Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Supremecists Slay 49 in NZ Mosques
Can't believe no one has started this thread yet.  Where is Dino?  Almost old news.

49 dead in terror attack at New Zealand mosques
https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/new-zealand-christchurch-shooting-intl/index.html

What we know about the terror attack suspect

One person has been charged with murder in connection with the terror attack on two mosques in New Zealand that left at least 49 people dead.

Here's what we know about the suspect:

He is 28 years old.
   Just before the attack, an account believed to belong to the gunman posted a link to an 87-page white nationalist manifesto online. The unsigned manifesto is filled with anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiments, as well as explanations for an attack.
   In the manifesto, he identifies himself as a white man, born in Australia, and lists the white nationalists who have inspired him.
   He will appear in court Saturday morning local time.

How language in the attacker's purported manifesto mimics the words of ISIS and al Qaeda

Analysis from CNN's Clarissa Ward

The language used in the 87-page manifesto, linked out in a social media post from an account that is believed to belong to one of the attackers, was similar to that used by ISIS and al Qaeda.

The manifesto is essentially a self-interview. Police believe this is the work of the primary suspect in this attack.

He talks about the attack being carried out with the blessing of the Reborn Knights of Templar, which is a reference to the Crusades, in the same way as we hear ISIS constantly referring to people from the west as the Crusaders. The idea of a leaderless network to inspire individual cells. That is textbook ISIS.

The language in the manifesto is deliberately almost playful at times, in a very provocative and incendiary way, and is clearly designed to provoke a horrific retaliation with the end goal being creating friction and all-out conflict between different populations in various western liberal democracies.

He also talks about wanting to precipitate civil war and this is exactly what we hear in al Qaeda’s manual, “The Management of Savagery,” or with ISIS's idea of eliminating the so-called “gray zone” of co-existence between Muslims and the West. The idea being that you use wanton acts of vicious savagery with the objective of causing retaliation, escalating violence and conflict in countries that have Muslim minorities. He’s trying to stoke tensions, to create a clash of civilizations.

To me, there’s almost a symbiotic relationship happening right now between extreme terrorists on the far-right and between some of these other terrorist organizations that we’re more familiar with.

The other thing that’s interesting, and disconcerting, frankly, is how much of the language and ideas he talks about have also seeped into mainstream political rhetoric.

He talks a lot about the idea of invasion, that Muslim migrants are invading white Western countries. He talks about the birth rate, the idea of replacement, that white culture is being replaced. We’ve heard such words coming from the President of the United States. We’ve heard them coming from far-right governments in Europe, whether it be Italy, whether it be Hungary.

Based on conversations I’ve been having with Muslims throughout the day, this is something that’s deeply concerning, the idea that the kind of hate speech that belonged in far-right ideology has permeated into more mainstream public discourse.

When you look at the zeitgeist and the rise of the far right in Europe and the US, ideas that were once considered as taboo to talk about are now being flaunted and public discourse invariably sets a tone.

There’s not necessarily a clear linkage in terms of causality -- not everyone who hears this sort of rhetoric picks up a gun and goes and kills 49 people in a mosque -- but you can’t look at one without looking at the broader environment in which it’s thriving.

Both sides do it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I posted about it in the Steve King White supremacist thread.
(03-15-2019, 02:24 PM)Dill Wrote: Can't believe no one has started this thread yet.  Where is Dino?  Almost old news.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/new-zealand-christchurch-shooting-intl/index.html

One person has been charged with murder in connection with the terror attack on two mosques in New Zealand that left at least 49 people dead.

He is 28 years old.
   Just before the attack, an account believed to belong to the gunman posted a link to an 87-page white nationalist manifesto online. The unsigned manifesto is filled with anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiments, as well as explanations for an attack.
   In the manifesto, he identifies himself as a white man, born in Australia, and lists the white nationalists who have inspired him.

How language in the attacker's purported manifesto mimics the words of ISIS and al Qaeda

The language used in the 87-page manifesto, linked out in a social media post from an account that is believed to belong to one of the attackers, was similar to that used by ISIS and al Qaeda.

The manifesto is essentially a self-interview. Police believe this is the work of the primary suspect in this attack.

He talks about the attack being carried out with the blessing of the Reborn Knights of Templar, which is a reference to the Crusades, in the same way as we hear ISIS constantly referring to people from the west as the Crusaders. The idea of a leaderless network to inspire individual cells. That is textbook ISIS.

The language in the manifesto is deliberately almost playful at times, in a very provocative and incendiary way, and is clearly designed to provoke a horrific retaliation with the end goal being creating friction and all-out conflict between different populations in various western liberal democracies.

He also talks about wanting to precipitate civil war and this is exactly what we hear in al Qaeda’s manual, “The Management of Savagery,” or with ISIS's idea of eliminating the so-called “gray zone” of co-existence between Muslims and the West. The idea being that you use wanton acts of vicious savagery with the objective of causing retaliation, escalating violence and conflict in countries that have Muslim minorities. He’s trying to stoke tensions, to create a clash of civilizations.

To me, there’s almost a symbiotic relationship happening right now between extreme terrorists on the far-right and between some of these other terrorist organizations that we’re more familiar with.

The other thing that’s interesting, and disconcerting, frankly, is how much of the language and ideas he talks about have also seeped into mainstream political rhetoric.

He talks a lot about the idea of invasion, that Muslim migrants are invading white Western countries. He talks about the birth rate, the idea of replacement, that white culture is being replaced. We’ve heard such words coming from the President of the United States. We’ve heard them coming from far-right governments in Europe, whether it be Italy, whether it be Hungary.

Based on conversations I’ve been having with Muslims throughout the day, this is something that’s deeply concerning, the idea that the kind of hate speech that belonged in far-right ideology has permeated into more mainstream public discourse.

When you look at the zeitgeist and the rise of the far right in Europe and the US, ideas that were once considered as taboo to talk about are now being flaunted and public discourse invariably sets a tone.

There’s not necessarily a clear linkage in terms of causality -- not everyone who hears this sort of rhetoric picks up a gun and goes and kills 49 people in a mosque -- but you can’t look at one without looking at the broader environment in which it’s thriving.

I've been following the news.  Just sad.

So many evil/stupid/hate filled people in this world.  Cowards are what they are.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-15-2019, 02:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I posted about it in the Steve King White supremacist thread.

But Yoji, what does white supremacist murder in NZ have to do with the US?  Hmm

New Zealand mosques' attack suspect praised Trump in manifesto
A suspected gunman behind the Christchurch attacks has dubbed the US president as 'a symbol of renewed white identity'.

The Australian-born suspect who shot dead dozens of Muslim worshippers in Christchurch, New Zealand, has published a manifesto praising US President Donald Trump and Anders Breivik, the Norwegian white supremacist who murdered 77 people in Norway in 2011.

Trump, whose rhetoric is sometimes aligned with the far-right in the US, condemned the "horrible massacre" in a post on Twitter. 

"My warmest sympathy and best wishes goes out to the people of New Zealand after the horrible massacre in the mosques. 49 innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many more seriously injured. The US stands by New Zealand for anything we can do," he wrote.

So far, it looks like the Manifesto is censored, for understandable reasons.  STill, it would be very interesting to read it.

Our Northern neighbor's prime minister was evidently not mentioned in the manifesto.

Canada's Justin Trudeau: "We must all confront Islamophobia"

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the terror attack in New Zealand and vowed to work with the country "to take action against violent extremism."

Here's what he said in a statement:
"To the people of New Zealand and to Muslim communities around the world: You are in our hearts and minds. We join in your grief and stand with you at this incredibly difficult time."

Trudeau also said the world must "recognize diversity as a source of strength, and not a threat."

"We must all confront Islamophobia and work to create a world in which all people—no matter their faith, where they live, or where they were born—can feel safe and secure," he said.
jesus. can't even get any empty-ass thoughts and prayers?

really sad to think US citizens who are being assholes just to make a buck on the internet are now making people in far off lands kill others. need to preemptively toss these deranged asshats in a well somewhere.
I can't believe a politician there really tried to blame Muslim immigrants for this, "It's usually them doing this".

What makes someone do something like that after 50 people died?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-15-2019, 02:52 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: jesus.  can't even get any empty-ass thoughts and prayers?

really sad to think US citizens who are being assholes just to make a buck on the internet are now making people in far off lands kill others.   need to preemptively toss these deranged asshats in a well somewhere.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders sent her thoughts and prayers earlier today. 

They should be in NZ by now.
Horrible event, despicable act.  I only hope this doesn't fuel support for further limiting of civil liberties such as free speech.  People like this guy and organizations like ISIS and Al Qaeda want to foment large scale conflict between ideologies.  Reacting to this by attacking bedrock Western values, such as free speech, will only be playing directly into their hands.
If this was a man of color, it'd be a terrorist attack.

But no one wants to talk about why it never is when it's not a person of color committing the act.

I've said it once and will say it again, color shouldn't determine rather Americans consider these attacks acts of terror or not.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-15-2019, 02:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Horrible event, despicable act.  I only hope this doesn't fuel support for further limiting of civil liberties such as free speech.  People like this guy and organizations like ISIS and Al Qaeda want to foment large scale conflict between ideologies.  Reacting to this by attacking bedrock Western values, such as free speech, will only be playing directly into their hands.

Agreed. Both groups want to eliminate the "grey zone." 

Can't let them.
(03-15-2019, 04:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: If this was a man of color, it'd be a terrorist attack.

But no one wants to talk about why it never is when it's not a person of color committing the act.

I think people are calling this one a terrorist attack.  Though some are confused about who is ultimately responsible--the shooters or the victims.
(03-15-2019, 02:24 PM)Dill Wrote: Can't believe no one has started this thread yet.  Where is Dino?  Almost old news.

He is 28 years old.

Both sides do it?

My biggest problem when it comes to comparing white supremacists to Islamic extremists is that it forgets one very important factor. Pretty much anyone can be an Islamic extremist if they follow the faith. 

Only white people can really be white supremacists.

My point being, the two aren't really all that comparable in terms of the problems they create.
(03-15-2019, 04:14 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: My biggest problem when it comes to comparing white supremacists to Islamic extremists is that it forgets one very important factor. Pretty much anyone can be an Islamic extremist if they follow the faith. 

My point being, the two aren't really all that comparable in terms of the problems they create.

HAHAHAAHAHAAH   LMAO

What a fantastic ending to this week.  Wow.  

Did I read this correctly?  WOW.
(03-15-2019, 04:14 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: My biggest problem when it comes to comparing white supremacists to Islamic extremists is that it forgets one very important factor. Pretty much anyone can be an Islamic extremist if they follow the faith. 

Clayton Bigsby disagrees.

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/frontline-clayton-bigsby-pt-1-uncensored
(03-15-2019, 04:18 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: HAHAHAAHAHAAH   LMAO

What a fantastic ending to this week.  Wow.  

Did I read this correctly?  WOW.

I made you laugh and I didn't even tell a joke.

Man I'm good.
(03-15-2019, 04:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Clayton Bigsby disagrees.

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/chappelles-show/videos/frontline-clayton-bigsby-pt-1-uncensored

Jesus christ. I forgot about that skit. Rep for you sir.
(03-15-2019, 04:14 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: My point being, the two aren't really all that comparable in terms of the problems they create.

You lost me here.

What exactly is different about the piles of dead bodies?
(03-15-2019, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You lost me here.

What exactly is different about the piles of dead bodies?

The amount?
(03-15-2019, 04:42 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The amount?

The number?

You might have a point there.

Short of a nuclear war, I doubt we'll never see another body count like the one the Nazis piled up.

LOL bit of a non sequitur there. 

Or how are you measuring "problems"? And for whom?

Would it be fair to say that pretty much any white person can be a white supremacist?

There are only 850 million of us honks, so that falls short of the number of Muslims worldwide.