Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White plus a little gloating
Cool It is common for Bengals fans to always talking about 'next' year!
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:18 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Cool  It is common for Bengals fans to always talking about 'next' year!

Bengals motto : There's always next season 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2018, 01:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In my opinion, the very first thing that should be looked at, when considering a defensive player's value, is open field tacking ability.  The object of the defense is to stop the progress by putting the ball carrier on the ground.  All of the "wicked hits" in the world don't mean a thing, if you can't break it down and wrap the man up.

“Wicked hits” are becoming flagged more and more anyway. The game is shifting more to textbook tackling and coverage ability, not hard hits. It would be dumb for Bengals to continue to ignore today’s LB mold in favor of the outdated one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
LB'er is an issue in coverage and the entire defense is in need of upgrading in tackling as well.

But will lose my mind if OL is not addressed in first round.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 11:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: LB'er is an issue in coverage and the entire defense is in need of upgrading in tackling as well.

But will lose my mind if OL is not addressed in first round.

There are some good OT this year unlike last year.  But may be worth the pick because as bad as the O line has been, backers have been worse.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 12:28 PM)Goalpost Wrote: White's a great player.  But I'm really following Josh Allen as well.  White is 6' 240.  Allen is 6'4 250.  While Allen is more of an edge, he also drops in coverage.  

So far this year.  White has 76 tackles, 7 TFL, 1 sack.  Allen has 56 tackles, 14 1/2 TFL, 10 sacks.

(10-28-2018, 05:45 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He's a top 15 talent. We'd be absolutely lucky and would sprint to the podium if have there when we pick.
Allen while maybe not a pure off Ball LB would still have a ton of value for us.
1.) He can play base Sam  LB for us . He can set an edge and has enough athletic ability to cover TEs and RBs. 
2.) Lawson just tore his ACL we may need to think about an edge player to replace him. If Lawson is healthy then it doesn't hurt to have another pass rushers on the roster. Especially when you consider that 70% of games are played in Nickle and you really only need 2 LB on a field at once.
3.) I role the dice and draft him if he is there because I think the talent out weighs the need value. Also I think he can do it all; while he may feel/want to be a full time pass rusher he also can be an effective off Ball LB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The NFL is turning into the Big 12. Everyone is running some sort of spread offense and there is truly no room for anyone in the back 7 that can't cover.

That being said, base nickel is going to be a thing of the past, it's going to be base dime.

Give me a linebacker that can run, cover, do it all. We will probably see more 3 safety sets with 4 corners. IF White can play all 3 downs and cover a TE or RB then I'm all for it, if not, I'll pass.

Also - I wouldn't gloat too much, I've seen Hernandez get beaten like a drum several times this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 06:18 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Cool  It is common for Bengals fans to always talking about 'next' year!

Pretty sure this is not exclusive to Bengal fans.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 02:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The NFL is turning into the Big 12.  Everyone is running some sort of spread offense and there is truly no room for anyone in the back 7 that can't cover.

That being said, base nickel is going to be a thing of the past, it's going to be base dime.  

Give me a linebacker that can run, cover, do it all.  We will probably see more 3 safety sets with 4 corners.  IF White can play all 3 downs and cover a TE or RB then I'm all for it, if not, I'll pass.

Also - I wouldn't gloat too much, I've seen Hernandez get beaten like a drum several times this year.
Teams will eventually go back to running the football at some point because the emphasis on ilegal contact will go down which will help defenses. I think the Base defense is still going to be Nickle for a while.
J24

Reply/Quote
I've not had a chance to watch much football (especially college) this year since I just moved to Nashville but I've been hearing/reading that Alabama's Mack Wilson is a very good LB that excels in coverage. If he's as good as advertised, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a Bengal. Especially if he could be available on Day 2 such that the Bengals can address OL in Rd 1.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Teams will eventually go back to running the football at some point because the emphasis on ilegal contact will go down which will help defenses. I think the Base defense is still going to be Nickle for a while.

I disagree that the NFL is going to become more relaxed on illegal contact and big hits. There's been nothing to indicate that at all.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 11:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I disagree that the NFL is going to become more relaxed on illegal contact and big hits. There's been nothing to indicate that at all.

The big hits probably not(which isn't really a big deal) but this happens with illegal contact all the time.  It spikes every 4 or 5 years then it goes back down. In fact come late November it will be called a lot less than it is now.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 12:13 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Allen while maybe not a pure off Ball LB would still have a ton of value for us.
1.) He can play base Sam  LB for us . He can set an edge and has enough athletic ability to cover TEs and RBs. 
2.) Lawson just tore his ACL we may need to think about an edge player to replace him. If Lawson is healthy then it doesn't hurt to have another pass rushers on the roster. Especially when you consider that 70% of games are played in Nickle and you really only need 2 LB on a field at once.
3.) I role the dice and draft him if he is there because I think the talent out weighs the need value. Also I think he can do it all; while he may feel/want to be a full time pass rusher he also can be an effective off Ball LB.
I agree that Allen is great. And he'd be good in a 3-4. 4-3 as well but he's a edge rusher that has the ability to play lber. That said white is a better Blitzer from the lber spot which we never have had, and is a better athlete and can run better with tes and rbs. Honestly it's splitting the slightest of hairs, but if both are there I'm taking white.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:02 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The big hits probably not(which isn't really a big deal) but this happens with illegal contact all the time.  It spikes every 4 or 5 years then it goes back down. In fact come late November it will be called a lot less than it is now.

I've not noticed that. Do you have statistical data to back that up?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:41 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are some good OT this year unlike last year.  But may be worth the pick because as bad as the O line has been, backers have been worse.  

Agree LBer has been horrible for us this year and am one of the few who wanted to trade Burfict to Raiders when rumor thread started. 

With that being said not sure they do it. Vigil was a high pick recently and has played his best this year when healthy, Brown has been going with foot injury and Bengals recently invested in him with trade as well. The love most have for Burfict is well documented on here. 

Plus they really have not played together enough to have chemistry with each other while all are healthy. Think they will play better down stretch. Hoping anyway. 

Not saying we do not need LBer and have mocked one in first round many times the last 5 years but see the OL as much bigger need presently. 

Yet both are needs that should be addressed in offseason as well as NT, although Billings is starting to play better too.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree LBer has been horrible for us this year and am one of the few who wanted to trade Burfict to Raiders when rumor thread started. 

With that being said not sure they do it. Vigil was a high pick recently and has played his best this year when healthy, Brown has been going with foot injury and Bengals recently invested in him with trade as well. The love most have for Burfict is well documented on here. 

Plus they really have not played together enough to have chemistry with each other while all are healthy. Think they will play better down stretch. Hoping anyway. 

Not saying we do not need LBer and have mocked one in first round many times the last 5 years but see the OL as much bigger need presently. 

Yet both are needs that should be addressed in offseason as well as NT, although Billings is starting to play better too.  
That's been a very please tell suprise!! Billings been actually getting some major push! When Glasgow comes back as Glasgow was breaking out as well our nt position is alright imo. A true 3tech is what we need. A dremont Jones if he falls to 3 would be perfect.
Reply/Quote
I see us getting a top 10 pick this year. Devin White or Josh Allen could be that that guy. The OTs in this draft are not worth a top 10. Here's my first 4 rounds.

Devin White, ILB, LSU 
Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia 
Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State 
Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:19 PM)Shady Wrote: I see us getting a top 10 pick this year. Devin White or Josh Allen could be that that guy. The OTs in this draft are not worth a top 10. Here's my first 4 rounds.

Devin White, ILB, LSU 
Replace the second round guard with Ford from Oklahoma or what's his face from Boston college. Both better and will be there. Also disagree with ur statement about tackle. Trey Adams is a top 5 talent in any draft. That said we need lber more. I  would take white then trade up into rd1 for Adams.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 10:16 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Replace the second round guard with Ford from Oklahoma or what's his face from Boston college. Both better and will be there. Also disagree with ur statement about tackle. Trey Adams is a top 5 talent in any draft. That said we need lber more. I  would take white then trade up into rd1 for Adams.

Adams' back injury might be sending him back to the Huskies for another year. If he does come out this year, not sure we risk taking him. The injury sounds serious. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:19 PM)Shady Wrote: I see us getting a top 10 pick this year. Devin White or Josh Allen could be that that guy. The OTs in this draft are not worth a top 10. Here's my first 4 rounds.

Devin White, ILB, LSU 

If the Bengals are drafting top 10 it might be hard to pass on a couple of the defensive linemen.

I know the Bengals really need a RT, a TE, and a LB but if someone like Ed Oliver falls to them he would be really hard to pass on.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote