Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who Can Come In And Be Great As Backups!
Tiger

I'm just going to tell you that it isn't ready..
So if someone gets hurt who can come in and be great... Nobody other than solid. This linebackers core is weak and it will stay weak if we don't bring in a vet. Ok. Who was hurt and what did they really mean. We don't have capable backups ok. Just look at the offensive line its really the same backups as February OK. Or Quarterback because we don't make it without Joe and if so how? This backup only beat Pittsburgh 
Play three move ahead because guys get hurt. How is this roster ready for injuries? Get last year out of your mind that health won't be a factor! Who replaces Mixon if he goes down or the center or RG

https://youtu.be/D5E387N_884
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:18 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

So if someone gets hurt who can come in and be great... Nobody other than solid. This linebackers core is weak and it will stay weak if we don't bring in a vet. Ok. Who was hurt and what did they really mean. We don't have capable backups ok. Just look at the offensive line its really the same backups as February OK. Or Quarterback because we don't make it without Joe and if so how? This backup only beat Pittsburgh 
Play three move ahead because guys get hurt. How is this roster ready for injuries? Get last year out of your mind that health won't be a factor!

Some of us have been saying since the draft ended that there are still some spots that should be addressed because the depth is so weak/unproven.
The team could definitely suffer if any of the offensive starters go down.

On defense, it's not quite as doom-and-gloom though.
NT is probably in ok shape, as Tupou has shown to be a decent fill-in in the past.
UT might be in ok shape with 3rd rounder Carter, as well as potentially Hubbard or Sample swinging inside.
Safety has 1st rounder Dax Hill as a backup, assuming Bates actually does end up being the starter.
CB has 2nd rounder Cam Taylor-Britt as a backup, as well as Tre Flowers. Flowers has shown to be ok in a niche role, and I like CTB as a prospect.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Be healthy.

That's pretty much every team's path to success. No team can survive tons of injuries to key guys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some of us have been saying since the draft ended that there are still some spots that should be addressed because the depth is so weak/unproven.

NT is probably in ok shape, as Tupou has shown to be a decent fill-in in the past.
UT might be in ok shape with 3rd rounder Carter, as well as potentially Hubbard or Sample swinging inside.
Safety has 1st rounder Dax Hill as a backup, assuming Bates actually does end up being the starter.
CB has 2nd rounder Cam Taylor-Britt as a backup, as well as Tre Flowers. Flowers has shown to be ok in a niche role, and I like CTB as a prospect.

Tiger

There will be some worry if you cant truly spell a player. Who are you spelling with whom. If your so comfortable then give us your backup players.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 09:12 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

There will be some worry if you cant truly spell a player. Who are you spelling with whom. If your so comfortable then give us your backup players.
Did you even read what I posted?
I literally gave everyone I'm potentially comfortable with...

No team has good proven veteran backups for every position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some of us have been saying since the draft ended that there are still some spots that should be addressed because the depth is so weak/unproven.

Tiger
Offensive line? Linebacker group? 
Who do you have in those groups that can contribute as a proven player. QB also. Tell me how great the backup players are that can win games if a starter goes down.Tell me how great it is if two position players go down in training camp at the linebacker or along the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like you just want to argue. Our linebacker corp is not weak. It probably has the best back ups of any group, yet you single then out as a problem?
Reply/Quote
If they can be great, they wouldn't be back ups
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 10:10 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Who do you have in those groups that can contribute as a proven player. QB also. Tell me how great the backup players are that can win games if a starter goes down.Tell me how great it is if two position players go down in training camp at the linebacker or along the offensive line.

Once again, I don't think you actually read what I wrote.
I didn't specify any of those positions because I don't feel good about those spots.
I mentioned the spots that might end up being ok - DT, CB, S

I've posted on many threads of my desire to bring in some veteran depth for OL and WR, as I don't like the depth that is there.
LB also isn't anything good, but the Bengals seem to consider LB position of lower importance than DB or DL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If your QB goes down you are pretty much done. There aren't enough good QBs for all of the teams to have one let alone have a backup that can win you multiple games. Some people get lucky with a vet.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 10:10 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

[Image: 1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
FTR, i was gonna start a "which practice squad player will be future pro bowler and why" thread, but then i realized Em would get to it in the next couple days...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: FTR, i was gonna start a "which practice squad player will be future pro bowler and why" thread, but then i realized Em would get to it in the next couple days...

Based on the responses in this thread and some of the other threads/responses in recent memory, I finally decided just now to double my ignore list  Smirk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We need to sign a solid back up on O-line.

We also need a legit #4 WR but we can always work around a weakness there.

Some people are mentioning LB but I actually feel alright there. Markus Bailey was a big playmaker at Perdue who could play the run, rush the passer, or drop in coverage. His draft stock dropped because of an injury that wiped out all but 2 games of his senior season. But the 3 seasons before that he had 301 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 6 ints, and 26 TFL. His junior year he led the Big 10 in solo tackles (82) and was all-conference. Last year he only played 256 defensive snaps but had 38 Tackles, 3 Passes Defended, and 0.5 sack. In coverage he only allowed 5.2 yards per target (94 on 18). In his two seasons with the Bengals he only has 1 missed tackle for a miniscule 2.5 missed-tackle-percentage.

Akeem Davis-Gaither has the size (6'2", 215) and speed (4.6) of a safety but plays LB. He was used more as a blitzer his rookie season, but last year he played much more coverage. He was playing very well when he went down with injury. In the first 8 games he only played 203 defensive snaps but had 28 Tackles and 3 Passes Defended. In coverage he only allowed 4.7 yards per target (94 on 20).
Reply/Quote
The lb corp. is fine and has capable back ups. The back up OL players have starting experience or are still developing. Yes it’s a weak group but the rest of the nfl is in the same situation. Yeah they could use a veteran with starting experience at OL but outside of Reiff and Spain Im no sure there is anyone out there I’d want to sign.

But you just want to argue
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: FTR, i was gonna start a "which practice squad player will be future pro bowler and why" thread, but then i realized Em would get to it in the next couple days...

Tiger

I'm usually pretty solid with starters but not pro bowlers for non 53's.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 06:18 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Play three move ahead because guys get hurt. How is this roster ready for injuries? Get last year out of your mind that health won't be a factor! Who replaces Mixon if he goes down or the center or RG

Linebacker backups did well last year. Lots of other places. Some rookies need to come through as do some recent rookies. All teams have depth issues. The defense is in good shape and I’d bet as good as the vast majority. The offense has some issues. But it’s not a wave the magic wand kind of thing. Reality and wishful thinking aren’t the same. Fred’s right it’d be nice if we had a 4th receiver. It’d be nice if we had a better backup center. It’s be nice if we had a better backup tackle. Guard I think we are okay. But reality is that they are saving the money for what’s going to be a brutal task resigning Burrow/Higgins/Boyd/Bell etc. if they use some of the cap space it will be because of a major injury
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 10:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Linebacker backups did well last year. Lots of other places. Some rookies need to come through as do some recent rookies. All teams have depth issues. The defense is in good shape and I’d bet as good as the vast majority. The offense has some issues. But it’s not a wave the magic wand kind of thing. Reality and wishful thinking aren’t the same. Fred’s right it’d be nice if we had a 4th receiver. It’d be nice if we had a better backup center. It’s be nice if we had a better backup tackle. Guard I think we are okay. But reality is that they are saving the money for what’s going to be a brutal task resigning Burrow/Higgins/Boyd/Bell etc. if they use some of the cap space it will be because of a major injury
Tiger

Thanks for replying because this is good!
Reply/Quote
Probably nobody. That's why they're backups. If they were great, they'd be starters. 

Reply/Quote
At this point you wait until camp cuts and you will find better value of guys who get cut because of rookies who emerged quicker than expected.
Reply/Quote