Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Has Seen The Fast & Furious Movies?
I saw the first two but just noticed they're coming out with a #9.

Has anyone seen any of the movies beyond the first two?

Are they good? At least worth seeing?
Reply/Quote
I saw the first two and parts of the others.

The recent ones have become so "over-the-top" with the stunts that they seem almost comical to me.

I have always been a fan of the Japanese modified sport car scene. I used to own a '98 Integra Type-R with a Jackson Racing Supercharger and many other aftermarket mods. But even I can't get into the F&F movies because after the first two they started getting ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
Don't watch them if you want to watch compelling cinema.

Watch them if you are entertained by mindless story, comically over the top action sequences and increasingly self-aware snort-worthy one liners.

I'm not knocking them. Those kinds of mindless action movies have their little niche. Just don't expect too much out of them. It's the equivalent of kid's shows like Power Rangers for adults.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 11:13 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Don't watch them if you want to watch compelling cinema.

Watch them if you are entertained by mindless story, comically over the top action sequences and increasingly self-aware snort-worthy one liners.

I'm not knocking them. Those kinds of mindless action movies have their little niche. Just don't expect too much out of them. It's the equivalent of kid's shows like Power Rangers for adults.

Yeah.  You kind of get the picture that the new ones are just for action scenes, special effects, and adrenaline rushes.  

They don't seem like they have any real storyline or anything to even follow with or keep you thinking and wondering what's next.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 01:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah.  You kind of get the picture that the new ones are just for action scenes, special effects, and adrenaline rushes.  

They don't seem like they have any real storyline or anything to even follow with or keep you thinking and wondering what's next.

That sums it up. You're not meant to think during these movies. They're just there to be consumed.

Technically spoilers I guess, but the film was like a decade ago so....

Like in one movie one of the main dudes sees his girl in trouble, so he purposely crashes his car to propel himself through the air, catch the girl over the gap between two bridges, and land with her on the windshield of another car on the other side, with the two of them no worse for wear. I burst out laughing in the theater.

End Spoilers 

It's not too unlike the Marvel movies. With a few exceptions, they're really just big CGI super powered fight action sequences strung together by some witty dialogue. In the Fast universe, it's big CGI testosterone fueled race set pieces strung together by some cheesy dialogue about family and one-liners. 

Again, not knocking it. Sometimes you want to not think for a couple hours, as a parent to a two year old, I get it. 
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 02:17 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: That sums it up. You're not meant to think during these movies. They're just there to be consumed.

Technically spoilers I guess, but the film was like a decade ago so....

Like in one movie one of the main dudes sees his girl in trouble, so he purposely crashes his car to propel himself through the air, catch the girl over the gap between two bridges, and land with her on the windshield of another car on the other side, with the two of them no worse for wear. I burst out laughing in the theater.

End Spoilers 

It's not too unlike the Marvel movies. With a few exceptions, they're really just big CGI super powered fight action sequences strung together by some witty dialogue. In the Fast universe, it's big CGI testosterone fueled race set pieces strung together by some cheesy dialogue about family and one-liners. 

Again, not knocking it. Sometimes you want to not think for a couple hours, as a parent to a two year old, I get it. 

That made me lol because that's the kind of thing I meant with the special effects and the movies having no substance lol

I think (95% sure) that I remember seeing a plane in some previews for one of them?  I was like "what the hell!"

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 02:17 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Technically spoilers I guess, but the film was like a decade ago so....

End Spoilers 

That sounds like Bollywood level of ridiculousness.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 02:17 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Again, not knocking it. Sometimes you want to not think for a couple hours, as a parent to a two year old, I get it. 

Obviously a lot of people agree.

That is why they have made more than 10 FF movies.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 02:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I saw the first two but just noticed they're coming out with a #9.

Has anyone seen any of the movies beyond the first two?

Are they good?  At least worth seeing?

I watch a lot of tv and movies and I still have yet to watch a single Fast and Furious. I'm not much of a car guy though.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The recent ones have become so "over-the-top" with the stunts that they seem almost comical to me.

^ This.

They first few were alright for what they were, the new ones are something else entirely.  If you like people launching cars from skyscraper to skyscraper or driving down the road dragging a 50 ton bank vault then you might dig them.  For me they got so absurd I can't even watch them.
Reply/Quote
Somewhat off topic, but another offender of this type of stuff is the Expendables.

I watched the first one, and like Fast and Furious I thought it was ok for what it was.  I can enjoy some mindless action.  Well, I watched one of the sequels one day and had to turn off at this scene...

Sylvester Stalone was riding a motorcycle on a rooftop.  To be specifc, I think he was jumping from rooftop to rooftop.  Anways, there's all sorts of shit going on, bullets flying, bad guys, you get it.

Then a helicopter appears and starts firing on him (a man on a motorcycle).  He drives the motorcycle right to the edge of the rooftop and launches towards the helicopter.  He jumps off and the bike, it then hits the helicopter and it explodes of course.  He then falls however many tens or hundreds of feet and somehow someone saves him (I think he falls into a convertable seat or something, I can't remember.)

I just wanted to see some fights and some shootingx.  I don't need to see motorcylces launching into helicopters.

PS I just remember why First Blood is so much better than many of the sequels.  Add it the list of movies that do this crap.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I saw the first two and parts of the others.

The recent ones have become so "over-the-top" with the stunts that they seem almost comical to me.

I have always been a fan of the Japanese modified sport car scene.  I used to own a '98 Integra Type-R with a Jackson Racing Supercharger and many other aftermarket mods.  But even I can't get into the F&F movies because after the first two they started getting ridiculous.

Mellow

Fred... OUR Fred, was a JDM guy back in the 90s/00s?

Need proof lol, I can't fathom that.

As has been said, Brad, they've become less of car/heist films and more of pure-action films, which changed in #4.

It's one of the series I know a shit-ton about, but have barely seen any of it; I've only seen about 2/3 of 1 and 2 (2 is fuzzy though). I've been waiting for them to finish the series, then get all the films and watch them back to back, but I don't know if that'll change anytime soon.

10 was announced either earlier last year or late '19, so they'll definitely have another one soon.

9 apparently sucks, btw; critics have enjoyed it, us common-folk hate it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
1-4 were pretty good, but they should've stopped after that.

I like Dwayne Johnson, but his character and that story arch ruined the series.

The first movie is in my all-time top 5 list though. I've watched it countless times. Cheesy, but in a good way.

As others have said, the stunts are comically absurd. Movies 4-9 are most guilty of that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 06:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The first movie is in my all-time top 5 list though. I've watched it countless times. Cheesy, but in a good way.

"I like the tuna here."
Reply/Quote
The first two were okay. Surprised by such a following honestly. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 08:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: "I like the tuna here."

"No one likes the tuna here!"
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 06:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As others have said, the stunts are comically absurd. Movies 4-9 are most guilty of that.

Wait until you see #10

[Image: tom.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 01:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wait until you see #10

[Image: tom.jpg]

I'd take those two guys more seriously than The Rock and Jason Stathem. They probably wouldn't even jump a supercar from one skyscraper to another, or bring down a parking garage with a punch.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd take those two guys more seriously than The Rock and Jason Stathem. They probably wouldn't even jump a supercar from one skyscraper to another, or bring down a parking garage with a punch.

I like Statham in the Transporter and a few other movies. The Rock has become a joke though IMO.
Reply/Quote
What y'all rather watch?

Car chases and explosions or people expressing feelings? Cause you start knocking movies with no plot (,but lots of explosions) and next thing you know, you've got feelings.

**** That ****. Blow something upppppppp!
Reply/Quote