Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White privilege bolstered by teaching math
We should be so grateful to have liberal academia there to open our eyes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24/white-privilege-bolstered-by-teaching-math-university-professor-says.html

Doesn't this professor know that Arabs invented algebra?
(10-27-2017, 09:17 AM)Vlad Wrote: We should be so grateful to have liberal academia there to open our eyes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24/white-privilege-bolstered-by-teaching-math-university-professor-says.html

Poor white people.  Can't we let them have ANYTHING without a scholarly article discussing it?

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The abacus is the tool of the racist. You notice the below image has white beads to represent the white race, red to represent the Native American, and yellow to represent the Asian. Blue and green to represent the land and water of the world. Where are the black and brown beads?

[Image: f772dc8d-3f03-4341-8ac8-10c5876e729f_1.3...nBg=FFFFFF]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Apparently Asians didn't get the memo.

A bit ago...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/sats/etc/gap.html
Quote:The average score for Asian Americans, Asians and Pacific Islanders on the SAT I math was 32 points higher than that for whites.

More recently...
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/09/03/sat-scores-drop-and-racial-gaps-remain-large
Quote:Mathmatics
Asian American: 598
Black: 428
White: 534

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Seems like Guiterrez is making sensible, well-grounded points about both the history of mathematics and present day teaching of the subject. Thanks for posting that, Vlad.

On the downside, of course, the Fox audience will take this as more evidence they are being called "racist" by college professors. Their anger will be channeled into tax cuts for the rich.
(10-27-2017, 04:03 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like Guiterrez is making sensible, well-grounded points about both the history of mathematics and present day teaching of the subject.  Thanks for posting that, Vlad.

On the downside, of course, the Fox audience will take this as more evidence they are being called "racist" by college professors.  Their anger will be channeled into tax cuts for the rich.

Speaking of audience. I has no doubt that you and those of your ilk are Gutierrez's target. As they consider comments such as:

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” to be a sensible, well-grounded post.

Quick question:  When you think of math do you see color?

(10-27-2017, 04:03 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like Guiterrez is making sensible, well-grounded points about both the history of mathematics and present day teaching of the subject.  Thanks for posting that, Vlad.

On the downside, of course, the Fox audience will take this as more evidence they are being called "racist" by college professors.  Their anger will be channeled into tax cuts for the rich.

Dill you just don't understand how kept down white people have been!

They can't get credit for anything. They get blamed for things done by OTHER white people. They can't get hold power.

They have it hard.  We should stop making fun of them....
I mean, really, if a supposed academic professional is going to spew that kind of garbage they probably shouldn't be teaching at university.
--------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious. Has anyone expressing an opinion, negative or positive, about Dr. Gutierrez' statements read the entirety of them in context? Have you read the supporting documentation and statistical information, if it exists? Can you explain your reasoning for agreeing or disagreeing with her statements in a manner that displays an understanding of the base sociological and anthropological concepts used to make these assertions?
(10-27-2017, 09:17 AM)Vlad Wrote: We should be so grateful to have liberal academia there to open our eyes.

Quote:“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says,
Quote:Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics,

Honestly, who the f*** cares who gets credit for creating or developing mathematics? Does it matter if it was largely developed by white people or black people or brown people or whatever? I mean, if it turns out that mathematics was created by a race of green aliens, does that mean that we all don't have to do math now? Seriously? Who CARES? Well, besides this ... professor, that is.

Quote:Further, she says mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness.”

What? I would like to hear the context for this particular statement because I don't see how it makes sense. 

And let me add my obligatory, there's no such thing as white privilege.
(10-27-2017, 04:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Dill you just don't understand how kept down white people have been!

They can't get credit for anything. They get blamed for things done by OTHER white people. They can't get hold power.

They have it hard.  We should stop making fun of them....

An inane race based statement is inane regardless of which race is the subject.  Quite slobbering all over your buddy, I'm embarrassed for you.

(10-27-2017, 04:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm curious. Has anyone expressing an opinion, negative or positive, about Dr. Gutierrez' statements read the entirety of them in context? Have you read the supporting documentation and statistical information, if it exists? Can you explain your reasoning for agreeing or disagreeing with her statements in a manner that displays an understanding of the base sociological and anthropological concepts used to make these assertions?

I'd be interested in reading it, but I'd also point out that her wording seems unnecessarily confrontational.  When I'm writing a report on an incident I am careful to ensure my words convey an accurate picture without being unduly prejudicial.  I could state someone was "lying" or I could state someone's statement was "less than factually accurate".  I'm conveying the same information, just doing so in a less inflammatory manner.  If, as an academic, your purpose is to provoke discussion on a topic or view a problem from another angle it is very poor form indeed to use inflammatory language that will instantly shut off the concept of discussion or debate among potential reviewers of your work.

Additionally, as was correctly pointed out above, Asians typically outperform "whites" in the area of mathematics.  This isn't really in dispute and is rather common knowledge.  This being the case, this academic either consider Asians to be white or they discount the performance of Asians altogether.  Neither seems to adhere to anything resembling a rigorous academic standard.
(10-27-2017, 04:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd be interested in reading it, but I'd also point out that her wording seems unnecessarily confrontational.  When I'm writing a report on an incident I am careful to ensure my words convey an accurate picture without being unduly prejudicial.  I could state someone was "lying" or I could state someone's statement was "less than factually accurate".  I'm conveying the same information, just doing so in a less inflammatory manner.  If, as an academic, your purpose is to provoke discussion on a topic or view a problem from another angle it is very poor form indeed to use inflammatory language that will instantly shut off the concept of discussion or debate among potential reviewers of your work.

If she were writing for a journal, I'd agree with you. This publication is a different animal (and not something I am all too familiar with, either). I'd have to read the works of other authors in a similar publication to get a good feel for how the information is typically presented. Though context with the wording could help with understanding the language choice, we just don't know. I went to go check it out, but you have to buy the book (my university network login couldn't help me, this time). And I'm not ponying up $40 for you all. LOL

(10-27-2017, 04:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Additionally, as was correctly pointed out above, Asians typically outperform "whites" in the area of mathematics.  This isn't really in dispute and is rather common knowledge.  This being the case, this academic either consider Asians to be white or they discount the performance of Asians altogether.  Neither seems to adhere to anything resembling a rigorous academic standard.

Again, differences in the types of publications when looking at standards. Also, we don't know what may have been said regarding Asians because of selective pieces used for the news story.
(10-27-2017, 04:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm curious. Has anyone expressing an opinion, negative or positive, about Dr. Gutierrez' statements read the entirety of them in context? Have you read the supporting documentation and statistical information, if it exists? Can you explain your reasoning for agreeing or disagreeing with her statements in a manner that displays an understanding of the base sociological and anthropological concepts used to make these assertions?

I did not.  I probably won't.  I'm not big on mathematical papers by scholars.  Not my thing.  But I also trust that if she is "respected" and has several publications she must do good research and have an idea what she is talking about.

I also just dig white people get all up in arms over EVERYTHING that might be "anti-white".

Smirk
(10-27-2017, 04:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: I did not.  I probably won't.  I'm not big on mathematical papers by scholars.  Not my thing.  But I also trust that if she is "respected" and has several publications she must do good research and have an idea what she is talking about.

I also just dig white people get all up in arms over EVERYTHING that might be "anti-white".

Smirk

It's actually a social sciences article. Her field of study is equity in mathematics education, so it's more of a social sciences thing.

And her CV is impressive. I've seen better, but it's got some heft to it.
(10-27-2017, 04:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually a social sciences article. Her field of study is equity in mathematics education, so it's more of a social sciences thing.

And her CV is impressive. I've seen better, but it's got some heft to it.

I've pre-scheduled all my heavy reading for when the kids are out of the house...sometime in the next 6-10 years.   Smirk

I am assuming Dill did as he pointed to "sensible, well-grounded points about both the history of mathematics and present day teaching of the subject."

All I have to go on is the quotes from the OP and that is why I referenced them.  I will say I find it odd that a mathematics teacher would point to the societal impact/ perception of mathematics. I know how to shoot a gun; however, I may not be the best person to speak on their impact on society.  

(10-27-2017, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I am assuming Dill did as he pointed to "sensible, well-grounded points about both the history of mathematics and present day teaching of the subject."

All I have to go on is the quotes from the OP and that is why I referenced them.  I will say I find it odd that a mathematics teacher would point to the societal impact/ perception of mathematics. I know how to shoot a gun; however, I may not be the best person to speak on their impact on society.  

https://education.illinois.edu/faculty/rg1

Probably because she's not just a "mathematics teacher"?
(10-27-2017, 05:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://education.illinois.edu/faculty/rg1

Probably because she's not just a "mathematics teacher"?

Ah, I just saw something very telling happen in your post.

Yes, it makes more since given the fact the she not "just" a math teacher.

(10-27-2017, 05:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ah, I just saw something very telling happen in your post.

Yes, it makes more since given the fact the she not "just" a math teacher.

Point was "why would a mathematics teacher" left out that that's not all she is and why she writes about what she does.

Glad you see the error in your presumption. Rock On

Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]