Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White minority
A funny thing happened on January 21, 2003. On that day, the Census Bureau announced that Hispanics were now the largest minority in the U.S. Newspapers and the media announced this fact to groups who greeted the news in different ways. For the most part, Hispanics generally thought this was good news as they would have a bit more say in things. Black people were a little concerned about being relegated to an even lower rung of the social ladder (if that were possible) and having less say in things. And, for the most part, white people were indifferent.

Except for one thing. The news stories also added a particular note. They added a projection from the Census Bureau that by approximately 2050, white people would become a minority in the U.S.

Not a lot was said about this at the time, as I recall. I find this rather interesting. You would think the news that your race could become a minority within your country during your lifetime would have been pretty darn shocking and that people would want to discuss it. What would life be like if another race were a majority here? How would things change?

I suspect a lot of what currently drives fears about illegal immigration (and, as a result, policies concerning it) is related to this news from 15 years ago. I believe that many white people in this country have had a passive-aggressive reaction to this news. That is not an indictment of white people. In fact, I think it is to be expected. Or at least should have been expected. Change is on the horizon and people are concerned about what the future holds. Isn't that what sometimes drives insane leaps in the price of oil on the stock market?

What are your thoughts?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
If Hispanics become the majority race in the U.S., then that tells me Latin American countries have had a lot problems for them to leave their native countries. On top of that, the U.S. would have failed in it's immigration policies. Not being racist at all, but I hope this never happens though. If a race is to have majority status by numbers going forward in the modern world, then let it be through the naturalization of time hopefully. Not by a huge influx of illegal immigrants.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-17-2018, 02:00 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: A funny thing happened on January 21, 2003. On that day, the Census Bureau announced that Hispanics were now the largest minority in the U.S. Newspapers and the media announced this fact to groups who greeted the news in different ways. For the most part, Hispanics generally thought this was good news as they would have a bit more say in things. Black people were a little concerned about being relegated to an even lower rung of the social ladder (if that were possible) and having less say in things. And, for the most part, white people were indifferent.

Except for one thing. The news stories also added a particular note. They added a projection from the Census Bureau that by approximately 2050, white people would become a minority in the U.S.

Not a lot was said about this at the time, as I recall. I find this rather interesting. You would think the news that your race could become a minority within your country during your lifetime would have been pretty darn shocking and that people would want to discuss it. What would life be like if another race were a majority here? How would things change?

I suspect a lot of what currently drives fears about illegal immigration (and, as a result, policies concerning it) is related to this news from 15 years ago. I believe that many white people in this country have had a passive-aggressive reaction to this news. That is not an indictment of white people. In fact, I think it is to be expected. Or at least should have been expected. Change is on the horizon and people are concerned about what the future holds. Isn't that what sometimes drives insane leaps in the price of oil on the stock market?

What are your thoughts?

I look forward to being a minority. Everything that's ever been said as an excuse for some to be racist to white people, I'm going to use. I'm going to take advantage of any and all social programs geared towards helping minorities. It'll be a great day! ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-17-2018, 03:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I look forward to being a minority. Everything that's ever been said as an excuse for some to be racist to white people, I'm going to use. I'm going to take advantage of any and all social programs geared towards helping minorities. It'll be a great day! ThumbsUp

I love this response! ThumbsUp
(05-17-2018, 02:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If Hispanics become the majority race in the U.S., then that tells me Latin American countries have had a lot problems for them to leave their native countries. On top of that, the U.S. would have failed in it's immigration policies. Not being racist at all, but I hope this never happens though. If a race is to have majority status by numbers going forward in the modern world, then let it be through the naturalization of time hopefully. Not by a huge influx of illegal immigrants.

I believe the Census numbers only refer to Hispanics who were already U.S. citizens, and that the projections were based upon comparative birthrates.
(05-17-2018, 03:09 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I love this response! ThumbsUp

I love your response to that response.  ThumbsUp

Mellow
I wonder if the passive-aggressive bit you spoke of is less about race becoming a minority, and more about fears of the culture becoming a minority.

If you thought it was annoying when you had to actively choose English over Spanish in your automated phone call, just wait until you become a minority and they are the majority..... that sort of thing. Less about skin color, and more about changes in way of life.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(05-17-2018, 03:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I look forward to being a minority. Everything that's ever been said as an excuse for some to be racist to white people, I'm going to use. I'm going to take advantage of any and all social programs geared towards helping minorities. It'll be a great day! ThumbsUp

Exactly!  I'm going to waltz into the welfare office and claim that I'm a poor downtrodden minority and demand a welfare check.  Then I'm going to apply for a job that's way beyond my paygrade and gleefully check the "WHITE MALE" box and laugh as they are forced to hire me.  Ugh , I can't wait.
(05-17-2018, 03:12 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I believe the Census numbers only refer to Hispanics who were already U.S. citizens, and that the projections were based upon comparative birthrates.

True. I have to think (hope) birthrates have decreased since then across the board of all races, but I honestly dont know.

(05-17-2018, 02:00 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: What are your thoughts?

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep f----n' everybody 'til they're all the same color."  -  Jay Billington Bulworth

Cool 
(05-17-2018, 03:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wonder if the passive-aggressive bit you spoke of is less about race becoming a minority, and more about fears of the culture becoming a minority.

If you thought it was annoying when you had to actively choose English over Spanish in your automated phone call, just wait until you become a minority and they are the majority..... that sort of thing. Less about skin color, and more about changes in way of life.

Serious question, is pushing 1 for English really all that upsetting?  I never quite got the issue with that. Hell, the ATM I use has about 7 options for languages and yet no one has ever told me that people who speak Mandarin are going to take over.
(05-17-2018, 03:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  "All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep f----n' everybody 'til they're all the same color."  -  Jay Billington Bulworth

Cool 

[Image: im_ready_game_of_thrones.gif]

(05-17-2018, 03:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly!  I'm going to waltz into the welfare office and claim that I'm a poor downtrodden minority and demand a welfare check.  Then I'm going to apply for a job that's way beyond my paygrade and gleefully check the "WHITE MALE" box and laugh as they are forced to hire me.  Ugh , I can't wait.

Yep, if they try to say I'm not qualified, I'm going to cry racism and laugh all the way to the bank! ThumbsUp
It seems I remember this study as well and what I remember it saying is that Whites will be a minority compared to ever other race combined. They will still be the majority race, so white folks may have to wait a little longer to get their free stuff.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-17-2018, 03:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I love your response to that response.  ThumbsUp

Mellow

I love your response to my response of your response! ThumbsUp
(05-17-2018, 03:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems I remember this study as well and what I remember it saying is that Whites will be a minority compared to ever other race combined. They will still be the majority race, so white folks may have to wait a little longer to get their free stuff.

Thanks, Buzz Killington.  Whatever
(05-17-2018, 03:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wonder if the passive-aggressive bit you spoke of is less about race becoming a minority, and more about fears of the culture becoming a minority.

(05-17-2018, 03:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: True. I have to think (hope) birthrates have decreased since then across the board of all races, but I honestly dont know.

This hits upon something that I have felt for a long time. The change in racial numbers is predicted to take decades. We have a culture here that assimilates other cultures into itself (sounds a bit like the Borg from Star Trek, eh!). It adopts things from cultures that it likes and rejects other stuff. At the same time, it also imposes or introduces aspects of other cultures on the new cultures. This is why my Italian friend from high school now leads a Celtic band and my best friend (who is black) sings country and western music at a VFW post every other Friday night.

The stuff in the pot will melt, right.

One of the aspects of modern Western culture is low birthrates. I suspect birthrates for Hispanic citizens will eventually decrease to match those of other races as Hispanics become more assimilated into American culture. In the end ther may or may not be more Hispanic people in the U.S. than white people, but it won't really matter.
(05-17-2018, 04:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: This hits upon something that I have felt for a long time. The change in racial numbers is predicted to take decades. We have a culture here that assimilates other cultures into itself (sounds a bit like the Borg from Star Trek, eh!). It adopts things from cultures that it likes and rejects other stuff. At the same time, it also imposes or introduces aspects of other cultures on the new cultures. This is why my Italian friend from high school now leads a Celtic band and my best friend (who is black) sings country and western music at a VFW post every other Friday night.

The stuff in the pot will melt, right.

Another example is how my ancestors came here from Ireland and Italy against the will of "real Americans" as it was feared they were nothing but lawless rapists and thieves who would refuse to assimilate and speak English.  Now American Irish and Italians are considered regular ol' white folk and they are joining their Anglican brothers in banding against the newest races of thieving and rapey immigrants who are totally going to ruin this country.

I shed I tear, I do.  Just think about it, the great grandchildren of today's rapey animal immigrants Donald Trump wants you to fear could be banding together with your OWN grandchildren to demand the president of 2068 do something about whatever dangerous wave of immigrants is hell-bent on destroying America then.  Melt on, o great pot.  Melt on.
(05-17-2018, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Another example is how my ancestors came here from Ireland and Italy against the will of "real Americans" as it was feared they were nothing but lawless rapists and thieves who would refuse to assimilate and speak English.  Now American Irish and Italians are considered regular ol' white folk and they are joining their Anglican brothers in banding against the newest races of thieving and rapey immigrants who are totally going to ruin this country.

I shed I tear, I do.  Just think about it, the great grandchildren of today's rapey animal immigrants Donald Trump wants you to fear could be banding together with your OWN grandchildren to demand the president of 2068 do something about whatever dangerous wave of immigrants is hell-bent on destroying America then.  Melt on, o great pot.  Melt on.

Hey! Beating up on the new guys is a time-honored tradition there, pal. Get with the pogrom!
(05-17-2018, 05:12 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Hey! Beating up on the new guys is a time-honored tradition there, pal. Get with the pogrom!

Hey, I'm on board!  Everyone who got to this country a second later than my ancestors did should rightly shove off.  Hell, if I had a time machine I'd go back to 1914 and kick my great granfather right in the junk and tell him to get his stinky ass back to Calabria!  He'd probably mutter some gibberish in not English and then try to rape me, or something.