Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would You Pick to Man the Right Side of The Line?
There are several of you who have played offensive line, college football and are more knowledgeable than most of us.  And there are those who just have a good eye and good horse sense.  And there are the rest of us who mostly just have an opinion.

So I ask all of you.  Who would you like to see starting in the right guard and right tackle positions given what we know to this point?

So letting the last go first, my vote would be that Westerman start at right guard, and Perkins play right tackle.  The latter because I have so little confidence in Og, Fish or Hart.   I mean the hope is that Pollack revives both Og and Fish, that Fish looks best at RT and Og looks like a solid LT backup.  For me RT is the position of most concern on our offensive team.

What say ye?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RT is the least of the concerns on the offensive line

this line will do well this year..better players and Mike Browns spy on the field and Marvin Lewis nemesis, Paul alexander is gone
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:11 PM)cooper Wrote: RT is the least of the concerns on the offensive line

this line will do well this year..better players and Mike Browns spy on the field and Marvin Lewis nemesis, Paul alexander is gone

I think the Bengals have done everything this offseason but draft a relatively high pick (3-5th round) at OT.  You are right, getting PA gone and hiring Pollack should reap significant improvement up front.

But I have to ask, what is the greatest of your concerns for the offensive line?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:17 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the Bengals have done everything this offseason but draft a relatively high pick (3-5th round) at OT.  You are right, getting PA gone and hiring Pollack should reap significant improvement up front.

But I have to ask, what is the greatest of your concerns for the offensive line?

Depth.... While we improved our starters..... If they go down we are back to the OL of 17...  Minus our best OT on the OL from 17 Andre smith...

As to who I would put there...  Well the answer is whoever wins the job in camp...  there is no one with a leg up on the others it should be a true competition...

I see fisher possibly winning the battle though with westerman the OG on the right.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:11 PM)cooper Wrote: RT is the least of the concerns on the offensive line

Ahem, RT happens to be the biggest concern on the line.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Fisher will bring back some of what he showed his rookie season. He didn’t have a great showing last year but I still have faith in him. I look for him to lock down the position.

For the love of god don’t bring back Eric Winston
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:42 PM)McC Wrote: Ahem, RT happens to be the biggest concern on the line.

I'm not as convinced as some others, about RT being the biggest concern on the OL.  Did you notice where pressure came from, and how plays got blown up last year?  It was up the middle, much more so than from the edges.  Edge protection is only a factor, when your OL is strong up the middle, and can force teams to come from the outside.

Billy Price could develop into the best Center of all time, but for now, he's a rookie.  He'll have a giant target painted all over him, until he proves that he can do what Bodine could not, stop the penetration up the gut.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Depth.... While we improved our starters..... If they go down we are back to the OL of 17...  Minus our best OT on the OL from 17 Andre smith...

As to who I would put there...  Well the answer is whoever wins the job in camp...  there is no one with a leg up on the others it should be a true competition...

I see fisher possibly winning the battle though with westerman the OG on the right.

Good point Xeno.  I gotta agree.  I was going to say RT is the glaring weak spot, but depth is the right answer.  If anyone goes down, we're toast.

I think Fisher becomes the RT, and Westerman should win RG.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not as convinced as some others, about RT being the biggest concern on the OL.  Did you notice where pressure came from, and how plays got blown up last year?  It was up the middle, much more so than from the edges.  Edge protection is only a factor, when your OL is strong up the middle, and can force teams to come from the outside.

Billy Price could develop into the best Center of all time, but for now, he's a rookie.  He'll have a giant target painted all over him, until he proves that he can do what Bodine could not, stop the penetration up the gut.

Fair point as well.  I just can't see price being as abysmal as Bodine.  Sure, he will have his miscues, but when he is on point, I have a hard time seeing him get manhandled like Bodine did.  I think Westerman helps us there at RG as well.

Reply/Quote
I’d put Westerman at RG and forget about that position. RT is the trickier spot, there’s a lot of bodies and each has their drawbacks. I think it will end up Fisher, with OG being the swing tackle. I have no faith in Hart being any good. He sucked at FSU and he sucked in NY and that’s just his on the field play. He has a rep as a bad locker room presence from college and the NFL. The wild cards are Perkins and maybe Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:11 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d put Westerman at RG and forget about that position. RT is the trickier spot, there’s a lot of bodies and each has their drawbacks. I think it will end up Fisher, with OG being the swing tackle. I have no faith in Hart being any good. He sucked at FSU and he sucked in NY and that’s just his on the field play. He has a rep as a bad locker room presence from college and the NFL.  Let’s not forget OG is still the only other LT on the roster besides Glenn. The wild cards are Perkins and maybe Hopkins.

Seems they're looking at Hopkins to back up C?

I agree about Hart.....kinda hope he doesn't even make it out of camp.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: Fair point as well.  I just can't see price being as abysmal as Bodine.  Sure, he will have his miscues, but when he is on point, I have a hard time seeing him get manhandled like Bodine did.  I think Westerman helps us there at RG as well.

I guess I forgot to mention that I feel like securing that RG position is a higher priority than who's going to win the RT spot.  A TE can always be flexed to one side or the other, depending on where the extra help is needed, but if the interior can't form a pocket for the QB to step into, it's all a wasted play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:15 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Seems they're looking at Hopkins to back up C?

I agree about Hart.....kinda hope he doesn't even make it out of camp.

I haven’t read anything about what they are doing with Hopkins. Johnson is still out there as the backup C.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess I forgot to mention that I feel like securing that RG position is a higher priority than who's going to win the RT spot.  A TE can always be flexed to one side or the other, depending on where the extra help is needed, but if the interior can't form a pocket for the QB to step into, it's all a wasted play.

True dat...

(06-26-2018, 04:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I haven’t read anything about what they are doing with Hopkins. Johnson is still out there as the backup C.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read on the team site that Hopkins had been taking some snaps at C while Price was rehabbing.  Anyone else see that, or am I imagining I read that? LMAO  My memory isn't the iron trap it used to be......

Reply/Quote
Right Guard:
I think Right Guard will be one of the best match-ups to watch in camp, albeit not the most exciting. The battle I think is between Trey Hopkins, Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond. Clearly the front office thought enough of these three to not draft a guard until Rod Taylor in the 7th. Based on snap count from last season, Hopkins (707) Westerman (87) and Redmond (104), the clear edge goes to Hopkins. Obviously Pollack will have his own take on the line and I'm not savvy enough in offensive line schemes to know which of the three is the best fit. I do expect to see all 3 make the final 53 man and especially with Hopkins working as a C when Bodine was hurt.

Right Tackle:
I agree with previous posters this is a huge weakness. That said if I'm picking a spot on the line to be weak this is it. I'm hopeful Bobby Hart can resurrect his career in Cincy like so many before him, but I also think Fisher and Ogbuehi have a chance to figure it out in a new scheme. I for one am holding out hope that a lack of development was due to Paul Alexander's inability, and Whit's lack of desire to be a mentor. I expect this is somewhat of a rotation early and likely our first pick in round 1 for 2019.

My expected line:
LT - Cordy Glenn
LG - Clint Boling
C - Billy Price
RG - Trey Hopkins
RT - Bobby Hart
BENGALdawg
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not as convinced as some others, about RT being the biggest concern on the OL.  Did you notice where pressure came from, and how plays got blown up last year?  It was up the middle, much more so than from the edges.  Edge protection is only a factor, when your OL is strong up the middle, and can force teams to come from the outside.

IF we are to believe everything written about Price, along with what we see and hear from him, we won't be as weak in the middle as last year. The focus will likely shift to the right side, as that is where we have the least quality experience (also talent maybe) now that Andre is gone. I expect the entire line to be tested through the early stages of building chemistry, and as mentioned God help us if we have to substitute very much anywhere along the line. It all seems somewhat fragile at the moment.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: True dat...

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read on the team site that Hopkins had been taking some snaps at C while Price was rehabbing.  Anyone else see that, or am I imagining I read that? LMAO  My memory isn't the iron trap it used to be......

Yep, we're all just guessing, at this point.  For all we know, it could end up being Redmond at RG and Perkins at LT.  

Anyone can look good, going through the motions in helmets and shorts.  What it will come down to, is which duo can keep Geno and Carlos at bay when the pads go on.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Why is RT the least of the concerns? Shouldn't LG be the least of the concerns? I'd say RT is the most concerning of the group.

But for me, I'd go Westerman at RG and Fisher at RT. Fisher had a nastiness to his game coming out of college that I think fits Pollack's mantra.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:32 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: IF we are to believe everything written about Price, along with what we see and hear from him, we won't be as weak in the middle as last year. The focus will likely shift to the right side, as that is where we have the least quality experience (also talent maybe) now that Andre is gone. I expect the entire line to be tested through the early stages of building chemistry, and as mentioned God help us if we have to substitute very much anywhere along the line. It all seems somewhat fragile at the moment.

I have complete faith that Price is going to be a tremendous improvement over Russell Bodine.  But, I also think it important to remember that he is a rookie, and there will be mistakes that go along with the NFL learning curve.  

I'm pretty satisfied with Price and the Left side of the line.  Sure, you'd like to have another long time starter, like Boling, to flank Price on the Right, as it would have provided the best possible transition scenario.  Unfortunately, they're likely going to have to put another 1st time starter in that RG spot. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I see Westerman winning the RG spot. With Pollack's emphasis on getting hands up fast and punching through the blocks, I think Westerman, being that he is an undefeated boxer, will win. At RT I think as long as Fisher's heart holds up, I suspect he will be the starting tackle.
Reply/Quote