is not an answer)

Answer that earnestly and you may begin to see the point. Deflect and prove it as well. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
It's a bad term, and doesn't do the concept much justice. I understand the pushback. It sounds provocative. Bad and unjust things can happen to everyone no matter the race.

But to the original example of the thread, it's theory at it's purest form. I don't think Obama would or could get away with what Trump is/has. I don't think Michelle could have had Melania's background, and been revered as a black women, a role model, by the majority of Americans. I think if Obama acted like Trump it would have been a blow to the progress of breaking stereotypes of African Americans. Especially as it relates to hopes of a Presidency again.

They had the weight of a race on their shoulders and I don't think the actions of Trump trickles down like that as it relates to the perception, stereotypes, and overall ethics of a group of people. A minority group of people. And that for the majority is a Privilege. One they may never understand.

For the record I believe the same thing about the first women President. Whoever she may be. Regardless of party. As a minority group. If all hell break lose under her, it'll be the last time we'll see a women as President in awhile.

So it's not "white privilege" per se. It's majority privilege. It just so happens to be the majority race is "white". That's the best I can offer on my beliefs on the whole thing. And I'll let it go.

Maybe Trump broke those barriers. And now any race, or gender can act a fool in the White House! His lasting legacy and campaign promise of healing a nation.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(01-07-2019, 09:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's a bad term, and doesn't do the concept much justice. I understand the pushback. It sounds provocative. Bad and unjust things can happen to everyone no matter the race.

But to the original example of the thread, it's theory at it's purest form. I don't think Obama would or could get away with what Trump is/has. I don't think Michelle could have had Melania's background, and been revered as a black women, a role model, by the majority of Americans.  I think if Obama acted like Trump it would have been a blow to the progress of breaking stereotypes of African Americans. Especially as it relates to hopes of a Presidency again.

They had the weight of a race on their shoulders and I don't think the actions of Trump trickles down like that as it relates to the perception, stereotypes, and overall ethics of a group of people. A minority group of people. And that for the majority is a Privilege. One they may never understand.

For the record I believe the same thing about the first women President. Whoever she may be. Regardless of party. As a minority group. If all hell break lose under her, it'll be the last time we'll see a women as President in awhile.

So it's not "white privilege" per se. It's majority privilege. It just so happens to be the majority race is "white". That's the best I can offer on my beliefs on the whole thing. And I'll let it go.

Maybe Trump broke those barriers. And now any race, or gender can act a fool in the White House! His lasting legacy and campaign promise of healing a nation.

Well thought out post. 

(01-07-2019, 09:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know you won't answer, because it's not your style but:

Do hyou think the results would have been different if a black guy had misspoken in this manner? (They wouldn't is not an answer)

Answer that earnestly and you may begin to see the point. Deflect and prove it as well. 

I always respond to every question you ask.  Not giving you the answer you want is not the same as not answereing.  Either post an example of me refusing to respond to a question you asked or STFU.  It is getting tiresome hearing you repeat this same old lie.

The result would have been different because there would not be suspicion of a Freudian slip committed by a black person.

BTW the fact that you automatically assume the guy is innocent even though you never met him is proof of "white privilege".  If not them please explain why you think he is innocent when you have never met the guy.
(01-07-2019, 07:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought I would but this here instead of starting a shiny new thread:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/meteorologist-fired-viewers-claim-uttered-racial-slur-air-174828228.html

Does anyone actually think this guy's intention was to say Coon instead of King on the air?

But in this case his white privilege got him fired.

(01-07-2019, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A black guy would not have said "coon" instead of "king".

And the fact that you think this has anything to do with "white privilege" proves you have no clue what it even means.

"White guy just got hit bya car.  Wonder why his "white privilege" did not protect him? Derp."

(01-07-2019, 10:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I always respond to every question you ask.  Not giving you the answer you want is not the same as not answereing.  Either post an example of me refusing to respond to a question you asked or STFU.  It is getting tiresome hearing you repeat this same old lie.

The result would have been different because there would not be suspicion of a Freudian slip committed by a black person.

BTW the fact that you automatically assume the guy is innocent even though you never met him is proof of "white privilege".  If not them please explain why you think he is innocent when you have never met the guy.
I had to do the extensive research of going back one page.

There's a difference between not answering the question posed and answering a question not asked (aka not giving an answer wanted).

Example:

Did I ask would a black person say coon or did I ask would the result be the same if he/she had? 

Answer that and you're on your way to enlightenment or STFU as you say.

Of course it would not be the same if a black person had said it.  There is no indication that black person would be a closet racist against black people.

Just like there would be a huge difference between Billy Graham Jr and Bill Mahr saying "Jesus Kunt" and then trying to act like it as just an honest mistake.
Fred is saying the guy had a "Freudian" slip.

"Freudian" slips are hilarious at times, when not relating to harm of course. While anicdotal of course, I used to work at UDF and women would come in all the time wanting ice cream. While ordering a dip of ice cream, they would say "I'd like your ****" and a second later realize what they said, turn red and then smile and order. Many would turn red and just walk out, lol.

It's hilarious.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(01-07-2019, 09:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's a bad term, and doesn't do the concept much justice. I understand the pushback. It sounds provocative. Bad and unjust things can happen to everyone no matter the race.

But to the original example of the thread, it's theory at it's purest form. I don't think Obama would or could get away with what Trump is/has. I don't think Michelle could have had Melania's background, and been revered as a black women, a role model, by the majority of Americans.  I think if Obama acted like Trump it would have been a blow to the progress of breaking stereotypes of African Americans. Especially as it relates to hopes of a Presidency again.

This is a well put and cogent post.  However, I feel compelled to point out that women are not a minority.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Priceless

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/16/areva-martin-cnn-analyst-accuses-black-radio-host-white-privilege/2590841002/

Quote:"Well, David, that’s a whole 'nother long conversation about white privilege, the things that you have the privilege of doing that people of color don’t have the privilege of," said Martin.

When Webb asks how he benefits, Martin said it's "by virtue of being a white male."

"Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black," said Webb.

legal analysis from CNN accuses black host benefiting from White Privilege. 

The extra funny part is that she claimed "her people" gave her the wrong information. I wonder why skin color was an important piece of imformation for her to have from her people.

Click on the audio link, for some absolute truth.

(01-16-2019, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Click on the audio link, for some absolute truth.

It was a stupid mistake, but it does nothing to prove that white privilege does not exist.
(01-16-2019, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Priceless

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/16/areva-martin-cnn-analyst-accuses-black-radio-host-white-privilege/2590841002/

legal analysis from CNN accuses black host benefiting from White Privilege. 

The extra funny part is that she claimed "her people" gave her the wrong information. I wonder why skin color was an important piece of imformation for her to have from her people.

Click on the audio link, for some absolute truth.

I think that is a very important piece of information to have if you are going to discuss someone's white privilege.
(01-17-2019, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was a stupid mistake, but it does nothing to prove that white privilege does not exist.

Of course it does. She said dude got where he was simply because he was a white male

(01-17-2019, 03:44 PM)Dill Wrote: I think that is a very important piece of information to have if you are going to discuss someone's white privilege.

Pretty sure the discussion was to be about White Privilege in general. Why would you need to know the host's color? 

But I'm assuming someone got fired and it wasn't the person falsely accusing another of advancing simply because of white privilege  

(01-17-2019, 05:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure the discussion was to be about White Privilege in general. Why would you need to know the host's color? 

But I'm assuming someone got fired and it wasn't the person falsely accusing another of advancing simply because of white privilege  

In this case the host was talking to a guy over the phone, and she told him that his white privilege caused him to miss something (I forget what). He reacted with surprise and she started explaining how he benefited from white privilege, then a picture of him flashed on the screen.  If I remember correctly, I saw this in passing.  The she said "I stand corrected."

So it was not the host, but the guy she was talking to on the phone.  If you are going to say someone benefits from white privilege, then its a good idea to know whether that person is white or black.
(01-17-2019, 05:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course it does. She said dude got where he was simply because he was a white male

And that does nothing to prove that white privilege does not exist.

If I mistakenly said you were lucky to be a Patriots fan does that prove that Patriot fans are not lucky?
(01-18-2019, 10:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And that does nothing to prove that white privilege does not exist.

If mistakenly said you were lucky to be a patriots fan does that prove that patriot fans are not lucky?

Wait so if someone makes a mistake that DOESN'T mean their entire line of reasoning is completely wrong?!?!

This could change the art of debate completely!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-17-2019, 11:59 PM)Dill Wrote: In this case the host was talking to a guy over the phone, and she told him that his white privilege caused him to miss something (I forget what). He reacted with surprise and she started explaining how he benefited from white privilege, then a picture of him flashed on the screen.  If I remember correctly, I saw this in passing.  The she said "I stand corrected."

So it was not the host, but the guy she was talking to on the phone.  If you are going to say someone benefits from white privilege, then its a good idea to know whether that person is white or black.

I agree with this or else they can call the whole concept BS, just as this man did.

Asking the board this question: Why was she compelled to apologize to the host because he was black/ Do we think she would have apologized if he mentioned all he did, but he was white?

(01-18-2019, 06:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree with this or else they can call the whole concept BS, just as this man did.

Asking the board this question: Why was she compelled to apologize to the host because he was black/ Do we think she would have apologized if he mentioned all he did, but he was white?

I think the host was a she. The guy on the phone was black.  She apologized or at least admitted a mistake in assuming he was white and therefore a beneficiary of white privilege.