Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitlock: People Are Afraid to Criticize Tomlin Cause He's Black
Jason Whitlock, who happens to be black, says that people are afraid to criticize Mike Tomlin because he's black.

He claims that Tomlin's coddled and is treated differently because he's black and that he and his coaches are out-of-control. He notes how Bill Belichick would be shredded for doing the exact things that Tomlin does.

He mentions how his team and coaches are out-of-control and that they're all clueless, but the media is afraid to come down on him because he's black.

I think that him being black plays a large part in it, but I also think that him coaching for the Steelers, who are a winning franchise and above scrutiny, also plays a part in it because people are afraid to condemn the empire.

I think that even some Steelers fans might hate him and his antics, but because he's black, they're afraid to speak-out.
Reply/Quote
I think it has a little more to do with past success and being in a big market for such a long time. Does him being black have something to do with it? Maybe. Idk.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The overall success has more to do with it than anything. I've always thought Whitlock was a blowhard and this doesn't do anything to change my mind. That they get more of a pass, i agree with but i'd point to the success.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Jason Whitlock, who happens to be black, says that people are afraid to criticize Mike Tomlin because he's black.

He claims that Tomlin's coddled and is treated differently because he's black and that he and his coaches are out-of-control.  He notes how Bill Belichick would be shredded for doing the exact things that Tomlin does.

He mentions how his team and coaches are out-of-control and that they're all clueless, but the media is afraid to come down on him because he's black.

I think that him being black plays a large part in it, but I also think that him coaching for the Steelers, who are a winning franchise and above scrutiny, also plays a part in it because people are afraid to condemn the empire.

I think that even some Steelers fans might hate him and his antics, but because he's black, they're afraid to speak-out.

Dude....Tomlin is not well liked in Pittsburgh and is criticized all the time by fans.  Problem for all of them is that he has a better record thus far in his career that the last two guys did by this time.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/13/9889202/mike-tomlin-record-milestone-wins-steelers-chuck-knoll
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:30 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I think it has a little more to do with past success and being in a big market for such a long time. Does him being black have something to do with it? Maybe. Idk.

Pittsburgh is a big market?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Pittsburgh is a big market?

I'm guessing he means fanbase.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
It doesn't stop the media or fans from blasting Chuckles Lewis; I highly doubt it's even a blip on the radar for reasons he's not nationally blasted.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
No. That was Casey Hampton.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 02:16 PM)6andcounting Wrote: No. That was Casey Hampton.

good ol big snack
People suck
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:37 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Dude....Tomlin is not well liked in Pittsburgh and is criticized all the time by fans.  Problem for all of them is that he has a better record thus far in his career that the last two guys did by this time.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/13/9889202/mike-tomlin-record-milestone-wins-steelers-chuck-knoll

Duh... Because he's black. Ninja

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said that Whitworth  said that.  I was like "Whoa...  Slow down country boy".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:14 PM)jason Wrote: Duh... Because he's black. Ninja

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said that Whitworth  said that.  I was like "Whoa...  Slow down country boy".

Some of it may be for that reason.  I have my suspicions when I speak to certain people when I am home.  I simply point out to them that he is the most successful coach the Steelers have ever had in this time frame.

I'm sure every city has those that worry about the color of the person telling people what to do.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
If those racists in Baltimore would get on board we'd have all black head coaches in our division, and then the entire division would be off limits.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The overall success has more to do with it than anything. I've always thought Whitlock was a blowhard and this doesn't do anything to change my mind. That they get more of a pass, i agree with but i'd point to the success.

Like White players get a pass to show boat and argue with refs?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 12:37 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Dude....Tomlin is not well liked in Pittsburgh and is criticized all the time by fans.  Problem for all of them is that he has a better record thus far in his career that the last two guys did by this time.

I think this was more aimed at the national media.. Local media guys aren't as.. well lets just say "oriented to paint a certain picture". Our local guys here don't hesitate to call players and coaches out. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd say it's more because he's a steeler.
Reply/Quote
I think it's because they're all House fans and think that was Tomlin in it.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:30 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Some of it may be for that reason.  I have my suspicions when I speak to certain people when I am home.  I simply point out to them that he is the most successful coach the Steelers have ever had in this time frame.

I'm sure every city has those that worry about the color of the person telling people what to do.

I am almost certain it's why my dad doesn't like him, same for a lot of my family. There is a lot of racism still entrenched in my family's neck of the woods. I grew up around it and sometimes my wife gives me shit for some things that I say that I don't have a second thought about because of how I was raised.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am almost certain it's why my dad doesn't like him, same for a lot of my family. There is a lot of racism still entrenched in my family's neck of the woods. I grew up around it and sometimes my wife gives me shit for some things that I say that I don't have a second thought about because of how I was raised.

And I know where you are from...I'm still around there and you are 100% right.

In fact I've given Tomlin more support than I probably should have when the other guy's argument starts off with "he's only a coach because of the Rooney Rule!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote