Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who believes Trump gets a fair civil trial in NYC?
https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/donald-trump-new-york-ag-letitia-james-civil-trial

This is the judge smiling ear to ear for the cameras. This is not a jury trial, this elected Democratic judge has the final say of a case brought by an Democratic elected James who ran on getting Trump.

Can you say a money grab by NYC due to their poor fiscal responsibility?

You would think the judge would at least pretend to be impartial, but nope, he is just another corrupt judge in a corrupt NYC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/donald-trump-new-york-ag-letitia-james-civil-trial

This is the judge smiling ear to ear for the cameras. This is not a jury trial, this elected Democratic judge has the final say of a case brought by an Democratic elected James who ran on getting Trump.

Can you say a money grab by NYC due to their poor fiscal responsibility?

You would think the judge would at least pretend to be impartial, but nope, he is just another corrupt judge in a corrupt NYC.

Why do you hate America?  Greatest legal system in the world! Right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Wait, I thought this wasn't a trial of Trump. Isn't that what we heard when the summary judgement came out? I'm confused.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Of course, he can get a fair trial in New York, Washington DC, Florida, and Georgia. But, we also know that Trump has brainwashed his followers into believing that only conservatives can properly judge conservatives and only conservatives can properly judge liberals. We cannot ignore the fact that every trial, in his life, that he has lost, it was it was rigged against him, the judge was incompetent or prejudiced against him.

If/When Trump loses it will be because the preponderance of the evidence will show he was liable for the charges against him. And we will expect the usual whining from him about how unfair it all was with his Greek chorus echoing his laments loud and far so all the faithful can know their leader was a victim yet again.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Trump is having a bench trial because his lawyers failed to request a jury trial..

Reply/Quote
Life isn't fair. Suck it up butternuts.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 05:40 PM)pally Wrote: Trump is having a bench trial because his lawyers failed to request a jury trial..

This is a liberal false talking point. The James team filed this case using a statute making it impossible to ask for a jury trial. Trump's attorney addressed this saying, no I did not forget to check a box for a jury trial. It was never an option.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't think Trump could get a fair trial anywhere, and that cuts both ways. I think it's literally impossible to find twelve impartial people when it comes to Trump. As for a bench trial, it's more likely, but judges are human too, and if the 9th circuit's treatment of 2A cases of late is any indication, they aren't above letting their personal biases get in the way of the law.

But to be clear, I think the vast majority of judges do their utmost to be impartial.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 05:40 PM)pally Wrote: Trump is having a bench trial because his lawyers failed to request a jury trial..

Yep, an di love how his legal team is trying to be like "oh no, that's not it" so they can cover their asses. There is nothing that prohibits a jury trial in these cases. James requested a bench trial, very common in civil litigation. Had the Trump team simply filed an opposition to that then it would trigger the right to a trial by jury and that would be it. But, you know, Trump only hires the best people. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

(10-03-2023, 11:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is a liberal false talking point. The James team filed this case using a statute making it impossible to ask for a jury trial. Trump's attorney addressed this saying, no I did not forget to check a box for a jury trial. It was never an option.

(10-03-2023, 12:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep, an di love how his legal team is trying to be like "oh no, that's not it" so they can cover their asses. There is nothing that prohibits a jury trial in these cases. James requested a bench trial, very common in civil litigation. Had the Trump team simply filed an opposition to that then it would trigger the right to a trial by jury and that would be it. But, you know, Trump only hires the best people. LOL

I just don't know who to believe.    Mellow

Oh wait...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willskipworth/2023/10/02/trump-gripes-its-unfair-he-doesnt-have-a-jury-but-he-never-asked-for-one-in-ny-fraud-case/?sh=43ff15e85172

Quote:Trump Gripes It’s ‘Unfair’ He Doesn’t Have A Jury—But He Never Asked For One In N.Y. Fraud Case

[/url]William Skipworth
Forbes Staff

I am a breaking news reporter.
Follow

Oct 2, 2023,06:05pm EDT

[color=var(--foreground-color)]Listen to article3 minutes

[/color]

TOPLINE

Former President Donald Trump said Monday afternoon that "I think it's very unfair I don't have a jury” in remarks made after exiting the courtroom for his New York fraud trial, even though the reason he has no jury is because his lawyers elected not to.

KEY FACTS
Trump’s attorneys, acting on his behalf, waived his right to a jury trial earlier this year, according to [url=https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASeFiledDocsDetail?county_code=PGLUU8DnevmKCLDQivECXg%3D%3D&txtIndexNo=ay5I6UuyYb7Yp97dJEJfqQ%3D%3D&showMenu=no&isPreRji=N&civilCase=tXrXBJAw7GMBTQgLwHMMSw%3D%3D]online court records.

Trump also falsely said on Monday “we’re not entitled to a jury, which is pretty unusual in the United States of America.”

Trump was entitled to a jury, but his lawyers chose to have a bench trial, meaning the judge will make the final determination.

The New York Attorney General’s office is asking the judge to hand down $250 million in fines, bar Trump from making commercial real estate acquisitions for five years and ban him and his children from leading companies in New York.

KEY BACKGROUND
In the civil trial, taking place in New York City, Trump is accused of defrauding banks, investors and other business partners by exaggerating the value of his assets in order to gain more favorable terms and agreements. State Attorney General Letitia James’ office, which is bringing the case, alleges Trump, his adult sons and the Trump Organization inflated his net worth by as much as $3.6 billion at times. Monday marked the first day of the trial. Trump attended in person, even though he wasn’t required to, generating a massive amount of media attention. Trump, who is the front-runner in the Republican presidential primary, has continually lambasted the trial, calling it a “sham” meant to derail his political prospects. Before the trial began, Judge Arthur Engoron, who is presiding over the case, found Trump and his business liable for fraud. He issued a ruling last week declaring that Trump and the Trump Organization had misstated the value of the company’s assets and ordered Trump’s business certificates to be canceled. The trial is scheduled to last as long as three months, but could end sooner depending on how it progresses.

TANGENT
The first day of the trial included opening statements that often got heated. Trump’s lead lawyer, Christopher Kise, said that the discrepancies in stated value of Trump’s assets had “no nefarious intent,” but rather “simply reflects the change in a complex, sophisticated real estate development corporation,” the New York Times reported. Kise added: “Banks and insurers know that the statements are estimates; they are not designed to be absolutes.” Kevin Wallace, attorney for James’ office, said: "Year after year, loan after loan, the defendants misrepresented Mr. Trump’s net worth to maintain those favorable interest rates,” CNN reported. The first day of trial also saw the first witness testify. Donald Bender, Trump's long-time accountant at Mazars USA, was summoned by the attorney general’s office, according to CNN. Bender testified that, on multiple occasions, he would flag errors in the Trump Organization’s financial statements. He is set to continue testifying on the second day of the trial Tuesday.
Reply/Quote
yesterday afternoon, Trump thanked the judge for "dismissing" 80% of the fraud charges due to the "statute of limitations". Today, the Judge said, not so fast Donald, the statute of limitations resets every time you use that information.

For example, 2013 is outside the statute of limitation for charging purposes but if 2015 financial statements were based in part on those fraudulent 2013 financial statements then the statute of limitations resets to 2015

Trump really must stop relying on his own creative interpretations of the law...it gets him into trouble as often as his mouth does

Reply/Quote
I like to think there is a parallel dimension where Trump built his empire in Oklahoma and then decided to enter politics and become the face of the democratic party and is currently under a totally unfair witch hunt by an ultra conservative prosecutor who is only out to get him because he's a liberal.
Reply/Quote
P01135809 isn't helping himself...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/03/trump-new-york-fraud-trial-update?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

J
Quote:Judge issues gag order after Trump’s comments on court clerk in civil trial
The second day of Trump’s trial got off to another combative start after Trump branded the case a ‘fraud’ and ‘scam’

Dominic Rushe and agencies
Tue 3 Oct 2023 15.37 EDT

The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial issued a gag order on Tuesday after the former president made comments about the judge’s clerk.
“Consider this statement a gag order forbidding all parties from posting, emailing or speaking publicly about any of my staff,” the judge, Arthur Engoron, said on Tuesday afternoon. “Personal attacks on members of my court staff are unacceptable, inappropriate and I will not tolerate them in any circumstances.

“Failure to abide by this order will result in serious sanctions.”

The second day of Trump’s trial got off to another combative start after Trump branded the case a “fraud” and a “scam” and pledged to take the stand in his own defense.

Asked if he would testify in the case, Trump said: “Yes, I will. At the appropriate time I will be.”

But Trump’s comments about Engoron’s law clerk, the attorney Allison Greenfield, proved a step too far. Over lunch Trump attacked Engoron’s clerk in a social media post, linking to a picture of her with the Democratic Senate majority leader, Chuck Schumer. He called her “Schumer’s girlfriend” and said she “is running this case against me. How disgraceful! This case should be dismissed immediately.”

The post on Trump’s Truth Social platform was deleted on Engoron’s orders.

The case threatens to dismantle parts of the former US president’s business empire and sharply curtail his ability to do business in New York.

Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, is accused along with his two sons and nearly a dozen business associates of inflating the value of his assets by billions of dollars to secure more favorable loan and insurance terms.

Trump has denied wrongdoing and his lawyers have said they will appeal.

The Democratic state attorney general, Letitia James, is seeking at least $250m in fines, a permanent ban against Trump and his sons Donald Jr and Eric from running businesses in New York and a five-year commercial real estate ban against Trump and the Trump Organization.

On Tuesday the court heard from Donald Bender, Trump’s longtime accountant and formerly at Mazars USA. Prosecutors made their case that the Trumps had withheld information from their accountants as they inflated the worth of their assets. Bender said he became aware that “there were certain appraisals we hadn’t seen for certain years”.

The trial comes a week after Engoron ruled that Trump committed fraud and canceled business certificates for companies that control the crown jewels of his portfolio, including Trump Tower and 40 Wall Street in Manhattan. Engoron said he would appoint receivers to oversee their dissolution.

Trump attended the trial on Monday, entering the courtroom with his trademark glower and a retinue of Secret Service agents after being waved past police who hand-searched the bags of reporters and members of the public in attendance.
Reply/Quote