Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Will Reds Trade Before Trade Deadline This Month ??
The Reds not in play-off hunt by any means, certainly are not buyers.....So that would mean sellers. .......The question is, which teams in play-off hunt may start calling the Reds. Who do Reds have that a play-off teams needs....Certainly not pitching, which most play-off teams are always looking for.....A team that has had an injury and needs one of our starting 8 maybe....Who were the Reds trying to trade last Winter and could not work a deal ?.....Phillips and Bruce, wasn't it.....This month could be more payroll dumping.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Definitely Bruce and maybe Cozart. If they can get rid of Blake Wood they will
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bruce has a contract with a list of no trade teams. But he has recently mentioned that he would waive some of those restrictions making himself more available. It almost seems like Bruce wouldn't mind being traded to a contender at this point.
Reply/Quote
So since the Reds have not a single pitcher any team in play-offs would desire.....It comes down to which team is willing to trade good young top prospect future players for a Bruce or Phillips or Cozart or Votto to try to fill a need and win the World Series this year.....The Reds may not want to trade to Cubs, Pirates or Cardinals in their division, and may even choose to trade to the American League...The deep pocket Yankees are not really in the hunt now......but NY Mets and the LA Dodgers have deep pockets, as does Boston and a few other big cities. Dusty might desire one of these Reds he coached in Washington DC.....
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
If they cant trade Bruce this go around, then just give up and keep him until he retires.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2016, 05:54 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Bruce has a contract with a list of no trade teams. But he has recently mentioned that he would waive some of those restrictions making himself more available.   It almost seems like Bruce wouldn't mind being traded to a contender at this point.

yeah he said hes tried of having that trade being held over his head.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce traded, but I really hope they can hang on to Cozart. Cozart is just too valuable defensively and we know he can hit.
Bruce isn't horrible defensively, but he gets stuck in his ruts more times than not offensively..
Yeah, I know..haters gonna hate and all those internet jargon things, but it's not a matter of hate/not hate..it's consistentcy ..
To be honest I wouldn't be shocked to see Duvall traded because I just don't think he's going to hit 40 home runs year in, year out, but there is a perceived thing that he might which could make his bat attractive to certain teams in need of a power hitter..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Supposedly, there is a glut of outfielders available, so maybe Bruce won't be traded. Everybody wants pitching so that probably leaves the Reds out of it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Wish we would trade Votto to be completely honest
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:01 AM)Trademark Wrote: Wish we would trade Votto to be completely honest

Trading Votto would have made sense, a couple years ago, when the team still had pitching...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trading Votto would have made sense, a couple years ago, when the team still had pitching...

It will never make sense if they still have to pay on that contract. Aren't they still paying Griffey too.... The Reds suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 11:32 AM)jason Wrote: It will never make sense if they still have to pay on that contract. Aren't they still paying Griffey too.... The Reds suck.

They made one run at a title, couldn't get it done and now they are spending years coming back from it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:01 AM)Trademark Wrote: Wish we would trade Votto to be completely honest

Why?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 11:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: Yeah,  I know..haters gonna hate and all those internet jargon things, but it's not a matter of hate/not hate..it's consistentcy  ..

I have never understood people who value "consistency" more than "production".

Would you rather root for a team that had some hot streaks and won 90 games or a team that consistently won half of their games and finish at 81-81?
Reply/Quote
Latest rumor is that four teams are inquiring about Bruce, Seattle being one of them. He is on a hot streak currently... HR's in 5 consecutive games.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 08:55 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Latest rumor is that four teams are inquiring about Bruce, Seattle being one of them.  He is on a hot streak currently... HR's in 5 consecutive games.

At this point, I hope the Reds keep him.  You have to have someone to build around.  He has really turned it around this year, hitting to left to beat the shift, no real slumps, just better over all at the plate.

Reply/Quote
The Reds have to listen to offers for Bruce, Cozart and Votto but shouldn't be pushed into making a deal just to make a deal. I'm just not sold on the youngsters yet.

And yes, I think they should see what they can get for Duvall as well. Heck, maybe even Straily can net some nice prospects right now.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never understood people who value "consistency" more than "production".

Would you rather root for a team that had some hot streaks and won 90 games or a team that consistently won half of their games and finish at 81-81?

Consistent production would be nice.. That's one of the things lacking in Bruce. Yes, he knocks in a lot of RBI'S but I dunno..maybe it's me.. He seems to knock them in in games they lose..
I do have to admit Bruce has played much better this season, but I sure wouldn't bet the farm it'll happen next season..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There goes Jay Bruce to the Mets ....for Dilson Herrera and Max Wotell........more cutting the budget.....Reds are also trying to trade Cozart to Seattle....but Bruce is gone.......I know people say getting rid of all these players the last 3 years is great, but if it's so great, how come the Reds are so awful. Someone on another site just said Reds are getting burned in trades so bad, the Reds GM is making Jim Bowden look like Branch Rickey.......On ESPN is an internet video of Jim Bowden liking moves Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, Giants made but saying Phillies, Rockies and Reds were losers.....He says Reds got quantity but not quality for Bruce.....Again, most sites say Reds GM has got burned on trades the last 3 years. Hard to argue with team so hopelessly in last place. Firing the pitching coach July 4th is far from getting this team back in the hunt.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 11:04 PM)kevin Wrote: There goes Jay Bruce to the Mets ....for Dilson Herrera and Max Wotell........more cutting the budget.....Reds are also trying to trade Cozart to Seattle....but Bruce is gone.......I know people say getting rid of all these players the last 3 years is great, but if it's so great, how come the Reds are so awful.  Someone on another site just said Reds are getting burned in trades so bad, the Reds GM is making Jim Bowden look like Branch Rickey.......On ESPN is an internet video of Jim Bowden liking moves Cubs, Mets, Dodgers, Giants made but saying Phillies, Rockies and Reds were losers.....He says Reds got quantity but not quality for Bruce.....Again, most sites say Reds GM has got burned on trades the last 3 years.  Hard to argue with team so hopelessly in last place. Firing the pitching coach July 4th is far from getting this team back in the hunt.

ESPN gave us a B+

Quote:David Schoenfield's grades:

[Image: nym.png&w=110&h=110][Image: grade_c.jpg]
After two down years, Bruce has had a renaissance this year, leading the National League in RBIs. The Mets are 13th in the NL in runs scored, so they certainly need offense, but Bruce is an imperfect fit. His defensive metrics are among the worst in the game for outfielders, so Curtis Granderson, who has been below average in right field, will have to slide over to center, assuming Yoenis Cespedes has to remain in left field because of his sore quad. Bruce does help hedge against the departure of Cespedes after this season, but again, with him, Granderson and Michael Conforto, the Mets still lack a true center fielder.

[Image: cin.png&w=110&h=110][Image: grade_bplus.jpg]
Dilson Herrera is a high-upside offensive player who was blocked this year by Neil Walker, but probably deserved a chance to play in the majors. He's been very young for his leagues -- he's still just 22 -- and while there is some concern that his numbers at Las Vegas dipped this year compared to 2015, he should supplant Brandon Phillips as the Reds' second baseman next year. He's a better player than the punchless Jose Peraza, who hasn't done much at Triple-A this year.

Among the trades we've made this year:

Traded Todd Frazier for Scott Schebler and Jose Peraza (and Brandon Dixon)

In my opinion, this was a trade that was done a little too late. If we had traded him right after the All Star Break, we would have gotten a lot more for him. Unfortunately for us, he went into somewhat of a nosedive in the second half of the season and his value was not there in the Winter. They still traded him, probably, because they were offered two good prospects and decided to pull the trigger. There are some who love Jose Peraza (such as this article http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katohs-top-100-list-now-incorporating-multiple-years/ which projects him as the 2nd highest WAR contributor in the minors right now over the next 6 MLB years.) and others who aren't as thrilled with him. He was ranked #24 on the 2015 top 100 list http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=prospects, so he was definitely a blue chip prospect. Scott Schebler isn't as highly rated, but he has been very good for us so far this year and is currently hitting .311/.370/.564 in 75 games in AAA. He's likely going to be called up to replace Bruce this week. If he doesn't stick as an every day starter, he'll easily be a platoon OF who destroys right handed pitching.

Overall, Frazier was a fan favorite and that is likely why they didn't trade him last summer, but they still got two major league ready prospects that can contribute in the next few weeks.

Grade: B-, in my opinion, purely because we could have gotten a lot more 6 months earlier. We still got a future starter (Peraza can play so many positions, he'll find a spot if he proves he can hit) and a future 4th OF/potential starter.

Traded Aroldis Chapman for Caleb Cotham, Eric Jagielo and Rookie Davis

We've been over this one, but this was a bad deal. We panicked after the reports about his gun and domestic violence arose and we dropped him real quick. It's a shame to see what the Yankees got for him, but you have to remember we traded him before we knew how long he was going t be suspended. If he had been suspended a full year, he would have become 100% worthless. We got a few decent prospects out of it...bad deal, obviously, but the organization was kind of put in a corner 

Even still, Rookie Davis has the potential to be a middle rotation starter with a plus fastball and developed secondary pitches. He currently has a 9-3 record and 2.72 ERA in AA in 18 games. He's currently our 8th ranked prospect.

Grade: D+

We got something for him, which wasn't guaranteed. But we sold way under value because we had no idea what the commissioner was going to do with him. If we had known that he'd only be suspended for 30 games, we would have kept him and flipped him just like the Yankees did. The Yanks took a large risk and it paid off for them.

Traded Johnny Cueto for Brandon Finnegan, Cody Reed and John Lamb

This was a trade of necessity. Johnny Cueto knew he wasn't re-signing with the Reds after the season. Every other team knew that too. So, we had a player that we needed to convert into whatever we could get. We still got the #55 2015 prospect (http://www.baseballamerica.com/2015-top-100-prospects/) in FInnegan and the current #57 prospect in Cody Reed. We also took a flyer on John Lamb, who was the #18 prospect going into the 2011 season before suffering several injuries and surgeries. There's a chance he can someday return to that status, but if he doesn't, we still got two top 60 prospects for a player that was a 3 month rental. Not a horrible deal.

We would have gotten more for him if everyone and their mother didn't know we were going to lose Cueto anyway.

Grade: A-

Two future starters (even if they are struggling a little bit right now) who were each top 60 prospects for a guy on his way out is a good deal.

Traded Mike Leake for Adam Duvall and Keury Mella

Another rental trade. We weren't going to re-sign Leake. We had a lot of young talent coming up behind Leake and he would have commanded a very large salary. So what did we do? We flipped his final 3 months for our starting LF (and all star) and a pitcher with a very live arm. Mella can regularly reach 98 on his fast ball and has a very strong curve ball that he plays off that fast ball. He is currently in high A ball and is 7-7 with a 3.85 ERA. His potential is sky high.

Grade: B+. 
I know we didn't flip Duvall, which would have been a good move, in my opinion. Still, getting a power hitting OF and a power pitcher for a guy who we were losing regardless is a very good trade in my book.

And that's not even mentioning the trades in winter of 2014 that netted us Suarez, Crawford and DeSclafani for Mat Latos and Alfredo Simon. Both of these trades are looking like absolute steals now, especially the Desclafani trade.

The only trade we truly got fleeced on was the Chapman trade. The others were good deals, in my opinion. The Frazier trade was kind of a bummer because we didn't sell high on him, but we still got two very nice prospects out of the deal there.
Reply/Quote