Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Would You Pick to Man the Right Side of The Line?
(06-27-2018, 01:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Trust us Seminoles fans Nate.....he was pretty shitty. LMAO

Okay, you would know, just hope Pollack can coach one of these guys up at RT.

Saw some good highlights of Taylor and Perkins played good against the Ravens in the last game.

I think between all of these guys we should find someone serviceable, Even Redmond is a thought with his long arms
and road grading demeanor. I would tend to think that Pollack would of drafted a RT earlier if he didn't think we were
good, Fisher i still believe is the leading candidate at RT if his heart problem is over.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Trust us Seminoles fans Nate.....he was pretty shitty. LMAO

Also read that he doesn't have the best "team spirit".... We just got rid of 1 mental meltdown case and could possibly be adding another..
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:37 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I mean....his predecessor was here for 25 years.  It's more about losing that boat anchor than anything.  Alexander hand picked Fisher and Ogbuehi.  Alexander was run game coordinator of a dismal run game.  Alexander pretty much had a HUGE part in tanking the last two seasons.  Alexander coached a passive blocking scheme where the lineman reacts to the defender instead of attacking him.  Alexander used arm pads and little else in practices.  Once Lazor told him to sit down and shut up last season, the run game improved dramatically.  Even the pass pro improved.  Alexander played favorites.

Enter Pollack.  Clean slate, no favorites.  He preaches an aggressive technique where the OL punches the defender in the mouth instead of retreating and reacting.  He has brought in old school practice equipment like the chute, and is running a more intense, more disciplined practice by all accounts.  Pollack has overseen one of the best o lines in all of football over the last couple years.  Pollack has openly embraced the added help of Jim McNally and other Bengal greats from the past instead of letting his ego get in the way.

Yeah, I can't imagine why there's hype surrounding this guy.... Ninja
I agree with pretty much all that you say and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. It’s just the restatement thread after thread that makes my head spin. A new philosophy was way overdue, the line should automatically be better because of the new pieces though. I’m not bashing Pollack at all. I guess one thing that I’m skeptical about is this was a fan appeasement to just keep bringing Marvin back. It took all of the emphasis off of Marvin and everyone seems to have forgotten that he’s still the top dog. You could literally see it in Marvin’s eyes last year that he was worn out and had given up. PA needed to be gone regardless. I just don’t know how much a OL coach who has to listen to a OC who has to listen to a Marvin will matter. Improved technique will matter, sure. Will Pollack have the say on schemes and who plays where and when they play though? I want to be super optimistic like most on here but I’ve bought in so many times and would like to see some results first.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You know it Wyche, i will say it again, i don't know how anyone that is a Bengal fan would not like what Frank Pollack
has brought here. PA was our biggest weakness cause he had such a big ego and played favorites, cannot do this as a
coach, this is the exact opposite of Pollack and guys like Scarnecchia in New England.

They start the best players period.

My point is, what has Pollack brought here? I’m sorry, but I need real game results first. You think that Pollack will have say over who starts or who plays when over Marvin? I’ll have to see huge line improvements in games first before I’m that giddy about Pollack. I say huge because the new talent automatically makes the line better even if PA were still here. I like that they brought Pollack in. It seems like a good move and I hope that he’s not handcuffed. I just like to let things play out before I heap, heap and heap praise on someone. That doesn’t mean that I’m right, I’m just a results first type person.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote:              I agree with pretty much all that you say and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. It’s just the restatement thread after thread that makes my head spin. A new philosophy was way overdue, the line should automatically be better because of the new pieces though. I’m not bashing Pollack at all. I guess one thing that I’m skeptical about is this was a fan appeasement to just keep bringing Marvin back. It took all of the emphasis off of Marvin and everyone seems to have forgotten that he’s still the top dog. You could literally see it in Marvin’s eyes last year that he was worn out and had given up. PA needed to be gone regardless. I just don’t know how much a OL coach who has to listen to a OC who has to listen to a Marvin will matter. Improved technique will matter, sure. Will Pollack have the say on schemes and who plays where and when they play though? I want to be super optimistic like most on here but I’ve bought in so many times and would like to see some results first.

I feel you on that my man.....lots of good points.  I have the same doubts you do.  I also understand what you mean about it being rehashed over and over, but it's the offseason....lol.  As you hint at, the proof will be in the pudding.  Lazor was ballsy enough to shut down PA, maybe he's ballsy enough to do what he thinks is right.  Hope is all we have I guess.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I feel you on that my man.....lots of good points.  I have the same doubts you do.  I also understand what you mean about it being rehashed over and over, but it's the offseason....lol.  As you hint at, the proof will be in the pudding.  Lazor was ballsy enough to shut down PA, maybe he's ballsy enough to do what he thinks is right.  Hope is all we have I guess.

I do like what I got to see from Lazor. I do think that Pollck will help bring back an emphasis to the run game and that’s a huge part of what’s been missing.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: My point is, what has Pollack brought here? I’m sorry, but I need real game results first. You think that Pollack will have say over who starts or who plays when over Marvin? I’ll have to see huge line improvements in games first before I’m that giddy about Pollack. I say huge because the new talent automatically makes the line better even if PA were still here. I like that they brought Pollack in. It seems like a good move and I hope that he’s not handcuffed. I just like to let things play out before I heap, heap and heap praise on someone. That doesn’t mean that I’m right, I’m just a results first type person.

Whether it is Pollack or not, since he got here we brought in Glenn and Price.

A proven NFL Left Tackle and arguably the best Center in the Draft.

I think he had a hand in this.

Also i might add that i think you will be seeing those results pretty soon once the O-line starts to gel.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: My point is, what has Pollack brought here? I’m sorry, but I need real game results first. You think that Pollack will have say over who starts or who plays when over Marvin? I’ll have to see huge line improvements in games first before I’m that giddy about Pollack. I say huge because the new talent automatically makes the line better even if PA were still here. I like that they brought Pollack in. It seems like a good move and I hope that he’s not handcuffed. I just like to let things play out before I heap, heap and heap praise on someone. That doesn’t mean that I’m right, I’m just a results first type person.

He brought a pretty impressive resume with him. He's more of a "do it my way or hit the highway" kind of coach, which I think the players will respect more just because it hard-nose football which O-linemen love.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: At this point with the new line coach I haven't written anyone off. We as fans really don't know exactly what we really have. If it was as many expected and the main culprit was PA then the two top draft picks may just turn into top linemen. On the other hand it's possible Pollack talks a good game, but isn't really capable of doing what we're hoping for and they continue to flounder.. The truth is we really won't know how this bunch is going to turn out until we get to see them play against other teams with live football teams.
Personally I think they're going to turn things around and we'll see a whole different offensive line, but for now it's a whole lot of hoping and speculation. 

You're right there are no guarantees about how the O Line and Pollack turn out.  But sometimes just a change of personality and emphasis is all it takes.  And judging by what the players are saying they like both the change in emphasis and love his intensity.  So I share your optimism.

The key will be how long they sustain the energy and how well other teams adjust to us.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: My point is, what has Pollack brought here? 

Coach Pollack has brought hope, enthusiasm, and provides a breath of fresh air at a position coaching a group that had grown past stale.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:26 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You caught me. I am pleased to have him, I’m just tired of hearing how he’s the best thing since sliced bread. I do wish him much success, I just can’t remember reading this much hoopla over a position coach.

LOL it was funny.  I know what you mean about the bandwagoning, but as we have entered the dead zone of the offseason we are limited in what we can discuss and, after last season, are in dire need of some substantial hope.

My son's with you.  He's telling me to get real and get a life.

My ardent hope is he will pay by swallowing the successful revitalization of the Bengal's O Line and a return to playoff success.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I do like what I got to see from Lazor. I do think that Pollck will help bring back an emphasis to the run game and that’s a huge part of what’s been missing.

Agreed.  I know things change, but I could never envision myself playing G and letting people come to me.  I think a guy would much rather take the fight to the defender......which seems to be FP's M.O.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I am not going to predict just yet but wanted to make a couple points. If Westerman doesn't win the RG position at this point in his career, then all the scouting reports I read about him must have been off. I am surprised he didn't win the position last year. Hopkins has skill but also injury history. I would rather see Westerman as backup Center as he was compared to Mack coming out of college. Westerman could cover two positions as RG starter and backup Center. RT position is a wildcard. I know there is a lot of hate for Hart but the Bengals were quick to pick him up, so they see something in him. Rod Taylor played LT, RT, and RG in college. He had shoulder and ankle injuries that limited his exposure. He was a 5-star recruit coming out of HS. Not only do I see Taylor making the roster, but I could see him in the battle for RT.

I worry about Fisher. I worry about his heart condition and overall health. Life is more important than football. I know he is cleared to play but his condition still worries me. The team that drafted OG in first round will be hesitant to not give him every opportunity to win the RT position. It may come down to the health of players at the end of camp. I am not as worried about RG position because Hopkins, Westerman, Redmond, and Taylor could all player there. I am concerned about RT. I still see the Bengals drafting an OT day two of next year's draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 09:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I mean....his predecessor was here for 25 years.  It's more about losing that boat anchor than anything.  Alexander hand picked Fisher and Ogbuehi.  Alexander was run game coordinator of a dismal run game.  Alexander pretty much had a HUGE part in tanking the last two seasons.  Alexander coached a passive blocking scheme where the lineman reacts to the defender instead of attacking him.  Alexander used arm pads and little else in practices.  Once Lazor told him to sit down and shut up last season, the run game improved dramatically.  Even the pass pro improved.  Alexander played favorites.

Enter Pollack.  Clean slate, no favorites.  He preaches an aggressive technique where the OL punches the defender in the mouth instead of retreating and reacting.  He has brought in old school practice equipment like the chute, and is running a more intense, more disciplined practice by all accounts.  Pollack has overseen one of the best o lines in all of football over the last couple years.  Pollack has openly embraced the added help of Jim McNally and other Bengal greats from the past instead of letting his ego get in the way.

Yeah, I can't imagine why there's hype surrounding this guy.... Ninja

This post perfectly embodies why I'm excited.   I want to say that I think Alexander proved over the years to be a talented and knowledgeable OL coach - his peers clearly believe this.  But I hated his last several years here.  Hated his hubris, hated his draft choices and hated his response to reasonable questions.  My outside take was that he was an arrogant inflexible jerk.

I expect he'll do fine in Dallas.  But I'm not going to lie, I hope he flops.  But I don't think he will and I would just rather Pollack and our new line just out and out kill it.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I brought that up on another thread and actually believe that could be our best option.  

I don't think it would ever  happen.   But after the job Boling did last season at tackle I'd be up for it.  I thought he was a stud there in the last two games.   I think that would be a monster line.

Won't happen though.  He's been too good over time at LG, and I think they need some sort of continuity.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 02:44 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I do like what I got to see from Lazor. I do think that Pollck will help bring back an emphasis to the run game and that’s a huge part of what’s been missing.

I like a LOT of what I'm seeing/ hearing from and about Lazor.

I thought when he first took over (before I knew anything about him), OK we have the Beaver Cleaver coach who's going to get the Dave Shula award for competence and originality.

But the guy is panning out big time. If he succeeds over the next two years we're going to need to go back to the inheritance clause for head coach.   And if he's that successful maybe Marvin will be ready to call it a wrap.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He wouldn't of gotten drafted if he was bad in college.

Not saying he is good, just saying he might not be the complete schlub some were saying when we signed him
and Pollack must of seen something in the guy.

One, I watched every single one of his games in college, as I am a Noles fan. Two, players are not drafted based on college production, they are drafted based on potential. He has a lot of physical potential, why he was a 5-star recruit, he has no mental potential. He was criticized and benched multiple times in college for lack of effort and work ethic. He’s a fat shclub that got away with just being the bigger guy in high school. Doesn’t work in college or the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 03:52 PM)3wt Wrote: This post perfectly embodies why I'm excited.   I want to say that I think Alexander proved over the years to be a talented and knowledgeable OL coach - his peers clearly believe this.  But I hated his last several years here.  Hated his hubris, hated his draft choices and hated his response to reasonable questions.  My outside take was that he was an arrogant inflexible jerk.

I expect he'll do fine in Dallas.  But I'm not going to lie, I hope he flops.  But I don't think he will and I would just rather Pollack and our new line just out and out kill it.

Same way PA came off to me as well. Cannot imagine how he came off to the players that saw him every day.

Another reason why Pollack is a breath of fresh air compared to this guy.

(06-27-2018, 04:04 PM)3wt Wrote: I like a LOT of what I'm seeing/ hearing from and about Lazor.

I thought when he first took over (before I knew anything about him), OK we have the Beaver Cleaver coach who's going to get the Dave Shula award for competence and originality.

But the guy is panning out big time. If he succeeds over the next two years we're going to need to go back to the inheritance clause for head coach.   And if he's that successful maybe Marvin will be ready to call it a wrap.

Lazor had a lot better resume than Zampese when he got here and thought he should of been the OC from the start.

He will definately be in the running for the next HC if his Offense improves dramatically.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2018, 04:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: One, I watched every single one of his games in college, as I am a Noles fan. Two, players are not drafted based on college production, they are drafted based on potential. He has a lot of physical potential, why he was a 5-star recruit, he has no mental potential. He was criticized and benched multiple times in college for lack of effort and work ethic. He’s a fat shclub that got away with just being the bigger guy in high school. Doesn’t work in college or the NFL.

Okay Yo, i take it back brother. You Noles fans know more than I do about the dude.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2018, 05:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I see Westerman winning the RG spot. With Pollack's emphasis on getting hands up fast and punching through the blocks, I think Westerman, being that he is an undefeated boxer, will win. At RT I think as long as Fisher's heart holds up, I suspect he will be the starting tackle.

I pretty well agree with this.  Unless someone busts out in training camp and preseason my starters:

Glenn
Boling
Price
Westerman
Fisher
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote