Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would You Pick to Man the Right Side of The Line?
I think a lot of people are selling Hopkins short. I think he will probably be the starting RG, but would not be surprised to see Westerman take it.

At RT I worry about Fisher. Before last season he said his medication for his heart condition made him sluggish so he stopped taking it, but he did not look very good during the season. I think his heart condition is a bigger problem than a lot of people realize.

Hart could resurrect his career here. Look what a change of teams did for Reggie Nelson and Cedric Benson. But while it is possible I don't think it is probable.

They say Ogbuehi has improved and is in the running for the RT spot, but I just don't see it happening.

My surprise pick for RT is Alex Redmond. Geno Atkins is the only guy on the team stronger than him and he is long enough (6'5") to play OT.

LT..Glenn
LG..Boling
OC..Price
RG..Hopkins
RT..Redmond
Reply/Quote
This is the first thread that I’ve heard anyone mention this Pollack Coach. I think that RG will be fine, I’m guessing that it will be musical chairs at RT.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This is the first thread that I’ve heard anyone mention this Pollack Coach. I think that RG will be fine, I’m guessing that it will be musical chairs at RT.

You must have taken some time off of the boards.  Coach Pollack has literally been the subject of dozens of threads and thousands of posts.  Most of us are absolutely thrilled to have him on board.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 04:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: True dat...

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read on the team site that Hopkins had been taking some snaps at C while Price was rehabbing.  Anyone else see that, or am I imagining I read that? LMAO  My memory isn't the iron trap it used to be......

Without supplying the link, you are correct.  Hopkins has been taking snaps at center.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This is the first thread that I’ve heard anyone mention this Pollack Coach. I think that RG will be fine, I’m guessing that it will be musical chairs at RT.

You know for as much as they rotate other positions keeping those big guys fresh if there is no clear superior talent might be the ebst way to go.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I see Westerman winning the RG spot. With Pollack's emphasis on getting hands up fast and punching through the blocks, I think Westerman, being that he is an undefeated boxer, will win. At RT I think as long as Fisher's heart holds up, I suspect he will be the starting tackle.

I was thinking the same thing Sled.  The guy should have good hands and a lot to his punch.   They like Redmond a lot, so if Westerman beats him out I'll be pretty optimistic.   I'd like Fisher to win it.   The guy's an athlete for sure.   I worry about his smarts and his strength.

It's going to be a fun camp.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You must have taken some time off of the boards.  Coach Pollack has literally been the subject of dozens of threads and thousands of posts.  Most of us are absolutely thrilled to have him on board.

He's being facetious.  He's had fun with the Board's adoration of Pollack before the season has started.

There's going to be an interesting comparison of the Dallas and Cincinnati offensive lines this season.  And given the talent level of the Dallas line I'm not sure the comparison will be accurate.  But it's going to be fun to watch - especially the rhetoric wars.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 06:09 PM)3wt Wrote: He's being facetious.  He's had fun with the Board's adoration of Pollack before the season has started.

There's going to be an interesting comparison of the Dallas and Cincinnati offensive lines this season.  And given the talent level of the Dallas line I'm not sure the comparison will be accurate.  But it's going to be fun to watch - especially the rhetoric wars.

Yep, he got me.   LOL 

I also agree with you, in regard to comparisons of Cowboys'/Bengals' OLs coming this way, soon.  At first glance, it would appear that Coach Pollack has all to gain and Alexander all to lose, in terms of reputation/credibility as an OL coach.  It will be interesting to watch it all play out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:08 PM)3wt Wrote: There are several of you who have played offensive line, college football and are more knowledgeable than most of us.  And there are those who just have a good eye and good horse sense.  And there are the rest of us who mostly just have an opinion.

So I ask all of you.  Who would you like to see starting in the right guard and right tackle positions given what we know to this point?

So letting the last go first, my vote would be that Westerman start at right guard, and Perkins play right tackle.  The latter because I have so little confidence in Og, Fish or Hart.   I mean the hope is that Pollack revives both Og and Fish, that Fish looks best at RT and Og looks like a solid LT backup.  For me RT is the position of most concern on our offensive team.

What say ye?

It is a great question, i think the best players win out and right now that is Westerman and Fisher IMO.

I like Redmond and Perkins as well and Hart is not as bad as we all thought when we got him.

Just don't see Og improving enough to play RT even with the news of him looking better. I have seen good things
from Fisher in the past and he is smart and has a nasty streak to him like Pollack says he wants in his Lineman.

I just like how Pollack has said nothing is written in stone and the best players will start.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:17 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the Bengals have done everything this offseason but draft a relatively high pick (3-5th round) at OT.  You are right, getting PA gone and hiring Pollack should reap significant improvement up front.

But I have to ask, what is the greatest of your concerns for the offensive line?

Agree with could have taken another OL player in draft but other than that have no complaints about anything else done. 

But to answer question, many concerns still because of all the unknowns. 

Obviously quality depth is very concerning if somebody gets hurt. 

Is Cordy Glenn's  foot healed completely and can step right in and be up to speed ?  Love the pick up and wanted to draft him coming out of college yet still slightly concerned. 

Will Price be able to step right in and play like we need ?  Has to be an improvement over Bo though but still need him to be good out of the gate. 

Is Boling going to round back into his old self ?  Not as worried here but he did regress even if it was most likely caused by everybody sucking around him. 

Then we come to the right side, thinking Hopkins at RG and Ced (cringe) or Redmond at RT. 

Am very excited about teams chances with OL changes an so looking forward to watching these guys on field. 

Yet it may be nervously excited. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 06:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a great question, i think the best players win out and right now that is Westerman and Fisher IMO.

I like Redmond and Perkins as well and Hart is not as bad as we all thought when we got him.

Just don't see Og improving enough to play RT even with the news of him looking better. I have seen good things
from Fisher in the past and he is smart and has a nasty streak to him like Pollack says he wants in his Lineman.

I just like how Pollack has said nothing is written in stone and the best players will start.

Curious what you are basing the “Hart is not as bad” statement on. He was bad in college, bad in NY, what has he done here to change that? Hasn’t even had a padded practice yet.
Reply/Quote
Not even the least bit concerned about Pollack being better than Piano Man though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
First question first: I like Western to start at right guard. Admittedly we haven't seen a ton of snaps, but I have liked what I have seen. I haven't disliked Redmond, and he has NFL size and strength without a doubt. Some have mentioned him as a possible right tackle. But I have never heard the team mention that. So I wonder if he has the quickness to play outside.

Fisher, based on my first impression of him, looked like a possible future right tackle for us by now. But he's just had his problems, and we don't know how he's coming out of all that. I still have hope for him though. I think, talent-wise, he's right there just on native ability. But if he comes all the way back this season, we should all consider it a nice bonus. I just don't see Ogbuehi cutting it, but if Pollack transforms him, I'll happily say I stand corrected. Hart makes me nervous, and I just plain don't have a good line on Perkins. I know some people like Hopkins, but I've seen him as overrated.

Overall on the offensive line, I think the best result would be Glenn, Boling, Price, Westerman and Fisher. The real ringer is that Glenn and Price both have injury concerns, which are sort of fading, but maybe still there a little bit. Of course, Price had a great injury history in college.

The one thing I feel good about is that I think Pollack will get our best alignment out there, week to week.
Reply/Quote
Its completely dumbfounded and not rooted in anything, but for some reason, I think Hart will be our RT and play well.

Just a hunch.

But I thought the same of Hill last year and we all saw how that turned out...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Westerman at rg. Fisher at rt. Price at center Boling at lg. and Glenn at lt. I see that people are trying to shorten Westerman's name, he was called C-West by his college team.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry I did not mean Glenn I meant Hart.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 11:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Its completely dumbfounded and not rooted in anything, but for some reason, I think Hart will be our RT and play well.

Just a hunch.

But I thought the same of Hill last year and we all saw how that turned out...

Now you have cursed Hart and he will end up in New England with Hill because of it.  Ninja

He may thank you later unless Brady retires. lol

You may be absolutely correct though, it is a crap shoot this year guessing who Pollack likes and as Sunset or somebody said will not know the truth until the pads are worn in practice.

Really wish we had selected one more OL in early rounds of the draft just for healthy competition and depth. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
At this point with the new line coach I haven't written anyone off. We as fans really don't know exactly what we really have. If it was as many expected and the main culprit was PA then the two top draft picks may just turn into top linemen. On the other hand it's possible Pollack talks a good game, but isn't really capable of doing what we're hoping for and they continue to flounder.. The truth is we really won't know how this bunch is going to turn out until we get to see them play against other teams with live football teams.
Personally I think they're going to turn things around and we'll see a whole different offensive line, but for now it's a whole lot of hoping and speculation. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You must have taken some time off of the boards.  Coach Pollack has literally been the subject of dozens of threads and thousands of posts.  Most of us are absolutely thrilled to have him on board.

I was being sarcastic. I’m happy for the change too. I’m starting to get burnt out on hearing how great the guy is, I hope that he is at the same time though.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: You know for as much as they rotate other positions keeping those big guys fresh if there is no clear superior talent might be the ebst way to go.

With the current roster, I totally agree.
Reply/Quote