Poll: Would you buy season tickets for 2017?
Yes, I'm a sucker
No, I'm a genius
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who Would Buy Season Tickets To The Bengals For 2017?
I have gone to (I would average) 5 reg games and 1 preseason game per year for the last 20 years. This season I will be attending ZERO.

Not because I'm mad at the Bengals for anything. I love them the same regardless. I just find the NFL to be better on TV at this point in time. Plus, it doesn't take my entire Sunday.

Oh, and because I went to a Blue Jackets game for the first time a few weeks ago and am buying a half season tix from them. That was THE FINEST sporting event experience I've ever attended. I've been to the NCAA Final 4. OSU vs Michigan, Bengals playoffs, seen the Reds at Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, Indians, Lambeau, Indy 500. UC, UD, and lots of other cool events.

Top to bottom the Blue Jackets was my favorite experience and I can't think of a close 2nd place. Seats were reasonably priced. Not a bad seat in the place The food was amazing all over the arena. I mean, just outstanding quality and lots of choices. Huge bar and beer selection. Great part of town with stuff to do within walking distance afterwards. GREAT crowd. Great staff who told us to enjoy the game at every interaction with them. Cleanest venue I've ever been in - It looked like a museum inside. $15 to park and the security guard to the parking garage opened the door for everyone coming in and out. And it was a quick walk across the street to the arena. Took less than 5 minutes from parking until someone took our tickets at the gate. The lines went fast. Super clean bathrooms. Great pro shop. Every single... and I mean every single aaspect of a Blue Jackets game was top shelf.

There's just no compelling reason to go to PBS. It's truly a dump by comparison. TV at home or in a sports bar is 100X better.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 03:34 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It's being reported about 4,500 people are so far, and tickets haven' even been available for sell yet. So there will probably not be a big drop off with attendance.

To be fair the majority of seats have not been held by true season ticket holders in a long time if ever.

That number is not that shocking. 

Ticket vendors purchase roughly 60% of the seats as a rule.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 07:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I have gone to (I would average) 5 reg games and 1 preseason game per year for the last 20 years. This season I will be attending ZERO.

Not because I'm mad at the Bengals for anything. I love them the same regardless. I just find the NFL to be better on TV at this point in time. Plus, it doesn't take my entire Sunday.

Oh, and because I went to a Blue Jackets game for the first time a few weeks ago and am buying a half season tix from them. That was THE FINEST sporting event experience I've ever attended. I've been to the NCAA Final 4. OSU vs Michigan, Bengals playoffs, seen the Reds at Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, Indians, Lambeau, Indy 500. UC, UD, and lots of other cool events.

Top to bottom the Blue Jackets was my favorite experience and I can't think of a close 2nd place. Seats were reasonably priced. Not a bad seat in the place The food was amazing all over the arena. I mean, just outstanding quality and lots of choices. Huge bar and beer selection. Great part of town with stuff to do within walking distance afterwards. GREAT crowd. Great staff who told us to enjoy the game at every interaction with them. Cleanest venue I've ever been in - It looked like a museum inside. $15 to park and the security guard to the parking garage opened the door for everyone coming in and out. And it was a quick walk across the street to the arena. Took less than 5 minutes from parking until someone took our tickets at the gate. The lines went fast. Super clean bathrooms. Great pro shop. Every single... and I mean every single aaspect of a Blue Jackets game was top shelf.

There's just no compelling reason to go to PBS. It's truly a dump by comparison. TV at home or in a sports bar is 100X better.

This is pretty much the reason I am struggling renewing this year.   I have been a STH for 11 years now.   Without the blackouts and with the quality of TV coverage it makes the value of being there live less appealing.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 06:54 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep, truth, I totally get both sides. I have no qualm with anyone who wants to buy season tickets now or if we go 0-16 for years on in. And of course I don't have problems with people boycotting the teams in certain ways either (like I am doing with not buying tickets, but still supporting them by watching tv, etc). It's a personal preference thing. As long as we remain respectful, I don't have a problem with either side. I have learned to never let a game "discuss me", so that's not my thing. I do feel obligated to show my frustration some way, shape or form. But I've done it respectfully and without judging why this person did support them.

Good debate, Cage. Love having these sorts of convo's without it leading to some sort of personal attack. 

Agreed I'm all for a discussion from with 2 opposite points of view as long as it remains civil and constructive. At the end of the day we all want the Bengals to succeed.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 07:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I have gone to (I would average) 5 reg games and 1 preseason game per year for the last 20 years. This season I will be attending ZERO.

Spot on.  The Blue Jackets game experience puts the Bengals to shame, and every year I tell the Bengals FO exactly that when I fill out my survey.  I remind them that they make a shitload of money compared to the Blue Jackets, so they have no excuse for not stepping up their game down at PBS.  

I'd recommend a Jackets game to any Bengals fan who'd like to be reminded what customer service is supposed to be like and to have a team not take your support for granted.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 01:48 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'm a Bengals fan and I like watching the Bengals play. What's so complicated about that? 5 out of the last 6 years I would've had a hell of a time.

It's entertainment if you aren't entertained that's your problem. If you feel like you're throwing away your Sundays by watching the Bengals Why would you keep watching? Maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

I actually did lol

Bro I didn't watch a full Bengals game after that shit show we had the 1st game against Pittsburg. I literally couldn't "NFL" anymore. Then it seemed like we lowkey attempted giving up in the games following the Pitt game. Because if you remember it took us a couple games to regain that fire again. I flipped channels of course but I mostly spent my time playing WWE2k17 and NBA2k17. Had 10x more fun than I would've if Id watched the Bengals every game this season.

Best football seasons worth of Sundays iv had in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 06:54 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep, truth, I totally get both sides. I have no qualm with anyone who wants to buy season tickets now or if we go 0-16 for years on in. And of course I don't have problems with people boycotting the teams in certain ways either (like I am doing with not buying tickets, but still supporting them by watching tv, etc). It's a personal preference thing. As long as we remain respectful, I don't have a problem with either side. I have learned to never let a game "discuss me", so that's not my thing. I do feel obligated to show my frustration some way, shape or form. But I've done it respectfully and without judging why this person did support them.

Good debate, Cage. Love having these sorts of convo's without it leading to some sort of personal attack. 

You suck

I had to mess it up for you. Too much positivity in here makes you go crazy
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 09:39 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Spot on.  The Blue Jackets game experience puts the Bengals to shame, and every year I tell the Bengals FO exactly that when I fill out my survey.  I remind them that they make a shitload of money compared to the Blue Jackets, so they have no excuse for not stepping up their game down at PBS.  

I'd recommend a Jackets game to any Bengals fan who'd like to be reminded what customer service is supposed to be like and to have a team not take your support for granted.

Oh, yeah, for sure. It was absolutely amazing. I think I'd been to so many PBS games that I thought you were supposed to be treated like crap by staff and fans.

Seriously, PBS, the staff down there, and the overall fan experience is junk. They've been coasting for a long time. The entire NFL has and it's showing through at this point. I was blown away at what the Blue Jackets have going on. So much so that I instantly became a huge fan of the NHL again and am spending my Bengals money on their product instead. I'll watch the Bengals and love them just the same, but the Blue Jackets will be getting my money from now on.

Any Bengals fan who hasn't gone to a CBJ game should try it out. It's worth the drive.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 12:26 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Oh, yeah, for sure. It was absolutely amazing. I think I'd been to so many PBS games that I thought you were supposed to be treated like crap by staff and fans.

Seriously, PBS, the staff down there, and the overall fan experience is junk. They've been coasting for a long time. The entire NFL has and it's showing through at this point. I was blown away at what the Blue Jackets have going on. So much so that I instantly became a huge fan of the NHL again and am spending my Bengals money on their product instead. I'll watch the Bengals and love them just the same, but the Blue Jackets will be getting my money from now on.

Any Bengals fan who hasn't gone to a CBJ game should try it out. It's worth the drive.

i  did it and was not very impressed.. hockey just not my thing.. football is.. PBS staff is not that bad.. ive had worse in Pittsburgh, Indy and Cleveland.. positive experiences in Baltimore, Tenn and KC....

In the end those that are committed season ticket holders have them  for the love of a live game experience,  the tailgating and the scope of the game being limited in number.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 11:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i  did it and was not very impressed.. hockey just not my thing.. football is.. PBS staff is not that bad.. ive had worse in Pittsburgh, Indy and Cleveland.. positive experiences in Baltimore, Tenn and KC....

In the end those that are committed season ticket holders have them  for the love of a live game experience,  the tailgating and the scope of the game being limited in number.

In the over 100 Bengals games (typically club seats) and events I've attended there isn't one... not one aspect of the actual experience that I would rank anywhere even close to Nation Wide arena. Not parking. Not food. Not staff. Not pricing. Not the area the venue is in. Not the pro shop. Nothing. I had Bengals club season tickets for 6 of the last 20 seasons as well. The Bengals season ticket perks are nothing compared to what the CBJ guys offered.

Whether hockey or football is your thing or not, I can look at the two venues outside of the sport I'm watching, which was my point. PBS and a huge portion of the people down there) is a diaper fire in comparison to Nationwide. Three trips down there in the past month and I've had ZERO riffraff or issues in the area. 1st class all the way.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 04:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: In the over 100 Bengals games (typically club seats) and events I've attended there isn't one... not one aspect of the actual experience that I would rank anywhere even close to Nation Wide arena. Not parking. Not food. Not staff. Not pricing. Not the area the venue is in. Not the pro shop. Nothing. I had Bengals club season tickets for 6 of the last 20 seasons as well. The Bengals season ticket perks are nothing compared to what the CBJ guys offered.

Whether hockey or football is your thing or not, I can look at the two venues outside of the sport I'm watching, which was my point. PBS and a huge portion of the people down there) is a diaper fire in comparison to Nationwide. Three trips down there in the past month and I've had ZERO riffraff or issues in the area. 1st class all the way.

Ok lets be straight up honest.. hockey in America is a 2nd tier sport.. of course they will go the extra mile to get your ticket, they need to much more than pro football.. Finally i have been a season ticket holder for a long time and I have attended now around 12 away stadiums.. PBS is not that much different than other stadiums as far as parking, food, etc... 

You can have your hockey etc.. I will keep my football.. 

PS  I had more fun at Dragons game than the Blue Jackets ...
Reply/Quote
Rooting intrest aside, from a strictly viewing experience, hockey and football are 180 degree opposites. Hockey is most definitely better in person than on TV. There is just no way to capture the true speed and excitement of the game on TV that you get by being there. There's many reasons for that, but i would go so far to say that if your only exposure to professional - NHL- hockey is via SportsCenter highlights, you really don't know how much different, better and fun it is to actually be there.  Football on the other hand, again strictly  as a viewer, is better on TV. Lots of reasons for that also, some mentioned already. The NFL looks at people in the stands as the 'studio audience' for everyone else watching at home. That's where they make their money. The only live fans the owners are REALLY making money off of are the luxury box / corporate crowd. Plus the live gate gets split between the home and visiting teams anyway, if I'm not mistaken. So the irony is, technically, if you want to 'hurt' Mike Brown financially but still watch the Bengals, people should quit watching on TV and go watch in person (unless you have a corporate box). Collectively, he makes more form people watching on TV than watching at PBS.  (it's a joke folks)

That said, I believe the majority of season ticket holders look at going to games as entertainment ....many make a day of it with longstanding routines of tailgating with friends, going to to a favorite bar / restaurant before or after the games, etc. The actual game is the main event of a larger social experience. There's something about being there and being a part of the 60-some thousand screaming' family', all pulling for the same thing, high fiving people you dont know, etc. etc. and really feeling being a part of the game. You just can't get that anywhere but by being there.

The idea with a large number of season ticket holders is to make it a big day with family, friends, coworkers, whatever, revolving around the game. If the team wins, great, that's even better, but a loss doesn't  ruin the whole day either.   Not saying they aren't passionatly rooting for the Bengals, just saying that their won - lost record isn't necessarily the only factor in deciding to re-up again for next year.
Reply/Quote
Had season tickets won't be renewing. The perks blow... Nothing unique. (Stadium tour, or draft day party or a "special" training camp, or a town hall meeting with a coach. Don't ask for two of those because you get one... One.

If they offered all those "perks" to season ticket members or if they gave on field tickets before a game for 5th, 10th, 15th, etc year anniversary it might be compelling and something unique.

But I don't care enough to pay for crap food and overpriced beer to attend a draft day party. Not to mention the silly preseason games you are forced to buy.

I will however get a 4 game ticket pack and not have to also be forced to buy the preseason. And I will also go to Nashville to see bengals Titans.
Reply/Quote
Sunday afternoons this fall will find me where I've been for the past 12 years -- the south end zone seats (although nobody ever sits down). Who Dey.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:29 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Sunday afternoons this fall will find me where I've been for the past 12 years -- the south end zone seats (although nobody ever sits down).  Who Dey.

Hey teammate from the 60s/70s...  Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ok lets be straight up honest.. hockey in America is a 2nd tier sport.. of course they will go the extra mile to get your ticket, they need to much more than pro football.. Finally i have been a season ticket holder for a long time and I have attended now around 12 away stadiums.. PBS is not that much different than other stadiums as far as parking, food, etc... 

I agree that the NHL has lost a mainstream audience. That's for sure. But the product is world class. I'm not going to get a hard on anymore just because it's NFL football. The NFL has stagnated when it comes to the fan experience, product on the field, and venues (at least middle America venues). They couldn't care less. At 37 years old and with a 4 year old who is becoming more and more willing and interested in experiencing life, that resonates with me.

Pro Football TV ratings are down. And actual attendance is down at PBS for sure. I'm not so sure about the rest of the NFL, but the league is losing it's lead on the other sports. Spending an entire day watching it or attending a game is just not something I'm finding a lot of fun in any more.

I, too, have been to several other stadiums and I agree. From what I have seen is that they are all pretty similar with the exception of Dallas. But after seeing how NHL hockey does it, yeah... I'm interested in actually going to a sport that offers more for my money and is trying to earn it. I guess after seeing how it should be done (at Nationwide) I'm no longer willing to accept any old crap the Bengals give me because that's what the NFL experience is... crap. The NFL is sitting at the top of a hill and not trying to improve. The other sports are and I like that!

Now, the party before and after the game? That's an ok time. But it's usually just a few thousand people standing around throwing footballs and bopping their heads to kid rock cover bands. I'm over it so, no season tickets for me. The ticket rep offered me autographed jerseys, on field pregame/warm up passes to 3 games a season, and a bunch of other stuff if I bought club season tickets again. My money will be going to either a half or a quarter season of Blue Jackets. They, too, offered some really great events, memorabilia, and fan experience opportunities - only it's in a 100x better venue.

I go to probably 15-20 baseball games a year between the Reds & Dragons. I get bored. I don't remember the last time I finished a baseball game. I usually leave by the 8th inning and I've been to the last 5 opening days for the Reds on either the party deck or Reds Dugout seats. The Reds stadium is beautiful and a really nice place. Food is so so. Parking is so so. But over all, it, too, blows PBS away. The Dragons stadium is great, but I find the product on the field to be cheesy and leaning too far towards little kids. Which might turn out to be a good thing at some point. We'll see!

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a hockey vs. football debate. I was more or less comparing the venues, game experiences, pricing, and overall experience as a fan and not the two sports themselves. And as far as who can have what. Why not have them both? I'm not going to quit being a Bengals fan. I just don't see the thrill of the game day down at PBS anymore. Maybe I'm burned out on attending games? We'll see if I get the itch when the season rolls back around. :)
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 10:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hey teammate from the 60s/70s...  Wink
Those were the days, my friend...
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ok lets be straight up honest.. hockey in America is a 2nd tier sport.. of course they will go the extra mile to get your ticket, they need to much more than pro football.. Finally i have been a season ticket holder for a long time and I have attended now around 12 away stadiums.. PBS is not that much different than other stadiums as far as parking, food, etc... 

Knocks the NHL as a "2nd tier sport," then extols the virtues of the vaunted single-A baseball.  Mellow

(02-14-2017, 12:12 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a hockey vs. football debate. I was more or less comparing the venues, game experiences, pricing, and overall experience as a fan and not the two sports themselves. And as far as who can have what. Why not have them both? I'm not going to quit being a Bengals fan. I just don't see the thrill of the game day down at PBS anymore. Maybe I'm burned out on attending games? We'll see if I get the itch when the season rolls back around. :)

I get what you were trying to do.  Throw the sports themselves out the window: who treats you better and gives you a better gameday experience?  I'll be back for 2017, but only because I love the game in person and I've been with this team since I was a kid, not because of anything they do for me from a hospitality standpoint.  Hell, I'm going in spite of that.  
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 12:26 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Oh, yeah, for sure. It was absolutely amazing. I think I'd been to so many PBS games that I thought you were supposed to be treated like crap by staff and fans.

Because the NFL is a "socialist" enterprise, the owner(s) can get paid well without having to really compete for the fans' dollars. If the NFL were a free market setup, Mikey Brownpants would be out of business.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:01 PM)Derrick Wrote: If the NFL were a free market setup, Mikey Brownpants would be out of business.

It's too bad you can't legally force a name change on someone.
Reply/Quote