Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would You Pick to Man the Right Side of The Line?
(06-26-2018, 06:09 PM)3wt Wrote: He's being facetious.  He's had fun with the Board's adoration of Pollack before the season has started.

There's going to be an interesting comparison of the Dallas and Cincinnati offensive lines this season.  And given the talent level of the Dallas line I'm not sure the comparison will be accurate.  But it's going to be fun to watch - especially the rhetoric wars.

You caught me. I am pleased to have him, I’m just tired of hearing how he’s the best thing since sliced bread. I do wish him much success, I just can’t remember reading this much hoopla over a position coach.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: At this point with the new line coach I haven't written anyone off. We as fans really don't know exactly what we really have. If it was as many expected and the main culprit was PA then the two top draft picks may just turn into top linemen. On the other hand it's possible Pollack talks a good game, but isn't really capable of doing what we're hoping for and they continue to flounder.. The truth is we really won't know how this bunch is going to turn out until we get to see them play against other teams with live football teams.
Personally I think they're going to turn things around and we'll see a whole different offensive line, but for now it's a whole lot of hoping and speculation. 

Absolutely. As the saying goes, "Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first."
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 06:03 PM)3wt Wrote: I was thinking the same thing Sled.  The guy should have good hands and a lot to his punch.   They like Redmond a lot, so if Westerman beats him out I'll be pretty optimistic.   I'd like Fisher to win it.   The guy's an athlete for sure.   I worry about his smarts and his strength.

It's going to be a fun camp.

Yeah, it really is, and I was really really hoping Hard Knocks would come here this year so we could see it....
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:08 PM)3wt Wrote: There are several of you who have played offensive line, college football and are more knowledgeable than most of us.  And there are those who just have a good eye and good horse sense.  And there are the rest of us who mostly just have an opinion.

So I ask all of you.  Who would you like to see starting in the right guard and right tackle positions given what we know to this point?

So letting the last go first, my vote would be that Westerman start at right guard, and Perkins play right tackle.  The latter because I have so little confidence in Og, Fish or Hart.   I mean the hope is that Pollack revives both Og and Fish, that Fish looks best at RT and Og looks like a solid LT backup.  For me RT is the position of most concern on our offensive team.

What say ye?

I don't know enough about Perkins to say, and we will find out very quickly if Bobby Hart was just an insurance policy or if Frank Pollak saw something when he faced the Giants twice a year.

I guess my default would be Fisher, as I feel he has the agility and the strength.  I think he seems like a better fit in Pollak's system than that of Alexander.  It will be interesting to see how he responds to the extra time off and a new offense.

I think Redmond or Westerman could win the job at RT if Fisher isn't looking very good very early.  Both of them are fighting for what seems to be one spot (RG) and I think they both are very capable run blockers.  I will need to see them get some snaps at RT in the preseason (won't be many to go around) in order to see if that is a valid option.

I guess my dark horse would be Redmond, with Westerman winning the RG spot.  One thing is for sure, the runs to the right side wouldn't be getting blown back and short yardage would seem a much better option on that side with that change in personnel.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 03:11 PM)cooper Wrote: RT is the least of the concerns on the offensive line

this line will do well this year..better players and Mike Browns spy on the field and Marvin Lewis nemesis, Paul alexander is gone

Though I think it will be certainly improved, I have no idea how you call it "the least of the concerns on the offensive line".  Regardless, love the optimism. 
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of people are selling Hopkins short.  I think he will probably be the starting RG, but would not be surprised to see Westerman take it.

At RT I worry about Fisher.  Before last season he said his medication for his heart condition made him sluggish so he stopped taking it, but he did not look very good during the season.  I think his heart condition is a bigger problem than a lot of people realize.

Hart could resurrect his career here.  Look what a change of teams did for Reggie Nelson and Cedric Benson.  But while it is possible I don't think it is probable.

They say Ogbuehi has improved and is in the running for the RT spot, but I just don't see it happening.  

My surprise pick for RT is Alex Redmond.  Geno Atkins is the only guy on the team stronger than him and he is long enough (6'5") to play OT.

LT..Glenn
LG..Boling
OC..Price
RG..Hopkins
RT..Redmond

With you on Redmond, but there is no way Hopkins beats Westerman at RG.  There is a reason the team had two different 100 yard rushers at the end of the season last year and Westerman was a part of that formula.  Hopkins is a good dude, and a hard worker, but he simply doesn't have the anchor or drive to be a RG.  
Reply/Quote
Westerman at RG
Redmond at RT

I believe both showed enough at the end of last season against good competition to warrant their shots.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 07:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Curious what you are basing the “Hart is not as bad” statement on. He was bad in college, bad in NY, what has he done here to change that? Hasn’t even had a padded practice yet.

Yep.  To be honest, if I judge based off what I saw during his time in Tallahassee, I'd rather roll with Ogbuehi.  No shit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know enough about Perkins to say, and we will find out very quickly if Bobby Hart was just an insurance policy or if Frank Pollak saw something when he faced the Giants twice a year.

I guess my default would be Fisher, as I feel he has the agility and the strength.  I think he seems like a better fit in Pollak's system than that of Alexander.  It will be interesting to see how he responds to the extra time off and a new offense.

I think Redmond or Westerman could win the job at RT if Fisher isn't looking very good very early.  Both of them are fighting for what seems to be one spot (RG) and I think they both are very capable run blockers.  I will need to see them get some snaps at RT in the preseason (won't be many to go around) in order to see if that is a valid option.

I guess my dark horse would be Redmond, with Westerman winning the RG spot.  One thing is for sure, the runs to the right side wouldn't be getting blown back and short yardage would seem a much better option on that side with that change in personnel.  

What about the crazy idea of Glenn and Boling at OT spots, Redmond and Westerman at OG spots, Price at C?
That's something I thought could work but out of left field if none of Fisher, Ogbuehi, or Hart actually does well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 08:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you on Redmond, but there is no way Hopkins beats Westerman at RG.  There is a reason the team had two different 100 yard rushers at the end of the season last year and Westerman was a part of that formula.  Hopkins is a good dude, and a hard worker, but he simply doesn't have the anchor or drive to be a RG.  

When the run scheme changed Hopkins started to have a good season before he was injured. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:26 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You caught me. I am pleased to have him, I’m just tired of hearing how he’s the best thing since sliced bread. I do wish him much success, I just can’t remember reading this much hoopla over a position coach.

I mean....his predecessor was here for 25 years.  It's more about losing that boat anchor than anything.  Alexander hand picked Fisher and Ogbuehi.  Alexander was run game coordinator of a dismal run game.  Alexander pretty much had a HUGE part in tanking the last two seasons.  Alexander coached a passive blocking scheme where the lineman reacts to the defender instead of attacking him.  Alexander used arm pads and little else in practices.  Once Lazor told him to sit down and shut up last season, the run game improved dramatically.  Even the pass pro improved.  Alexander played favorites.

Enter Pollack.  Clean slate, no favorites.  He preaches an aggressive technique where the OL punches the defender in the mouth instead of retreating and reacting.  He has brought in old school practice equipment like the chute, and is running a more intense, more disciplined practice by all accounts.  Pollack has overseen one of the best o lines in all of football over the last couple years.  Pollack has openly embraced the added help of Jim McNally and other Bengal greats from the past instead of letting his ego get in the way.

Yeah, I can't imagine why there's hype surrounding this guy.... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: At this point with the new line coach I haven't written anyone off. We as fans really don't know exactly what we really have. If it was as many expected and the main culprit was PA then the two top draft picks may just turn into top linemen. On the other hand it's possible Pollack talks a good game, but isn't really capable of doing what we're hoping for and they continue to flounder.. The truth is we really won't know how this bunch is going to turn out until we get to see them play against other teams with live football teams.
Personally I think they're going to turn things around and we'll see a whole different offensive line, but for now it's a whole lot of hoping and speculation. 

Has somebody hacked or kidnapped Grapahol ? 

Does not read like his normal posts. lol

Exactly right though.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I mean....his predecessor was here for 25 years.  It's more about losing that boat anchor than anything.  Alexander hand picked Fisher and Ogbuehi.  Alexander was run game coordinator of a dismal run game.  Alexander pretty much had a HUGE part in tanking the last two seasons.  Alexander coached a passive blocking scheme where the lineman reacts to the defender instead of attacking him.  Alexander used arm pads and little else in practices.  Once Lazor told him to sit down and shut up last season, the run game improved dramatically.  Even the pass pro improved.  Alexander played favorites.

Enter Pollack.  Clean slate, no favorites.  He preaches an aggressive technique where the OL punches the defender in the mouth instead of retreating and reacting.  He has brought in old school practice equipment like the chute, and is running a more intense, more disciplined practice by all accounts.  Pollack has overseen one of the best o lines in all of football over the last couple years.  Pollack has openly embraced the added help of Jim McNally and other Bengal greats from the past instead of letting his ego get in the way.

Great post

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say Westerman at RG, and the rookie Taylor at RT... Gotta be different...
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What about the crazy idea of Glenn and Boling at OT spots, Redmond and Westerman at OG spots, Price at C?
That's something I thought could work but out of left field if none of Fisher, Ogbuehi, or Hart actually does well.

I brought that up on another thread and actually believe that could be our best option.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:31 AM)Synric Wrote: When the run scheme changed Hopkins started to have a good season before he was injured. 

I think you are being a little generous with the word "good".  But it is probably hard to judge any G when the Center is an open door next to you. 
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 07:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Curious what you are basing the “Hart is not as bad” statement on. He was bad in college, bad in NY, what has he done here to change that? Hasn’t even had a padded practice yet.

He wouldn't of gotten drafted if he was bad in college.

Not saying he is good, just saying he might not be the complete schlub some were saying when we signed him
and Pollack must of seen something in the guy.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 08:54 AM)Beaker Wrote: Westerman at RG
Redmond at RT

I believe both showed enough at the end of last season against good competition to warrant their shots.

I like both guys but has Redmond ever played at RT?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I mean....his predecessor was here for 25 years.  It's more about losing that boat anchor than anything.  Alexander hand picked Fisher and Ogbuehi.  Alexander was run game coordinator of a dismal run game.  Alexander pretty much had a HUGE part in tanking the last two seasons.  Alexander coached a passive blocking scheme where the lineman reacts to the defender instead of attacking him.  Alexander used arm pads and little else in practices.  Once Lazor told him to sit down and shut up last season, the run game improved dramatically.  Even the pass pro improved.  Alexander played favorites.

You know it Wyche, i will say it again, i don't know how anyone that is a Bengal fan would not like what Frank Pollack
has brought here. PA was our biggest weakness cause he had such a big ego and played favorites, cannot do this as a
coach, this is the exact opposite of Pollack and guys like Scarnecchia in New England.

They start the best players period.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He wouldn't of gotten drafted if he was bad in college.

Not saying he is good, just saying he might not be the complete schlub some were saying when we signed him
and Pollack must of seen something in the guy.

Trust us Seminoles fans Nate.....he was pretty shitty. LMAO

Reply/Quote